snapper and tiny windows

Simo68

Nice work @Simo68. Seems like that window is working for you, so why change a winning formula. I know it is a very popular notion that you have to have lines in the water by sunrise but I am yet to be totally convinced. I can’t tell you how many times I have been out of bed at stupid o’clock to be on the water by dawn and the caught the first fish after 9am. But that might be just me. At least sunrise is a bit later from now and during winter so I will probably give it more of a go this year. 

Simon, are you targeting the squid for the table or the bait esky? And, did you see any macs being caught at the Rous?

I chase Snapper on the reefs off the Gold Coast, but same story, always best bite on first light. Hard to do sometimes if there is a bit of swell as you prefer some light to cross the Seaway.

We also usually get a second bite window on the tide change. Haven't tried sunset, early evening yet - just need to find time and good weather window.

Marty

5 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Nice work @Simo68. Seems like that window is working for you, so why change a winning formula. I know it is a very popular notion that you have to have lines in the water by sunrise but I am yet to be totally convinced. I can’t tell you how many times I have been out of bed at stupid o’clock to be on the water by dawn and the caught the first fish after 9am. But that might be just me. At least sunrise is a bit later from now and during winter so I will probably give it more of a go this year. 

Simon, are you targeting the squid for the table or the bait esky? And, did you see any macs being caught at the Rous?

targeting squid for the pan and also bait, bought a cryovac machine to keep them, brilliant contraption as they stay fresh as

i have a good recipe for squid if needed

no macs about as far as i could tell

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

Nice going Simon. I think it depends on location as to when they fire. I have noted from reports on AFO that the bigger specimens seem to come when it's dark or early mornings, but they may be because of the amount of boat traffic.

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

Nice going Simon. I think it depends on location as to when they fire. I have noted from reports on AFO that the bigger specimens seem to come when it's dark or early mornings, but they may be because of the amount of boat traffic.

bring on the big ones i say, will report back on a dusk trip as soon as i can get out again

5 hours ago, marty said:

I chase Snapper on the reefs off the Gold Coast, but same story, always best bite on first light. Hard to do sometimes if there is a bit of swell as you prefer some light to cross the Seaway.

We also usually get a second bite window on the tide change. Haven't tried sunset, early evening yet - just need to find time and good weather window.

Marty

always room for improvement Marty, keep us informed of any dusk escapades mate

I don't mind a late arvo session normally with a tide change thrown in there... just remember what u learn this yr/season doesn't always mean it will work next year/season.  Moreton Bay is forever evolving.  I like that your successful with morning sessions mate as I very rarely get quality fish in the bay fishing dawn..  

50 minutes ago, Cobiaaddict said:

I don't mind a late arvo session normally with a tide change thrown in there... just remember what u learn this yr/season doesn't always mean it will work next year/season.  Moreton Bay is forever evolving.  I like that your successful with morning sessions mate as I very rarely get quality fish in the bay fishing dawn..  

2 years of trying for snapper, now catching them on each of the last 5 trips (hope it lasts), mates just see a photo and ask to come out... not realising the time we put into the search😂

12 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great work @Simo68 - you have those snaps dialled in now mate! Some decent size there too - yum!!  Sounds like I might have to do some sounding around in the Rous Channel 🙂. Oh and it looks like you might need to get a 6-pack esky to put your sandwiches in ....... 🤔😉😀

yeah mate too true my lunch shares with blood, guts and a fair bit of ink need to address that

happy to to go out mate when you have a spare morning no worries 

11 hours ago, Simo68 said:

2 years of trying for snapper, now catching them on each of the last 5 trips (hope it lasts), mates just see a photo and ask to come out... not realising the time we put into the search😂

I know what you mean mate,  i have 1000's of hours logged in a diary chasing bay snapper,  its never easy trying to explain how much time , effort & technique goes in to finding productive spots. I can tell you from experience , nothing beats hooking 5-6kg of rampaging snapper in water less than 10m deep its a thrill in its self.