Rusty trebles

bulldogs195461

24 minutes ago, bulldogs195461 said:

G'day all 

Some of my trebles on my lures have rust, should I change them? Cheers john

If the hooks are decent quality and are still strong just give them a soak in WD40 overnight and that should get rid of the surface rust if you don’t have enough WD40 to soak them with then just give them a good spray with WD40 and let them dry for few hours or over night after they are done drying just get a tissue and rub the rusty parts of the hook and the surface rust should just come off easy the hooks will smell like WD40 after so I usually dip the hooks in freshwater and dry them then rub a tiny bit of S factor on the hooks to mask the WD40 smell you could use other fish scents like pro cure or berkley to . I’ve done it without scent before and haven’t had any issues with the fish and the WD40 smell I think as long as you dip them in freshwater after and dry them that gets rid of most of the smell it’s still there but isn’t as strong so feel free to use scent at the end or not it’s your call and props doesn’t make much difference . If the hooks are still rusty after doing that or they bend easily just chuck them out and replace them with decent hooks . Hope that helps 

On 25/04/2021 at 9:23 AM, bulldogs195461 said:

G'day all 

Some of my trebles on my lures have rust, should I change them? Cheers john

Definitely change them, If you had damaged braid, you'd change it, or if your reel had a stiff drag, same thing, you'd fix it. Hooks are probably the most important thing in the whole set up as that's what is going to get you attached and stay attached, so keep-um new, keep them strong, keep them sharp.

I usually order a few boxes of different sizes in bulk (25) packs every couple years, only about $13 - $25 a box for the usual sizes. And about once every year, on a rainy Winters day i'll get all my tackle boxes out, crack a few beers, put some tunes on, and change all the ones with rust.  https://www.motackle.com.au/fishing/hooks/treble-hooks/vmc-t9626-3x-saltwater-barra-treble-25pcs.html

Definitely change them, If you had damaged braid, you'd change it, or if your reel had a stiff drag, same thing, you'd fix it. Hooks are probably the most important thing in the whole set up as that's what is going to get you attached and stay attached, so keep-um new, keep them strong, keep them sharp.

I usually order a few boxes of different sizes in bulk (25) packs every couple years, only about $13 - $25 a box for the usual sizes. And about once every year, on a rainy Winters day i'll get all my tackle boxes out, crack a few beers, put some tunes on, and change all the ones with rust.  https://www.motackle.com.au/fishing/hooks/treble-hooks/vmc-t9626-3x-saltwater-barra-treble-25pcs.html