How often?

samsteele115

Evening all, 

I haven't caught a noteworthy fish in quite a while; maybe a month, maybe two. Upon reflection of today's landbased mission targeting flatties which resulted in a pike and longtom it got me thinking: Have I got lazy? I know i used to change lures way too often (spending half the time doing so instead of having a line in the water). But in 4 hours today I used 2 lures. Probably the same yesterday too. I think that is a problem. 

I'm curious, how often do you change your lure/bait that isn't working? 

6 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Evening all, 

I haven't caught a noteworthy fish in quite a while; maybe a month, maybe two. Upon reflection of today's landbased mission targeting flatties which resulted in a pike and longtom it got me thinking: Have I got lazy? I know i used to change lures way too often (spending half the time doing so instead of having a line in the water). But in 4 hours today I used 2 lures. Probably the same yesterday too. I think that is a problem. 

I'm curious, how often do you change your lure/bait that isn't working? 

For me it’s around 30 minutes if I don’t get any hits or chases for 30 minutes and I’ve been casting in good spots I’ll change lures sometimes I’ll change lures every 10 minutes depending on the conditions for example when I tried catching sootys for the first time I tried hardbodie divers they didn’t chase em I then tied on a crank bait didn’t chase em either tied on a sugapen didn’t chase that either then I after that I tied on a standard flathead bream plastic 2.5 inch slim swim in opening night matched with a size 1 jighead 1/8 weight I had sooties smashing my lure left right and centre sometimes you just have to keep changing lures until they start biting sometimes they are completely shut down and won’t eat anything and sometimes decent fish aren’t even around but once i find what works well on the day I usually stick with that lure for the whole fishing sesh

1 minute ago, samsteele115 said:

Thanks for the responses! I have a fresh wave of motivation to change things up when it's quiet.

This morning I cast a small blade using ultralight gear in the surf. Its something that I haven't done in ages, and I felt it time to give the heavy gear stuff a miss. 

I just wanted a fish or two for breakfast! It didn't take long before I caught a little trev. And a bream soon after. Interestingly the bream went harder. I now remember why I used to be so fond of light gear, it's fun. 

Anyway, I don't usually keep bream but today felt important to cook up a nice feed on a breakfast fire and get my mojo back again. Delicious! 20210528_094351.thumb.jpg.05da649717b75e572806b9b5b6c9d0fc.jpg20210528_100016.thumb.jpg.0d0aae202b524fee6d5108332c7e0aee.jpg

I was that keen that I went out after breakfast to try to catch lunch and dinner. This time on my popping gear using an 80g jig skipped across the surface. Got a little GT (maybe 50cm) and got whacked on top by some larger models. It was nice to catch fish again haha 🙂20210528_122021.thumb.jpg.9071dcd62d653986cdffb99efadcb4fd.jpg

Great to see you’ve got your mojo back Sam.

On 28/05/2021 at 9:42 PM, samsteele115 said:

cook up a nice feed on a breakfast fire

Nice one mate. Good to see they are thick there. 

Most people won't try this but next time you wanna cook fresh fish on the fire, try doing it with gut and gills in. The guts shrivel up into nothing and don't hurt the flesh in any way. When cooked the scales just peel away the skin and there are no burnt bits around where you have cut it open. I know it sounds weird but I only do it this way now and it works. 

57 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Most people won't try this but next time you wanna cook fresh fish on the fire, try doing it with gut and gills in. The guts shrivel up into nothing and don't hurt the flesh in any way. When cooked the scales just peel away the skin and there are no burnt bits around where you have cut it open. I know it sounds weird but I only do it this way now and it works. 

Pro tip right there. I guess the scales and intact gut cavity would help keep the moisture in the fish as well?  

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Yeah true! Didn't know that about the guts. But yes to leaving scales on and peeling it all off at the end!! Very satisfying 

4 minutes ago, Kat said:

Ha ha Sam.  Would you have assumed she didn't know how to cast if she was a guy?  Good lesson learned there mate. Actually the one thing my dad did teach me (fishing wise) when I was a kid was how to cast.  I am so grateful cause it is like riding a bike, you don't forget and I expect it is easier to learn as a kid rather than an adult - like most things 

Good to see you have girlfriend who can hopefully share your passion (rather than being a fishing widow).

😸

If it wasn't mentioned they'd fished before then yep! Stand behind them and gently guide them through the motions all inclusive