Jump to content

Member Poll - Would Anyone Be Interested...


Brisbane River Competition  

10 members have voted

  1. 1. Should there be a Brisbane River Fishing Competition?

    • Yes, there should be a Brisbane River Fishing Competition.
      6
    • Yes, there should be a River Fishing Competition.
      5


Recommended Posts

... In a Brisbane River Fishing Comp?

Hi all

I've been thinking lately, and I recall reading an old thread on a comp called the Brisbane River Classic. I know not everyone on AFO would be able to compete in this unfortunately, as not everyone is near the river, but it may be a bit of fun.

The boundary could be one of the channel markers, maybe, and we could have different target species too. Maybe a list like - 

Pinky/Squire/Snapper - 

Threadfin Salmon - 

Jewfish - 

Bream - 

Pike Eel/Catfish/Vermin - 

Flathead - 

Best Crustacean Catch (Prawns or crabs) - 

Australian Bass (This comp would not be in close season) - 

Miscellaneous - 

And I'd be interested if anyone else would have any suggestions too 🙂

I know most things on AFO come with no cost so feel free to give this idea a big cross, but maybe everyone participating could pay a $-5-$10 fee, and then we could pool that to buy a simply prize for each category? Like a packet of soft plastics, or some new braid, etc. 

So, what does everyone think? Feel free to give the whole thing a big cross too if you don't think it would be any good. I don't know if it could be over a week, or month, or even a weekend, but it would be great fun in my opinion, I reckon. 

Cheers Hamish

Link to post
Share on other sites

the old Brisbane River Classic and Moreton Bay Classic were fantastic comps. Pretty sure the BRC used to even get a write up in local papers and fishing magazines which was cool. i just don't know if the numbers are there anymore for them. I would love to have them back and for this club to really start to grow in active numbers, but i feel as if the world of social media has people straying away from online forums like this now.  anyway that's a bit off topic

id be happy to help get this going again and happy to potentially participate too (bub number 2 on the way, so who knows what spare time ill have!). if the numbers are there, and we could get a report written for a local fishing mag then you might be able to attract some sponsors for some good prizes. Time for AFO to grow back to its former BFO glory! just my 2 cents

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, christophagus said:

the old Brisbane River Classic and Moreton Bay Classic were fantastic comps. Pretty sure the BRC used to even get a write up in local papers and fishing magazines which was cool. i just don't know if the numbers are there anymore for them. I would love to have them back and for this club to really start to grow in active numbers, but i feel as if the world of social media has people straying away from online forums like this now.  anyway that's a bit off topic

id be happy to help get this going again and happy to potentially participate too (bub number 2 on the way, so who knows what spare time ill have!). if the numbers are there, and we could get a report written for a local fishing mag then you might be able to attract some sponsors for some good prizes. Time for AFO to grow back to its former BFO glory! just my 2 cents

Hey Chris

I would love to get a write up in the local newspapers. It may not be the biggest competition but half the people on social media are annoying farts who like to criticize you on keeping fish.  

I reckon it could start pretty easily. It could go like this - 

1. Set up a set date for the competition to start, and then a meet up on the final day. 

2. Everyone signs up

3. If we get enough recognition, we will be able to have possible sponsors and if there is an entry fee we would probably have enough for some decent prizes.

4. Now, I remember in the last one there was a weigh in. I don't know if we should do that. or maybe some will be OK some won't want too. 

2 hours ago, Tuna are fish said:

would there be an age restriction. and also would there be points for sharks?

Hey Tuna

No, there wouldn't. As long as you reel the fish in yourself you can enter. 

I don't think we would do a sharking section. There was already one at the start of this year, and it's only getting colder now, meaning they may not be as prolific. 

1 hour ago, christophagus said:

i think back in the day there was a junior and senior section? @ellicat might recall.

there was a shark category too.

We could do a junior and senior category, but would there be enough juniors?

Cheers Hamish

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, christophagus said:

i think back in the day there was a junior and senior section? @ellicat might recall.

there was a shark category too.

