G'day from Cairns

Khan

1 hour ago, Khan said:

Hi all,
Recently relocated to Cairns (well, Smithfield) with my partner for a bit of a change of scenery. We have relocated from Terrigal on the Central Coast NSW and will be here for at least 18 months.
My partner relocated to Cairns hospital working a medical professional and I am working from home at my previous company from down South as a Network Engineer. 
Seeing as though I like to wet a line and dont exclusively know anyone from here (working from home I dont get the chance to really meet anyone), I thought I'd join the forum to try and get know some local fishos, get some idea of some spots, talk tackle, and just shoot the **** really. If you are in the area, dont be shy to drop me a msg.

Down South I'd walk down to the beach and flick for flatties on the flats, chase the occasional bonito and salmon, and when I could be assed, chase some bass around the bush.

Having bass tackle I would love to chase down some JPs up here. Ive had a few goes but finding the creek has been challenging. Also would love to get into some barra fishing. I dont have a boat so I guess I am limited in that way.

So yeah, g'day everyone, happy to be here!

G'day Khan,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not from Cairns although some days I wish I was. I have spent some time up there. Great to see tiotony respond. Local legend there. 

I look forward to seeing your posts where you are holding awesome tropicals. 

🙂

21 minutes ago, natang said:

Hey mate I used to live in Innisfail back in 2017. try Yorkies Knob boat ramp there is a beach on the other side of the rock wall was good at dusk. Also used to go around the naval base boat ramp. Bramston beach is good as is mourilyan harbour if you have a boat. 

Navy base boat ramp is off limits to the public. Shame because back when I was in the Navy and could fish there it was the best landbased spot in Cairns. 

G'day again. Wasnt expecting this much attention. Thanks to everyone who has responded!

@tiotony yeah thanks for the tips mate. Ive checked out Buzzy Thao's vids whilst consuming some beverages and have been to a few of the spots. I think most of them are more suited to live baiting where I prefer to flick lures. Ive also been stalking the forums for a few weeks and have seen some of your catches off the beaches, very nice mate.

Ive also walked Freshwater down near the train bridge on Lower Freshwater Rd which was great. Are there any other spots on that creek or nearby I should check out?
I also found Kamerunga bridg
e on Google Earth a few weeks ago. Seems most people fish off the bridge, is there a safe way to get closer to the water? 

@natang Yeah mate, been off the rockwall there a few times and caught a couple of fish. Had best luck on high tide off northern end of the rock wall. Went down a couple of weeks ago but they were dredging the channel so I called and sunk a few beers at the club instead haha

Might drive down to East Trinty and jump on the bike and flck around the flood gates off Chan Rd tomorrow if its not toooo windy.