Wind / Casting Knots

GregN70

Maybe there wasn’t enough tension on the braid when the reel was spooled? Did you put it on or was it done at the tackle shop? Maybe go down the local park, tie the braid to a tree, walk back as far as you can and then rewind with some tension on the line. Or maybe the weight you are casting is too light for your rod and line class? 

I put it on, via a bit of threaded rod in the vice and a couple wing nuts and wooded cones to locate & create tension on the spool of braid, usually works a treat, gets tension on well most times. I thought perhaps the length of the cast tension being effected as I was reasonably light lures and soft plastics for a while before this started to happen.

I was using squidgy bugs on 1/12 oz jig head, and a savage gear crab imitation on a slightly bigger head, usure of weight.

I put the braid on using a length of all-thread bar held by my vice,  on it I have a lock nut, cones and wing nut for tension. I reel it straight off the top. 

Similar to these pics i found here, but just a bar held in the vice, (not my pics, but for illustration purposes)

unnamed (2).jpg

If I'm thinking correctly about how you spooled it up (similar to the old pencil through spool method), you may have introduced line twist. 

For spinning reels I leave the spool loose on the ground (face up). Key is to match the direction of the line coming off the spool with the direction of winding (usually spool face up). Easy to tell if you get it wrong: wind the handle 20 times, open the bail arm and pull line off. If it went on the wrong way the loose line will twist and tangle amongst itself. 

Similar to this: https://www.wikihow.com/Spool-a-Spinning-Reel

Winding it via the pencil & spool method is great for baitcasters/overheads.

YMMV

I'm going with ellicat. 

Loose line laying under tensioned line over the top. 

I get it all the time with light lures...especially when tieing on a heavier lure and trying to cast it to New Zealand. 

Every 5th cast or so I pinch the line between my fingers and wind it back under tension. 

Seems to help, but it still is not a sure fix.