I need help!

Hi all

I have a budget of $160.

I have a surf rod rated 4-7KG (Cheers Towknee) and another one rated 5-10KG (thanks Greg!). 

I have limited experience using Alvey reels. 

Any suggestions on one to get that will hold a decent bit of line, and handle tailor, bream, whiting, flathead, dart, and possibly small mulloway?

Cheers and Thanks,

Hamish

Hi Hamish, I have never been into Alveys so can't speak from experience, probably as when I was getting into fishing all the rods I saw were one piece and too long to fit in a car, however as you already have the rods you may as well go for it. From what I understand from reading about them and for the purpose you want to use it for, any of them should hold  more than enough line for your targeted species. If I were in your position, I would most likely look for a 5-6" spool and preferably with a drag (just for convenience sake), a lot of the Alveys do not have drags, the drag is probably not essential as I doubt that those species you mention will put up any fight to require a drag. With the Alvey's that don't have a drag you generally just use your hand on the spool to create the drag and stop the spool from releasing the line too fast., a small Mullaway is quite doable too, although if you are lucky enough to hook a largish one, a drag might be preferable but again not essential. Look at the Gumtree site as there are a lot of Alveys and priced between $40-110.

Does it have to be an Alvey? i.e. are the surf rods low mount (reel seat very close to butt, wire stripping guide - designed for alvey) or mid mount (designed for spin, reel seat around the middle of the grips, normal stripping guide)?

If it is a mid mount A Penn spinfisher around the 650-750 size would suffice for this sort of fishing, 12-15lb mono or 20lb braid with a 20lb-30lb FC leader will stop most things on the beaches.

If it is a low mount go something like an Alvey surf classic (650b) you probably want the lighter graphite backed version. The alvey website is very helpful with recommending their models with target species and line capacities etc

20 hours ago, Tuna are fish said:

are you looking for a combo or just the reel?

Hey Tuna

I'm just looking for a reel. Cheers for the link you posted also.

20 hours ago, Ed. said:

Hi Hamish, I have never been into Alveys so can't speak from experience, probably as when I was getting into fishing all the rods I saw were one piece and too long to fit in a car, however as you already have the rods you may as well go for it. From what I understand from reading about them and for the purpose you want to use it for, any of them should hold  more than enough line for your targeted species. If I were in your position, I would most likely look for a 5-6" spool and preferably with a drag (just for convenience sake), a lot of the Alveys do not have drags, the drag is probably not essential as I doubt that those species you mention will put up any fight to require a drag. With the Alvey's that don't have a drag you generally just use your hand on the spool to create the drag and stop the spool from releasing the line too fast., a small Mullaway is quite doable too, although if you are lucky enough to hook a largish one, a drag might be preferable but again not essential. Look at the Gumtree site as there are a lot of Alveys and priced between $40-110.

Hi Ed.

Thanks for the advice. The rods are two piece ones so they can fit in the car. I will have a look on Gumtree and see if there is anything that looks worthwhile purchasing (though I would prefer to purchase straight from BCF - at my party, my mates all got me the same gifts - BCF gift cards). 

19 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

Does it have to be an Alvey? i.e. are the surf rods low mount (reel seat very close to butt, wire stripping guide - designed for alvey) or mid mount (designed for spin, reel seat around the middle of the grips, normal stripping guide)?

If it is a mid mount A Penn spinfisher around the 650-750 size would suffice for this sort of fishing, 12-15lb mono or 20lb braid with a 20lb-30lb FC leader will stop most things on the beaches.

If it is a low mount go something like an Alvey surf classic (650b) you probably want the lighter graphite backed version. The alvey website is very helpful with recommending their models with target species and line capacities etc

Hi Andrew

The surf rods have the reel seat about 26 and 29cm from the end of the rod. Is that too long for an Alvey? Thanks for the recommendations on the Spinfishers as well - I have a 650 size. They are quite a nice bait fishing reel, in my opinion. 🙂

I will have a look on the Alvey website just in case anything catches my eye.

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Hamish, in addition to Andrew's question above, what length are each of the rods?

Hi KM

One is 9 foot and the other is 11 foot.

9 hours ago, GregOug said:

Thanks for helping out with the links Greg. I'll have a squiz now.

