Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey guys and gals,

after years of my old man hounding me to get my boat license, I finally went and got it in January.  I now have access to his boat, pretty much whenever I want. It’s a tidy little 14’ cruise craft with a 90 yammy. It gets up and moves with little effort when there’s not much weight in it. In the warmer months I was taking the family over to moreton and straddy for snorkeling and tubing (once). Now that it’s cooler I want to take my dad out fishing where we might actually get a feed. He usually likes to go upstream of lone pine in the Logan river but we very rarely hook up there. I’m keen for any suggestions on where to start looking for spots to drop a line in. 
 

cheers,

Shannon

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum, Shannon.

That boat should open up quite a few spots for you - from Jacob's Well area (which is pretty close to you as the Logan runs into there from the northern end) through to Moreton Bay.

Here's a map of the area with some spots and what you can expect to catch there -

Please login or register to view this image
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ellicat said:

Welcome to the forum, Shannon.

That boat should open up quite a few spots for you - from Jacob's Well area (which is pretty close to you as the Logan runs into there from the northern end) through to Moreton Bay.

Here's a map of the area with some spots and what you can expect to catch there -

Please login or register to view this image

Geez that's a young nugget sketch. 🤣🤣🤣

 

How is nugget going now that he lives in fisherman's paradise? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Junky said:

Geez that's a young nugget sketch. 🤣🤣🤣

 

How is nugget going now that he lives in fisherman's paradise? 

😂 It certainly is !  That's an old map but still holds true I reckon.

I saw him on a Fraser Island video the other day. Apart from missing a tooth he looked happy and well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2021 at 6:39 PM, Shenanigans said:

Hey guys and gals,

after years of my old man hounding me to get my boat license, I finally went and got it in January.  I now have access to his boat, pretty much whenever I want. It’s a tidy little 14’ cruise craft with a 90 yammy. It gets up and moves with little effort when there’s not much weight in it. In the warmer months I was taking the family over to moreton and straddy for snorkeling and tubing (once). Now that it’s cooler I want to take my dad out fishing where we might actually get a feed. He usually likes to go upstream of lone pine in the Logan river but we very rarely hook up there. I’m keen for any suggestions on where to start looking for spots to drop a line in. 
 

cheers,

Shannon

Hey Shannon

When you say upstream of Lone Pine I assume you mean the Brisbane River (not the Logan).

I know that area quite well, and fish it a fair bit. From that stretch, you'll get flatties, threadies, sharks, bream, cod, and more at the right times of year.

By using small (ish) soft plastics and fishing around creek mouths/drains you will have a chance at a flatty. They bite a bit better when it's saltier, but don't be afraid to cast right up on the bank. I hooked one about 20CM away from the bank (and it jumped out too!).

Bream, cod, flatties, catfish, river perch, eels, and more can be hooked using dead or alive prawns. Fish around some sort of structure and you will normally be in with success from something. Fishing out deeper with live or dead prawns, or other baits such as bony bream, can result in threadfin salmon or sharks (normally in Summer), but you will be plagued by catfish and River Perch as well.

If you just want to catch a few buy/catch some prawns, fish with a 4/o suicide hook, size 2 sinker, about a 10LB trace, anchor up, and wait. 🙂 

A couple more things - often on smaller tides you'll have more success, and it helps to time your trip around time change.

Good luck,

Cheers Hamish

P.S. You weren't out today were you?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Previous Member
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...