Bought a fishing kayak need tips on gear

Jake88

Hi guys I just bought a new fishing kayak (next generation 10 by kayaks2fish)was hoping to get some opinions on a gps fish finder $250 or below.i have found 2 at the moment which one would you guys recommend (I'm a newbie) 

Garmin striker plus 4 with built in gps or 

LOWRANCE HOOK2 4X with gps?

Or any other fish finders you know of?

Also what size/pound electric motor would u recommend? 

Also as a new kayak fisher is there nothing else you can recommend me on buying?

I have  a dry bag,anchor,tackle boxes, life vest,trolley.

Are stabilisers worth on buying?

Hi Jake

I have a Lowrance Hook 2. I'd avoid it. It constantly plays up, and I'm disappointed with it to be honest. Maybe try the Garmin Strike Plus 4. If I were you, I would get a feel of what it's like to paddle around in it. Unless you have an ultra tippy yak, I don't think you'd need stabilisers. Seems like you have the lot apart from that. My biggest tip I could give you when you're on a yak is to go minimal - makes it lighter, therefore easier to paddle, and you will generally have a comfier experience. I would recommend a small kayak landing net, which will mean you can land fish easier. 

Also, I've never used an electric motor - but my Dad and I looked into it - basically, to get a good lithium battery and then an electric motor wasn't really justifiable for us (for me it was, lol), so we are keeping an eye out for a cheap second hand hobie tandem - I'm not saying don't buy an electric motor but maybe just paddle the yak around a couple times to make sure you are 100% on getting one. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Hi Jake

I run a garmin striker 4 on my yak, really happy with it, easy to use. I used railblazer gear to securely and reliably connect it all to yak. Expensive but worth it in my mind. Battery wise I suggest going to jaycar or similar. after speaking with staff it was at least half the price and more then tackle/camping/ fishing shops for battery set up. As for stabilisers i can see where they might be handy but I've never used or needed them. This my rig minus sounder.20210516_095741.thumb.jpg.bd39eb8840ba05fcb1821b5627b14e20.jpg

• 1 month later...

I only have a small Humminbird sounder with the transducer mounted inside the hull. Seems to work fine but is a very basic unit. In the future I'll hopefully be able to upgrade to something new. Just waiting for slightly warmer weather to really test it out in the local lakes. I have a small agm battery, 4ah I think, right in underneath where I've mounted the sounder.

battery.jpg

sounder.jpg