Whiting and/or squid recipes

GregOug

Whiting are so small and soft I only ever fry them. 

I normally get lazy and just dust them in a mix of salt and pepper and flour and then fry in a mix of half oil and half butter (oil so it doesn't burn, butter for flavour) 

I reckon crumbing them is better as they go a lot further and get crispy and look better too. Firstly flour them as above then dunk in mix of one egg and about a cup of milk, then into the crumbs then fry in oil. I like peanut oil as it is light and doesnt burn or give funny flavours and can get really hot but any oil will work.

As for Squid! Well there are so many options. Where to start! 

I like them fresh and unmolested. 🙂 I don't agree with any ideas of soaking in milk or kiwi fruit or anything else as I love the texture as they are. This goes for Tigers, Arrows and Cuttlefish. 

As for recipes;

Treat like the whiting above and you will love them. If you are going to fry them I prefer to cut them into rings or score them like Chinese restaurants do but IMHO that is it. Squeeze of lemon over the top... yum! 

You have to try stuffed squid. There are so many options here that I can't really give you a recipe. The idea is to clean them (I leave the skin and wings on but most prefer to take these off so you are just left with the white tubes) then just fill up the tubes, use a bamboo skewer to close the end a bit so the stuffing doesn't come out, and bake in the over. 

For the stuffing, I normally make it up with whatever is in the house, but rice and pork mince with some spices and a few finely chopped up veggies is fantastic. I either fry up the tentacles and eat separate of chop them up fine and put them in the stuffing mix. If you take the wings off you can do the same with these. 

Stir-fried is so good too. Cut them into rings. Fry onions garlic chilli and ginger in oil and when soft put in a bowl. Use the same pan to fry up the squid rings and when cooked chuck the onion mix back in and serve. Good on a salad. 

So many other ways. I have to go to work haha.