Cheers Hamish

The placement of the reel seats would be fine for an Alvey, Hamish. If they are 2 piece rods designed for Alvey they might not have runners on the bottom half, or maybe a large wire runner. At that length, I think a 6 inch or 6.6 inch reel would suit. The star drag models are great for the bigger fish but direct wind is fine. They all take heaps of line, but make sure that you spool it with mono rather than braid because you use your finger to guide the line evenly onto the spool and that would not be pretty with braid under pressure. Your best bet would be to take your rods with you to BCF and try a couple of Alveys to see how they balance. They are great for beach fishing because you don’t have to worry about the sand or salt water, just rinse them in the sea and keep fishing.

10 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I might have an Alvey you can have... 

Was gonna ask my father in law if he had one that he could part with. I mean he only has about 400 of them. 

It's definitely a learning curve fishing with an alvey Hamish. You either got it..... Or you're an over spooled mess with line wrapped around your knees  and cursing words exiting your pie hole all the while trying to look as professional as you can knowing there is a line up of **** stirrers up in the shade of the pandanus screaming insults in your direction. 

Yep, you guessed it, I haven't got it. Spin reel surf fishing for me. 👍🏻

Good luck. 

Maybe put up a pic of the rods, particularly the butt sections so the pro's here know exactly what you have. 

I do love fishing with an Alvie.

I use them to catch Bass on shrimp in the dams. Great fun. It is a skill to learn how to play out line with no inbuilt drag system. 

They are the only reel I use when bait fishing in the surf for reasons outlined by Oldscaley. I use spin gear when tossing slugs and plastics. 

Hamish I have both. I have a 13ft Alvey surf rod with a 640 Alvey i think it is... Also a 11ft Alvey rod with a spin reel i got off ebay for like $40. Thing with alvey reels is low maintenance can drop in sand and surf water and not worry too much just soak in bucket of fresh water after trip. Spin reel i do the same with but just throw it out every few years as i trash them in the surf. Cheap ebay ones seem good enough to not worry about too much. I will take pics when home in Ipswich on Saturday. PM me your number or email I'll send pics...

5 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Mate just go for a spin reel I reckon. More versatile, and sounds like it's more suited to the rods you have. Been getting heaps of tailor on slugs and stickbaits the past week 🙂 could easily bag out each time but not necessary. When they are on I reckon it's quicker and easier (and more fun) watching them smash lures off the top. In the time you're putting bait on the gang hooks you could have caught another one on a lure. But of course there are the days when bait reigns supreme! 

20210617_151013.thumb.jpg.f7bd5bafa99bda93a83efa3a38825abe.jpg20210617_165509.thumb.jpg.cfcf515a846f15964fed3c4cb1bfc0f0.jpg

Hi Sam,

Any particular slugs or stickbaits that worked better than others? Going to Fraser in August again and keen to try some lures for tailor.

cheers

Greg

Hi all

First of all, thanks a heap for all the help everyone! It’s certainly given me a bit of insight into surf fishing or the pros and cons of these things in general.

On 22/06/2021 at 8:10 AM, Old Scaley said:

The placement of the reel seats would be fine for an Alvey, Hamish. If they are 2 piece rods designed for Alvey they might not have runners on the bottom half, or maybe a large wire runner. At that length, I think a 6 inch or 6.6 inch reel would suit. The star drag models are great for the bigger fish but direct wind is fine. They all take heaps of line, but make sure that you spool it with mono rather than braid because you use your finger to guide the line evenly onto the spool and that would not be pretty with braid under pressure. Your best bet would be to take your rods with you to BCF and try a couple of Alveys to see how they balance. They are great for beach fishing because you don’t have to worry about the sand or salt water, just rinse them in the sea and keep fishing.

Hi Steve

Thanks for the tips. I do not think the rods are just for Alveys as there is no roller guides on the bottom half (or, just rollers in general).

Thanks for the tip on the size. I also read that mono is better in the surf because there is more stretch allow baits to look more natural.

The ease of cleaning is the main thing that I like about them. I do not want to end up dropping a brand new spinning reel into sand and salt water, if I did that with an Alvey it probably wouldn’t have the same detrimental effects.

On 22/06/2021 at 8:11 AM, Andrew_P said:

Hamish they sound like mid mounts built for spin reels. If you would like a reel for each rod you are welcome to borrow my spinfisher 750. I think it has 30lb braid on it. 

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the tip. Also, thanks for being so kind! I really appreciate you offering your spinfisher. I have one in the 650 size though, so if I do end up getting one Alvey I could use the spinfisher on the other rod.

