Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Whiting are so small and soft I only ever fry them. 

I normally get lazy and just dust them in a mix of salt and pepper and flour and then fry in a mix of half oil and half butter (oil so it doesn't burn, butter for flavour) 

I reckon crumbing them is better as they go a lot further and get crispy and look better too. Firstly flour them as above then dunk in mix of one egg and about a cup of milk, then into the crumbs then fry in oil. I like peanut oil as it is light and doesnt burn or give funny flavours and can get really hot but any oil will work.

As for Squid! Well there are so many options. Where to start! 

I like them fresh and unmolested. 🙂 I don't agree with any ideas of soaking in milk or kiwi fruit or anything else as I love the texture as they are. This goes for Tigers, Arrows and Cuttlefish. 

As for recipes;

Treat like the whiting above and you will love them. If you are going to fry them I prefer to cut them into rings or score them like Chinese restaurants do but IMHO that is it. Squeeze of lemon over the top... yum! 

You have to try stuffed squid. There are so many options here that I can't really give you a recipe. The idea is to clean them (I leave the skin and wings on but most prefer to take these off so you are just left with the white tubes) then just fill up the tubes, use a bamboo skewer to close the end a bit so the stuffing doesn't come out, and bake in the over. 

For the stuffing, I normally make it up with whatever is in the house, but rice and pork mince with some spices and a few finely chopped up veggies is fantastic. I either fry up the tentacles and eat separate of chop them up fine and put them in the stuffing mix. If you take the wings off you can do the same with these. 

Stir-fried is so good too. Cut them into rings. Fry onions garlic chilli and ginger in oil and when soft put in a bowl. Use the same pan to fry up the squid rings and when cooked chuck the onion mix back in and serve. Good on a salad. 

So many other ways. I have to go to work haha. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Previous Member
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Latest Posts

  • Similar Content

      Hi all
      The forecast for today was looking good... I had a pupil free day at school today... The dates and weather aligned perfectly, so Brian (@ellicat), Steve (@Old Scaley) and I planned a fishing trip in Moreton Bay. The gameplan was to fish in the Rous Channel for reefies (cod, tuskies, sweetlip, and more) and mackerel. It was a great day overall, with mint weather and a fair few fish caught as well!
      We all met up at about quarter to seven, and we drove off to the Manly Boat Harbour Ramp. Gear was loaded up into Brian's boat, and the boat was launched into the pristine, chilly waters of Moreton Bay. We motored out of the harbour, and then picked up some serious velocity travelling to the Rous Channel. It was very calm, and while there was a tiny bit of chop, the boat handled it fine, and it was like a flat ride on the way over. 

      I was in the back
      Once we got there, we deployed between the two Rous spots. The best of both worlds, haha. Brian started off by floating a pilly out to see if there were any mackerel hanging about, and Steve and I started fishing the bottom. Straight away, we were getting pickered. The fish would nibble the bait, and I can only assume then narrowly miss the hook. Eventually, Steve got on the board with a little grassy - 

      Twice the size would've be nice!
      After that Grassy, we both continued to get pickered. I kept striking but failed to hook up to any fish. Soon, we had some pastries. While we were eating these, I put out a mackerel line, to see if anything would happen for me. I threw out my shiny pilchard in hope something would take it. It was just after this that I heard a reel screaming. Steve was on to something big! It had a couple good runs, and it was probably close to the boat, but at that moment the fish spat the hook. Blast! Steve proceeded to catch another grassy, about 25CM. 
      It had gone a bit quiet for all of us, mainly because we could never hook any of those annoying pickers. Come on, bigguns! It's your time to bite... or at least that's what we all wanted. Just as I was rebaiting though, I heard the ratchet on my overhead reel clicking like no tomorrow! I picked up my rod, but unfortunately, it got tangled with Brian's line. It was a mess of knots, and looked like a jungle of braid. Brian handlined my so called 'mackerel' in, and the tension was building, especially since we thought we'd lost it (then we saw the float go under again). That is why it was really disappointing when we saw the infamous shape of a big, fat, toadfish. At least I was off the donut. Lol. 
      We got rid of him quick smart. 
      After that fiasco (and a big thanks to Brian, he cut all his braid that was tangled and didn't touch mine once! 🙂) we got back to fishing. The mackerel lines were deployed again, this time with a bit more thought put into the location and making sure they don't get caught up. We kept persisting at this spot, for a lot more pickers, and not many more hits. I was snagged, and busted off all my line, so I used a smaller hook to try and hook some. Brian had a bottom line and mackerel line in at one point as well, which probably gave us a decent chance at a bigger model. Steve also got snagged, and then changed to a little plastic.
      To my surprise (I'm a very novice lure angler), Steve pulled in a Lancer, which was filleted and kept for bait, and a stripey, (also kept for bait), in quite a close time proximity to one another. Neither Brian or I had gotten any substantial hits on the mackerel line, though it is worth noting that when we had to deal with the tangle fiasco Brian's pilly had been mangled to bits. Everyone was getting annoyed at the pickers, and at this point, I brought some lollie snakes out. Around this time, I also heard another reel going off. I looked over at Brian's side of the boat, and the mackerel rod was bent over like a banana. There were no tell tale signs of a toadfish, so hopes were high. We got colour of the fish, and then sooner or later it was boatside. A nice tailor was landed, to get Brian off the donut. 

