Urangan (Hervey bay) rock wall fishing

Gene4567

Hi guys,

I head up to Hervey bay a couple times a year for a holiday.

I normally just head down to Urangan peir for a flick but it is always crowded an isnt the most convenient for where I stay

Im staying at the Mantra at the Urangan marina, I've tried fishing the flats southern side of the marina without much success (I haven't really got the gear to do so though.)

This may be a stupid question but I'd rather ask. 

Are you allowed to fish along the rock walls at the Urangan marina? 

Thank you,

Gene?

12 hours ago, Gene4567 said:

Hi guys,

I head up to Hervey bay a couple times a year for a holiday.

I normally just head down to Urangan peir for a flick but it is always crowded an isnt the most convenient for where I stay

Im staying at the Mantra at the Urangan marina, I've tried fishing the flats southern side of the marina without much success (I haven't really got the gear to do so though.)

This may be a stupid question but I'd rather ask. 

Are you allowed to fish along the rock walls at the Urangan marina? 

Thank you,

Gene?

i dont know about being allowed to or not, but i know friends of mine used to catch plenty of smaller trevally just off the rocks in their little boat

12 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Gene

I've always heard of golden trevally being taken on flats at Hervey Bay. I don't know entirely, but maybe venturing up North out of town a smidge would be more rewarding?

Cheers Hamish

Hi Chris, I will be giving the shoreline ago around point Vernon so hopefully I can find some luck.

Thanks 

On 30/04/2021 at 4:47 PM, Old Scaley said:

You used to be able to drive out along the southern wall and park your car and fish into or outside the harbour. Not sure you can do that anymore. People have caught good bream and cod there, and the occasional mackerel on the outside of the wall. You can fish Shelly Beach (or pretty much any beach) for whiting if they are around. The rock ledges beside the boat ramp at Gatakers Bay can be fishable at low tide for smallish redefines like parrot and Swéetlip, but fish as light as you can because there are lots of rocky snags.  Eli Creek mouth can be good for whiting and flathead on low tide. Same for the mouth of Bielby Creek at Toogum. Lots of options up there. The local paper usually has a fishing report, so maybe grab a copy when you get there. Good luck.

Thanks for all the detail mate! I'm replying as I fish along the rock wall I was asking about.

I tried  gatakers bay last time I was up (just flicking a lure) it seemed promising at the time and will be heading back. I've missed the tides for the time I'm hear so low tide is great for me.

The weather has done me a dirty at the moment but hopefully it picks up tomorrow. Thank you again for the in-depth information. Its really appreciated

• 1 year later...

I used to wade the last km or so from River Heads (Fraser Island side) for reasonable catches, bream grunter and flathead in my younger years. If you wade the same area at low tide there is a chance of nailing a big golden there.....

It used to be sandy and rocky when i used to fish there, but looking at google earth images it might be more muddy now???   Either way it would be worth investigating.