Yes, there was a juniour category as well as the open category. The shark category had plenty of participants but that was due to the timing being in the summer.

 

It was certainly a very popular event and was the basis for attracting a lot of members to the site. However, as time went on the numbers dropped to a point where it was no longer a viable event, which was a shame to many of the regulars.

I think if we got something similar going it would be a photo weigh in as the actual weigh in created a number of problems with unnecessary termination of fish and criticism naturally occurred.

 

I guess the viability of doing it again would depend on the response to this thread. Hamish, do you know how to create a poll ? Some of the 'silent' members may feel more comfortable clicking a response in a poll than making comment in a thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Yes, there was a juniour category as well as the open category. The shark category had plenty of participants but that was due to the timing being in the summer.

 

It was certainly a very popular event and was the basis for attracting a lot of members to the site. However, as time went on the numbers dropped to a point where it was no longer a viable event, which was a shame to many of the regulars.

I think if we got something similar going it would be a photo weigh in as the actual weigh in created a number of problems with unnecessary termination of fish and criticism naturally occurred.

 

I guess the viability of doing it again would depend on the response to this thread. Hamish, do you know how to create a poll ? Some of the 'silent' members may feel more comfortable clicking a response in a poll than making comment in a thread.

Hi Brian

Rightio. I reckon we skip the 'shark' category again and then there can be another shark comp next year/end of last year. Like you said, it seems like it was a popular event - but even if there were only five members 'competing' it would still be good fun. 

A photo idea would be good, we could have a system for entries such as:

Length - (brag mat photo)

Weight - (if applicable)

Category - 

I made a poll quickly so everyone can now vote. Also, with the idea of the river classic (hear me out) - 

It is a good idea. But in my opinion it sort of takes the 'oomf' out of the 'Brisbane River Classic' or something similar. If everyone thinks it is a far better idea than we could do that. But I still think the 'Brisbane River Competition' would be a bit better. And the other thing that's a little bit of a problem is that if we have someone catching metre long barras up North and big tailor down South than the specie diversity would change heaps, therefore meaning there'd be a lot more fish entered in the 'miscellaneous' category.

Cheers Hamish

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

It is a good idea. But in my opinion it sort of takes the 'oomf' out of the 'Brisbane River Classic' or something similar. If everyone thinks it is a far better idea than we could do that. But I still think the 'Brisbane River Competition' would be a bit better. And the other thing that's a little bit of a problem is that if we have someone catching metre long barras up North and big tailor down South than the specie diversity would change heaps, therefore meaning there'd be a lot more fish entered in the 'miscellaneous' category.

I disagree but maybe a further poll could sort out what members think. What do you reckon ?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ellicat changed the title to Member Poll - Would Anyone Be Interested...
54 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I disagree but maybe a further poll could sort out what members think. What do you reckon ?

 

 

 

Poll has been changed to options:

"Brisbane River Competition"

"River Competition" 

There could always be two different comps that end up running at different times too.

Cheers Hamish

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so hear is what I'm thinking so far. 

A month in winter, i.e. June, we could do a 'River Classic'. This could be an online competition with some nation-wide common Australian fish. For instance, we could do:

Bream - 

Flathead - 

Cod - 

Mulloway -

Tailor - 

Barramundi - 

King Threadfin Salmon - 

And then, when it is bass opening season again in Queensland, i.e. October or September, we could have the Brisbane River Competition, with the species suggested in the original post.

I'll let the poll do the work for the most part though, for people's opinions. 

Cheers Hamish

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, christophagus said:

Could take the “River” portion out all together and have a winter classic and summer classic. Reefies in winter, Pelagics and sharks in summer. Just sayin..

Mmm, yeah, that could happen too.

Call me stubborn but I still like the idea of a Brisbane River Comp. I s'pose there could always be a Winter + Summer classic too...

