Hi to all fishos

Gas079

Hi all

It has been a while since I have been in here.  I live in Townsville and love to fish when I can my little girl and I go out when we can.  I am no expert in this area but I do love taking the boat our for the day.  My goal when I go out is to 1st try and catch a fish 2nd having fun when I'm on the water and 3rd is to come home safely.  I would like to learn more about fishing in my area and how to catch us a feed every time we go out but that's why they call it fishing!

So I hope to learn form everyone and maybe someone can learn from me in time.

Enjoy

Welcome @Gas079. It will be good to hear some reports from Townsville. I used to go up there for work a bit and used to stay on The Strand. I would usually take a walk along the front there in the morning before work. I can remember seeing mackerel working in very close to the shore on more than one occasion which got the blood pumping.

I know of a town just outside of Townsville called Bluewater. If you know zero to nothing about fishing buy a shimano sienna 2500 spool it with thin clear 6lb mono and later if you want you can spool it with 12lb braid and get some bigger fish .and match it with a daiwa RZ 2-4kg this setup will cost $100-$110 but will last awhile after this buy some size 8 short shank hooks and some line cutters and also some bread for bait . Learn how to tie the uni knot and you’ll be set to catch tilapia .Bluewater creek is full of them mold the bread whites on to the hook and cast out and you’ll be easily be able to land a few tilapia . Although you have to kill tilapia and dispose of them they make good practice especially for beginners and are excellent sport with light line . After catching a few tilapia you might be able to catch some whiting using the same techniques just with different bait such as prawns or blood worms

Welcome back too!

I'd try Ross creek and River. Surely around the marina you can get bread and butter fish like Bream, jacks and whiting maybe even small trevally. Black river and blue water creek. Just by looking at the maps. I have only been to the strand In Townsville so I have no idea where boat ramps are. But I would look on Google maps 3D and look for structure along banks of the rivers then work out how to get there in boat..