Spear Fishing for Eels

Eva.

Hi all I’m trying to give my grandfather his wish of finding a spot to catch sea eels in Queensland. He has fished his whole life and enjoys his time out.

He used to fish all through the NSW and towards the Victorian border now that he is in Queensland he wants to find a spot where he can get back to doing what makes him feel good and makes him happy. 

if anyone knows of any good spots to spearfish for sea eels not freshwater eels it would be so much appreciated. 

Thankyou 

14 hours ago, Eva. said:

Hi all I’m trying to give my grandfather his wish of finding a spot to catch sea eels in Queensland. He has fished his whole life and enjoys his time out.

He used to fish all through the NSW and towards the Victorian border now that he is in Queensland he wants to find a spot where he can get back to doing what makes him feel good and makes him happy. 

if anyone knows of any good spots to spearfish for sea eels not freshwater eels it would be so much appreciated. 

Thankyou 

Nice one. A great idea. It is interesting and a bit unusual but should be able to work out. Can you give us a bit more info? Do you mean Morae Eels? What sort of area did he fish for them in NSW? Estuary, reef, rivers, lakes? 

I'm not the best but I've caught big eels on rod and reels down near mission point in the channel at bribe.  I don't know if this will be helpful though because it is not the clearest of water most of the time.  another place you might be able to go would be flinders reef near the tip of Moreton island i imagine there would be eels there.

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice one. A great idea. It is interesting and a bit unusual but should be able to work out. Can you give us a bit more info? Do you mean Morae Eels? What sort of area did he fish for them in NSW? Estuary, reef, rivers, lakes? 

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Yes he said Moray Eels. 
he said he fished in these places in NSW;Jervis Bay, Bundeena, Batemans Bay, Byron Bay, Coffs Harbour, Nelson’s Bay, Newcastle, Wollongong, Kiama, Palm Beach, Bermagui.  

He fished by the rocks and used to dive at night for eels when he was younger. 

5 hours ago, Tuna are fish said:

I'm not the best but I've caught big eels on rod and reels down near mission point in the channel at bribe.  I don't know if this will be helpful though because it is not the clearest of water most of the time.  another place you might be able to go would be flinders reef near the tip of Moreton island i imagine there would be eels there.

Thanks for that, I let my grandfather know. 

On 05/05/2021 at 5:15 PM, Eva. said:

Thankyou 

Hey Eva.

Alright, so I assume you don't mean Pike Eels or Hairtail, and not freshwater ones. 

Moray Eels seem to be a critter that likes a bit of rock, or crevices, or something they can hide in. I was on a charter once at the GC Spit and we caught one, so I reckon a decent place to start would be some breakwalls. He'd also have the chance at huge Sea Bream, Trevally, Jacks, Cod, Reefies, Sharks, Rays, and even Jewfish!

Cheers Hamish

26 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Eva.

Alright, so I assume you don't mean Pike Eels or Hairtail, and not freshwater ones. 

Moray Eels seem to be a critter that likes a bit of rock, or crevices, or something they can hide in. I was on a charter once at the GC Spit and we caught one, so I reckon a decent place to start would be some breakwalls. He'd also have the chance at huge Sea Bream, Trevally, Jacks, Cod, Reefies, Sharks, Rays, and even Jewfish!

Cheers Hamish

Hi Hamish ,

Thankyou for that information, I’ve passed it on to my grandfather 🙂