I also do not want to end up dropping your reel into sand and salt! That would not be good 😬

23 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I might have an Alvey you can have... 

Thanks Robbie! 

23 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I do love fishing with an Alvie.

I use them to catch Bass on shrimp in the dams. Great fun. It is a skill to learn how to play out line with no inbuilt drag system. 

They are the only reel I use when bait fishing in the surf for reasons outlined by Oldscaley. I use spin gear when tossing slugs and plastics. 

Sounds like heaps of fun. Yes, one of the main reasons I thought they’d be good in the surf was because I could get it dirty and not have to worry too much about it rusting or something like that. I have a few spin rods that I could probably throw a plastic or lure in the surf with, hence why I thought an Alvey may be good (I like to bait fish in the surf a lot anyways) 👍.

20 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Mate just go for a spin reel I reckon. More versatile, and sounds like it's more suited to the rods you have. Been getting heaps of tailor on slugs and stickbaits the past week 🙂 could easily bag out each time but not necessary. When they are on I reckon it's quicker and easier (and more fun) watching them smash lures off the top. In the time you're putting bait on the gang hooks you could have caught another one on a lure. But of course there are the days when bait reigns supreme! 

20210617_151013.thumb.jpg.f7bd5bafa99bda93a83efa3a38825abe.jpg20210617_165509.thumb.jpg.cfcf515a846f15964fed3c4cb1bfc0f0.jpg

Hi Sam

Wow! You are living the dream!!! Tailor on the fire this week and squid last week! 😋 

Thanks for the tip on slugs. I have never fished with lures in the surf though, which is why I figured if I got into that I could use one of my existing spin rods, and then buy an Alvey so I can bait fish in the surf with a little bit more ease.

23 hours ago, GregN70 said:

In my opinion give the Alvey a miss, it's not 1920 anymore and Catgut is no longer a line.

Technology has come a long way since them, admittedly...

19 hours ago, GregOug said:

Thanks Greg

13 hours ago, Another Wazza said:

Master stroke Hamish, 👍, those mates are keepers, hahaha

Haha, they sure are Wazza.

23 hours ago, Junky said:

Was gonna ask my father in law if he had one that he could part with. I mean he only has about 400 of them. 

It's definitely a learning curve fishing with an alvey Hamish. You either got it..... Or you're an over spooled mess with line wrapped around your knees  and cursing words exiting your pie hole all the while trying to look as professional as you can knowing there is a line up of **** stirrers up in the shade of the pandanus screaming insults in your direction. 

Yep, you guessed it, I haven't got it. Spin reel surf fishing for me. 👍🏻

Good luck. 

Maybe put up a pic of the rods, particularly the butt sections so the pro's here know exactly what you have. 

Hey Junky

Thanks for asking! I appreciate it so much! Ok, so it may be a bit of a challenge to learn - I think I may give it a crack.

I will take a picture of the surf rod in a moment, thanks for the idea.

18 hours ago, natang said:

Hamish I have both. I have a 13ft Alvey surf rod with a 640 Alvey i think it is... Also a 11ft Alvey rod with a spin reel i got off ebay for like $40. Thing with alvey reels is low maintenance can drop in sand and surf water and not worry too much just soak in bucket of fresh water after trip. Spin reel i do the same with but just throw it out every few years as i trash them in the surf. Cheap ebay ones seem good enough to not worry about too much. I will take pics when home in Ipswich on Saturday. PM me your number or email I'll send pics...

Hey natang

Thanks, that is probably a good idea. That is really the main reason I would like to buy an Alvey, because it will be easy to clean and wash in the surf. I will PM my email in a moment.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I appreciate it.

Cheers Hamish

All good mate - thats the reel i use on the beach so if you dropped it in the sand it wouldnt be the first time! 

Using an alvey is like using an abacus instead of a calculator to do your sums. Like an Alvey I'm sure you can dunk an abacus in the sand and saltwater and it will still work.

I prefer to use spin reels and not drop them!

15 hours ago, GregOug said:

Hi Sam,

Any particular slugs or stickbaits that worked better than others? Going to Fraser in August again and keen to try some lures for tailor.

cheers

Greg

Not really mate in my limited tailor experience. If they are hungry they'll eat legitimately anything. If they are wary, I find a slow sinking stickbait jerked at medium retrieval gets them to bite. I can't remember specific brands haha, but anything in the small stickbait size that you'd throw at tuna (4 inch kinda size)

On 23/06/2021 at 4:43 PM, Neil Stratford said:

Hello Hamish,

I was brought up using nothing but alvey reels , without doubt they are excellent in the surf and for estuary bait fishing, but I now use something which leaves all reels mentioned here   for dead .