Cheers Hamish

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, benno573 said:

You’re stubborn Hamish... 😛

Just coz YOU can ride your bike down to fish the Brisbane river... I’m too old and fat to ride my bike down to fish the river 🙄🙄🙄

just joking mate.

i would be keen for a more general winter classic / summer classic kind of scenario. Make species specific targets that open it to as many anglers as possible, land, kayak, boat or dynamite fishos ( @GregOug). Similar to the shark comp, run for a month in June/July and then again in dec/Jan. Definitely photo entry not physical weigh in to keep the vegans happy. 😒

just my thoughts. 

Can we make it later rather than sooner. Having great difficulty getting any more dynamite due to Covid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, benno573 said:

You’re stubborn Hamish... 😛

Just coz YOU can ride your bike down to fish the Brisbane river... I’m too old and fat to ride my bike down to fish the river 🙄🙄🙄

just joking mate.

i would be keen for a more general winter classic / summer classic kind of scenario. Make species specific targets that open it to as many anglers as possible, land, kayak, boat or dynamite fishos ( @GregOug). Similar to the shark comp, run for a month in June/July and then again in dec/Jan. Definitely photo entry not physical weigh in to keep the vegans happy. 😒

just my thoughts. 

Haha. Just because you had one (million) two many beers and I didn't doesn't mean you can't fire the pushy up and get pedalling 🤣.

Seriously now though, that is a possibility too. The Winter classic could be in July for instance, and have the target species an assortment of reefies and other fish. Then the Summer classic could run throughout January (sharking competition could be the same sort of time) and that would be fun. 

19 hours ago, GregOug said:

I tend to agree with @benno573 and @christophagus. Make it wider than just the river. I can’t even catch a fish with the whole of South East Queensland available to me.

Lol. 

11 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I could help you get some prises if you like mate. 

Hi Robbie

That would be very great! But only once everyone decides on what should happen. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2021 at 9:32 PM, benno573 said:

Careful young fella... it’s only a bung knee that prevents me from cycling and I’ve probably had 6 beers all year. About 18 bottles of bourbon and maybe 100 or so pieces of OG KFC chicken and the odd few pies but they don’t count. 

 

I think winter classic is the go - just need to be mindful of the dates of the snapper closure as I am sure they would be a popular target species.

Yep, I am thinking that one seems to be a bit more preferred, as well as the Summer Classic. I will make a different thread with a new poll so everyone can discuss in that one. 

On 11/05/2021 at 7:14 PM, benno573 said:

And I was waiting for @GregOug but he missed it...

 

one TOO many beers... D+ 😛

 

On 11/05/2021 at 7:46 PM, GregOug said:

There were just too many mistakes for me to even bother trying @benno573. ‘Didn’t doesn’t’ should have a comma in between. Nah, only kidding. Hamish’s vocabulary and grammar are coming along well.

What are you guys? English professors? 😉 

Thanks Greg, too. 

Cheers Hamish

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any strong views on which comps to have/not have as it's hard to tell how many participants there would be. I have a strange feeling that at some point in the past it was discussed that if there is an entry fee then you need insurance but could be wrong. I'll happily participate in anything as long as the timing (and weather ... and work ....) lines up for me 🙂.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@AUS-BNE-FISHO Hambo if you are happy for it to be an OzFish event (you will still need to run it) They will be able to cover all the insurance stuff. 

I have some Terms and Conditions that we used for the Wynnum Fishing Classic that you could copy paste and change the names if you like. 

Let me know if you need any help. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

@AUS-BNE-FISHO Hambo if you are happy for it to be an OzFish event (you will still need to run it) They will be able to cover all the insurance stuff. 

I have some Terms and Conditions that we used for the Wynnum Fishing Classic that you could copy paste and change the names if you like. 

Let me know if you need any help. 

Hey Robbie

That would be great! I'd probably check what is required and all that first, so I know what to do, but otherwise, I probably will need a hand with the insurance. Lol.

Also, everyone, here is the other thread I made purely to decide on what comp. It looks like it's going to be a Summer and Winter Classic - 

Cheers Hamish

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Previous Member
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...