Boat choice for Moreton Bay and Watersports

Simon001002

Hi all,

Looking at getting a new boat for getting the kids into water sports at the lakes around south east Queensland as well as some fishing and exploring Moreton bay. I have no experience on the bay and the question I have is around a suitable do it all vessel. 

I like the idea of bow riders as they have plenty of capacity to take additional people (some have legal capacity for 8).  Looking at under 6metre (19ft). Not sure how the bowriders would go in the bay if the wind got up a bit from what I have read?

If someone with a bit of relevant experience could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Simon

The only boat that you should ever buy is a 5m Tiller steer...

You are welcome 

🙂

Ricky Gervais Laughing GIF

Sorry not helpful I know. 

I do like tillers as you get so much room but I like bowriders and cuddy cabs for that matter, they really do have their place.

Bowriders Pro's

more room for day use

Can take more ppl

Great comfortable seating for when you are at anchor. Good for picnics etc. 

Can cast from up front, good for squid etc

Easy to get to anchor

Better for skiing and tubing as people can sit up the front out of the way waiting their turn.

Con's

Can't overnight

less dry in bumpy weather

I would be very wary taking one through a bar as it will fill with water if you make a mistake and hit a curling wave (in saying that I do it in my open tiller... but only on good days)

All that seating gets messy when you catch a squid 🙂

Can be colder on those early morning Tailor runs (like I am doing Thursday with @Angus)

Thanks for the responses,

Very helpful. I would say 70% lake use,  and 30% in the bay. The reason I liked 8 person seating is we have a young family of 4 with plenty of family of 4 friends. It would never be 8 adults but maybe 4 adults and 4 kids between 4 and 9. But definitely take your points on overloading. 

wouldn't be looking to traverse  a wavy bar in this as I had a bit of a near miss in NZ a couple of years back where we were caught by a set and rolled on a bar........bit of a wake up call (I wasn’t driving) but sure gave me a greater appreciation for how things can go terribly wrong in a matter of literally a few seconds!!

I have only ever had outboards and the thought of an inboard for cost/reliability is a bit of an unknown.

Simon

5 hours ago, Simon001002 said:

Thanks for the responses,

Very helpful. I would say 70% lake use,  and 30% in the bay. The reason I liked 8 person seating is we have a young family of 4 with plenty of family of 4 friends. It would never be 8 adults but maybe 4 adults and 4 kids between 4 and 9. But definitely take your points on overloading. 

wouldn't be looking to traverse  a wavy bar in this as I had a bit of a near miss in NZ a couple of years back where we were caught by a set and rolled on a bar........bit of a wake up call (I wasn’t driving) but sure gave me a greater appreciation for how things can go terribly wrong in a matter of literally a few seconds!!

I have only ever had outboards and the thought of an inboard for cost/reliability is a bit of an unknown.

Simon

Stay away from inboards!

If you want to compare different boat styles and how they compare in a bit of wave action, go to YouTube and search for Haulover Inlet. A mob called Boat Zone have a few vids up, including a 2020 compilation of craziness at this inlet bar. Absolute madness. Worth a look if you have a bit of spare time. Some of these people should be banned from boating forever.