      If only it was a couple centimetre's bigger; it would've been legal then. 
      With a bit more hope going around the boat, everyone deployed lines back out. It was back to the waiting game now. Unfortunately for us, it seemed the pickers were getting smaller and smaller. We couldn't hook them at all, and while it was relentless action, none of it involved landing any fish! Eventually, after about 40 minutes odd, Steve hooked up to something big. The call was made early on that it was a bottom feeder, or ray, and after about 5 minutes later, we realised we were right (ish). A large Wobbegong Shark had been brought boatside, which was about 1.8 metres. Jeez!

      3 metre flatty 😉 
      After that capture, the bites just got slower and slower. I was not getting as many pickers, and I don't think Brian and Steve were either. After another considerable time period, where turtles, and a possibly dugong was sighted breaching the surface, the call was made to move spots to a nearby location where we could drift. I pulled up the anchor (anchor duties for me, Lol) and Brian drove us to the new spot. 
      Straight away, Steve was on. He fought it for a tiny bit, and up came a pinky. Man, we didn't even want a snapper, haha (close season). I shortly followed suite after missing a couple bites, with a slightly larger specimen. I believe Steve managed another, but this one was even smaller than the first. The spot was looking promising, with some OK shows on the sounder. Alas, no one hooked any fish here, which is what provoked us to move a bit more. 

      First pinky in a while
      We got to the next spot, and continued drifting. Nothing was interested in the mackerel lines, except a sea bird, which had a go at Brian's. While we were here, we decided that we would go to one of the weed/sand banks, and fish for some Winter Whiting. The reefies were not biting, but the new plan to move to Fisherman's Gutter seemed like a good one. Rods were re-rigged, and while we didn't exactly have the right gear we were close enough. 
      We motored over nice and quick to the, now smaller, clump of boats. We lined up a drift, chopped up a few small bits of squid, and began fishing for the whiting. As we were just beginning we saw someone towing a scaling bag, so obviously someone was having success. To kick off our whiting campaign, I got a nice hit after about 10 minutes. I did not have the 'white' touch (get it 🥴). I got about three more hits, but each time, I would feel my line go tight. Then, there would be a vigorous shaking. Then, there'd be nothing. Whether it was because I wasn't striking hard enough, or just plain bad luck, I don't know, but Steve and Brian eventually got in on the action too. Brian snuck a cast of to the right, Steve had one going out the left, and I had one straight out the middle. The two whiting warriors began getting a couple on board, which left the pressure on me. They were good fish too, and they were tugging the line alright (by the looks of it). 

      Brian got a nice one (well, more like five)

