Another death in Moreton Bay

Do$tylz

yes, another preventable, family shattering occurrence... I honestly don`t mean to come over/out as an uncaring butt exit. but all the safety equipment and plb`s will not prevent these avoidable tragedies. SMALL boats and whipped up Bay waters do not mix... it only takes that one bad moment after the original bad decision to go out, for all to turn to poo... just saying

I was having a discussion on similar lines on one of Kat's threads on the weekend, but I think that having the PLB/EPIRB could have prevented the loss of the guy's wife, they radioed in that they were in trouble in the evening but the guy didn't get rescued till the middle of the next morning. At least with the PLB/EPIRB activated the rescue craft would have narrowed down their position quite quickly  and rescued them both, and not about 12 hours later. They had enough time to make a call to family and so it wouldn't have taken more than 10 seconds to active the PLB/EPIRB assuming they could get to it. With a PLB attached to their lifejacket it would be readily accessible to activate.

Forgot to mention depending on model of PLB, those with the GPS chip are accurate to less than 10 meters.

Yes a tragic loss of life, thoughts are with the family. It is good that it provokes thought amongst us about our own safety. I know I used to go out to Mud Island pre-dawn and also at night without my life jacket on in sometimes less than ideal conditions. I drove to the conditions and copped plenty of spray in the face but in reality I guess for all I knew I could have copped a bad wave I didn't see coming and could have been on the news for the wrong reason. Hopefully smarter and wiser now ......   About to get back into using my boat this school holidays after a hectic start to the year so will take some time to assess life jackets, placement of safety gear and whether I need PLB's, etc.