Alvey yabbie pump

Anyone seen Alvey yabbie pumps for sale in your travels? I seem to have lost mine and my spare has been dropped a few too many times and hard to make round again. Also the replacement washers only seem to last a couple of sessions before going hard and useless despite me always washing the pump in fresh water after use. Alvey have a new washer system these days that is supposed to be much more durable. The fittings don’t work on other pumps. I have had a quick look online and the places I have seen them advertised are out of stock. If you happen to see one in your local tackle shop in the Brisbane area can you let me know. Thanks.

I got one last week from ebay. I have a Wilson pump (as I try to avoid anything Alvey), and it's got the hopeless foam puck style washer which looks like its made from an old surfboard thong and lasts about 2 trips. I got the Alvey multi washer kit, and it can be adapted to fit the wilson pretty easy. Havnt tested it yet but seems to develop good suction.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162914878186?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960-0&mkcid=2&itemid=162914878186&targetid=1281061180965&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1000404&poi=&campaignid=12500143888&mkgroupid=124347829082&rlsatarget=pla-1281061180965&abcId=9300512&merchantid=114161112&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs675pbyg8QIVEldgCh39ygqLEAQYASABEgIGCPD_BwE

21 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Good luck finding one Steve, I hope you can acquire one soon.

Is there any reason why you like the Alvey ones more than the normal Wilson/Surecatch ones?

Cheers Hamish

Just the washer set-up Hamish. The foam washers seem to have become less durable over the years.  Since I can’t seem to find an Alvey pump I will see if the Wilson pumps will take the Alvey washers.

I found a homemade stainless steel Yabbie pump on council street clean up works a charm only used it a few times but it’s way better then any of the branded ones . After I use the yabbie pump I rinse it with freshwater, dry it then spray the sliding part with silicone spray and it seems to work well and I don’t know what material the washers are but they are in decent condition 

On 19/06/2021 at 8:17 PM, Breaming with bro said:

I found a homemade stainless steel Yabbie pump 

Hi BWB,

is it it the same design as the Alvey/Wilsons?

I'm just thinking that there has to be a more back-friendly design than the traditional one-maybe something using the large muscles of the legs just as kayaks have evolved.

I can't see that they would design one like that as it is the length of the pull stoke that will be a problem. You pretty much have to pull the ram up about 60cm to suck up the sand and water to get the yabbies out, so that would mean some sort of long pivoting lever or quick ratchet system which would be cumbersome not to mention more pricey, and they most likely wouldn't sell many to justify the costs of making them that way. As they are built now, they are a pretty simple design and cheap to make. Probably the only other way would be a motorised geared  version which would also require a battery and the cost of adding all the components would most likely be 5-6 times the cost of what they are nowadays, so prohibitively expensive, cumbersome and heavy, so again they would not sell.

I don't think that anyone will improve on this simple design to any significant level and comparable to current cost.

Whilst it is simple and cheap enough to do, the only issue with using silicon rubber is that it is fairly soft and may wear out quickly and lose suction, but if you tighten up the washer nut the silicon plug should squash out a bit and continue to work again, same as the regular washers.

• 1 month later...

Saw this and thought of you @Old Scaley, in case Robbie didn't end up having one for you.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tingalpa/fishing/alvey-bp30-king-size-bait-pump/1278954817

Admittedly I did ponder briefly whether I needed a back up one - whilst quickly researching them I found that Anaconda at Tingalpa seem to be currently stocking new ones.

https://www.anacondastores.com/fishing/netting-gaffs-pots-bait-pumps/netting-bait-pump-trap-accessories/alvey-bp75-bait-pump/90177488?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz5q2vJyS8gIVVzUrCh3wxgtVEAQYASABEgKGLvD_BwE

Options, options, ..... 🙂.