Here”s a red hot tip for you.

Look on gumtree/eBay  and buy yourself an old Mitchell 499 with a manual bail rotor .( Ie no bail arm )Wait for a good quality one ,as some are pretty rough . Get one with the original powder coating still intact, steer clear of re painted ones as the paint will peel off . Expect to pay just over $100 as they are now collectors items. Parts are still available for them on eBay but if you buy a good one and look after it, you won’t need parts anyway ,as they are pretty much indestructible.

Load it with 20 lb braid and I guarantee you will  have a weapon of a tailor and dart reel for use in the surf.

I”ve had mine for about 35 years now {I have 3 of them) They are a very simple spinning reel  , with a huge spool  which will see you outcast  all around you using alveys and spinfishers. The 499’s drag and cranking action  isn’t as smooth as modern spinning reels ,but modern spin reels won’t last a week on the beach before sand and salt destroys them . I always drop mine  in the sand ,wash it in surf and allow it to get well and truely  sand blasted on a bull bar  whilst on Fraser Island every year ~  BUT  I do pull the back plate off and degrease it and then re grease when I get home every year. 
Regards

Neil

70690308-1918-40C5-B9E7-16F20F603CC9.jpeg

Thanks for the great advice Neil. I have just gotten back from a camping trip so tomorrow I am going to go through all these options and decide what will work best.

On 24/06/2021 at 8:16 AM, Old Scaley said:

I just checked the 3 old Snyderglas surf rods that I have (light, medium and heavy) which were made for Alveys. The reel seat on all three starts at 22cm. I think it is more about the size and placement of the guides. Hamish, I would definitely take the rods to the shop for advice and to feel the balance of different combos. Surf fishing can be tiring and would be more tiring if the set up is not well balanced.

Thanks Steve, I will definitely do that.

On 24/06/2021 at 7:45 PM, natang said:

Hamish where are you based? Head to Charltons at Redbank (just off Ipswich motorway) bloody great little Aussie owned shop and the guys there know there stuff! 

Good idea natang. They are pretty close so one day I will drop in abs talk to them.

Cheers Hamish

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all

Well I've been very quiet on this thread lately, but I think I've come to a decision - 

I am going to go for an Alvey - reason being, I have a couple Spin reels which will go nicely on the rods, and I have found something that fits my budget nicely.

I am thinking I will go for the Alvey 60GT Surf Reel, priced at $169 at BCF. 

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/alvey-60gt-surf-reel/590580.html?cgid=BCF08022#search_term=alvey&start=8

(It is the one Tuna are fish recommended). 

@Old Scaley, above you recommended the size at 6 inch or 6.6 inch. I did a search and could not find the information on the sizing of the Alvey reel. I am assuming a reel at that size would be the equivalent of a 3000-4000 size reel?

Sorry to bug anyone,

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi all

Well I've been very quiet on this thread lately, but I think I've come to a decision - 

I am going to go for an Alvey - reason being, I have a couple Spin reels which will go nicely on the rods, and I have found something that fits my budget nicely.

I am thinking I will go for the Alvey 60GT Surf Reel, priced at $169 at BCF. 

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/alvey-60gt-surf-reel/590580.html?cgid=BCF08022#search_term=alvey&start=8

(It is the one Tuna are fish recommended). 

@Old Scaley, above you recommended the size at 6 inch or 6.6 inch. I did a search and could not find the information on the sizing of the Alvey reel. I am assuming a reel at that size would be the equivalent of a 3000-4000 size reel?

Sorry to bug anyone,

Cheers Hamish

Hi Hamish, 

Nice reel although I don’t think that particular model has any drag. Which is fine as long as you know how to ‘feather’ the reel with your hands when you have a decent fish on.

cheers

Greg

@AUS-BNE-FISHO, that is a 6” reel, and as @GregOug said, it is a direct wind reel which is fine for most of the species that you would be chasing. Takes a bit of experience to use your hand as the drag, but also very rewarding.  This is the info on the Alvey site https://alvey.com.au/shop/surf-60g/.