Windlass Questions

leigh123

Hi guys. 

I have an old 5.2m Half Cab. 

I've just bought a South Pacific 710 Pro WIndlass. 

Couple of questions 

I will need to mount it directly onto the hatch. I don't have inside access to the anchor well so will need to keep the hatch as it is on hinges so I can still open it if need be to access the rope/chain. The instructions say that if you have access from inside then bolt the hatch down but if not then mount direct on the hatch.

I have replaced the hatch hinges with stainless steel (were plastic). Will this be strong enough ? I'm concerned it might rip my hatch off. 

The hinges are on the left of the hatch. I was thinking of installing a hatch latch or something on the back of the hatch that should help if there if force trying to pull the back of the hatch. 

Will this be enough or am I thinking too much into it ? 

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to go to the Bow when I anchor now but I'm reading you need a chain lock for when the anchor is stowed and to tie the rope to a cleat or something when anchored to take the strain off the Windlass. 

So sounds like I do still need to go to the Bow when the anchor is set and after retrieval. 

Does that sound right ? Are there any ways around this ? anything I can do to avoid having to go up through the hatch each time ? 

If anyone has any advice or pictures of a similar set up it would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Thanks

I've never used one but imo there is no way I would mount an anchor winch to the anchor well hatch of a boat. That just doesn't sound right to me, and if it is right then I challenge the designer to bring his boat out to where I fish.

Sometimes I have to drive the boat to get the anchor to release. That amount of pressure on a little hatch will see it ripped clean off, guaranteed. 

I would seek further advise from the manufacturer. 

My father inlaws boat has a drum style winch mounted to the bulkhead inside the anchor well. It is an extremely solid mount because it cops a lot of pressure. 

Another thing Leigh. When I had my large 35 foot flybridge cruiser the anchor winch had a fairly hefty chain and D schackle which you secured to the chain when the anchor was totally in, to, as you say, help secure the weight of the anchor. That setup had chain the entire length and a very large and heavy anchor. My current boat is smaller and there is no securing chain or similar, even when anchored. The winch motor holds the boat at anchor and it seems to be set up to work this way. I presume there is a locking device, similar to the one on your trailer winch but electronically controlled, which stops it from letting rope or chain back out. If yours is the same you may not need to engage a chain lock manually, and therefore, you will have no need to go forward.

Thanks for the responses guys. 

I have mounted it per the second option below.  I've put marine ply under the hatch itself so that is strong.

These things have been around a long time and the option for the hatch mount is still in the instructions so they must think it's ok.

I'll have to think about it and come up with a way to strengthen it all. 

I usually only fish estuaries' and rivers in 2-10m . 

image.thumb.png.1495b1c5cfcbaccd0193a212d543d510.png

Another option might be to just remove the hatch completely and mount the windlass on a bracket over top of the anchor well.

Something like this 

image.png.d6a417a43026e9ec12b22361bfb66ff4.png

image.png.bcadbe9f7c703fb92d575e461a02305b.png