      Steve's Whiting, 29CM.
      Anyways, while Brian and Steve continued to pull in whiting after whiting, I struggled to even get one to stay on the hook. I took their advice eventually, which was to change to a standard running ball sinker opposed to a paternoster rig. This worked a treat, and I pulled in my first ever sizeable Winter Whiting. Yay!
      We finished this drift, and then decided that it was time to motor back up. Our next drift was a bit more quiet, and we struggled to get any nibbles. Brian did manage a toadfish though. Lol. As it neared 2:00PM, it was time to head back in. So we said bye to the Rous Channel, which had treated us kindly with mainly flat seas all day. The ride back in was comfy, and the majestic ocean swirled away as our boat glided across the surface, like it was ice. 
      Eventually we were back at the ramp, so we loaded the whiting up (grand total - ten 👍) and got stuck into the packup. The boat was tied up, and while we were at the ramp I sussed the fish-ability. I was told it may be an OK spot for tailor, so when I get my surf reel/Alvey, I will need to try for them here! We drove back, and then said our goodbyes, until the next time we may go and see one another again. 
      It was a great day on the bay! N vnbco one doughnuted, and courtesy of Steve and Brian I got to take home a nice feed of Winter Whiting. It was awesome fun chatting and fishing in the boat, so thanks for having me out guys!!! Also, thanks @Cavvy for letting me go!
      If you are still here, I hope you enjoyed this report. Here are the stats of the trip - 
      Statistics of Trip - 
      Tide: 4:30AM, 1.95M, High, 11:00AM, .46M, Low, 5:40PM, 2.18M, High (according to WillyWeather)
      Moon Phase: Around First Quarter Phase
      Bait Caught: Stripey, Lancer
      Bait Used: Prawns, pillies, squid, stripey, lancer
      Tackle Used: I had a 15LB and 20LB braid mainline set up, and I believe Steve had 16LB, and Brian something similar. We were using 3/o-5/o circle hooks and suicide hooks, and gang hooks for the mackerel. Brian and I each had torpedo floats on. We had 15-30LB leaders for all lines, made out of fluorocarbon. Sinkers varied throughout the day, with a 3-6 ball being predominately used. Brian had a Shimano Symetre reel, I had a Shimano Stradic and Abu Garcia Barra King, Steve had a Shimano Stradic. I had a Shimano Raider Snapper, And Ugly Stik, and I do not know what everyone else had. 
      Fish Caught: Pinky x 3, Grassy x 2, Tailor x 1, Toadfish x 2, Whiting x 10, Lancer x 1, Stripey x 1
      Air Pressure: 1016-1019 mbar
      Humidity: 54%-69%
      Wind: 3 knots
      Weather: 22oC, Sunny. No squalls or rain in sight!
      Overall Success Rate: 80% - we did not get any mackerel, but it was still a great day, and Plan B worked out marvellous! 
      Cheers Hamish

      Please login or register to view this image
    • By tdk.collective
      New episode is up, hope everyones enjoying the winter so far and is getting their lines wet *cheers* *sips beer*.
      The flattys are going wild locally and tailor are going off up towards cochin creek 
      thank you all 
      - Keith  

      Please login or register to view this image
    • By kmcrosby78
      Dusted the cobwebs off my boat (shamefully I hadn’t used it since school started back in January... 🤨) and took my Dad, brother and my two sons Liam (9) and George (6) out on Monday morning at gentleman’s hour. Launched from Manly and headed straight to the eastern side of Green Island to drift for arrow squid and cuttlefish. Had a southwesterly wind and an outgoing tide which worked well.
      Successful mission with 20 caught in total with a range of jig colours. We missed plenty with either huts that didn’t connect or they were on for most of the way but dropped off before the boat. Liam managed to snare two that dropped off but stayed within sight which was cool to see - doesn’t say much for the intelligence of cuttlefish though .... 🤔. Had one jig  lose it’s life to a green sea toadfish, luckily only a cheap one.
      Then tried fishing but tide had turned so wind against tide which with five POB wasn’t ideal. I got one legal tuskfish, the rest all throwbacks. 
      I took Liam and George again Tuesday morning and we got another 7 so a few nice feeds for our extended family. Again tried fishing but first spot we were harassed by a huge school of striped trumpeter and when we moved we kept getting bitten clean off by probably green sea roads - grrrr!!!!
      Was great to be out on the water again and quality time spent with family.  Would encourage others to nab some of these tasty critters - just drift around east of Green Island  in 6m+ and you should find them - yum!!!
      Please login or register to view this image
    • By GregOug
      Okay, so first - the good. Today 9:56am -
      Counting the whiting as we head back across the bay. Final count 147 whiting, 5 decent squid. Note the slightly ominous rain clouds on the horizon when Alex pans the camera around to the bow. 
      Next, the bad. 10.08am -
      In just a few minutes the situation has changed totally. 
      Finally, the downright ugly. 
      Photo of what was actually approaching us (courtesy of the Weatherzone site).
      And what we endured and survived for probably twenty minutes or so.  It got worse than this even, but by that stage Alex needed to just hang on, rather than try to film. The huge seas, driving rain and freezing cold paled into insignificance though compared to the lightning strikes happening around us and the deafening booms of thunder that actually shook the boat. 

      In winter! At 10am in the morning! What the …….



      Please login or register to view this image
      Please login or register to view this video
    • By snap1946
      hi all
      has anyone fished the Nerang river for whiting lately i tried on Thursday for no results   
                    cheers snap
  • Latest Topics

  • Popular Contributors

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
  • Newest Clubs

  • Links

  • Latest Videos

  • Create New...