New to Brisbane

Hey guys. I’ve recently moved from Exmouth to Brisbane and have little knowledge of the area as far as fishing goes. I have been lure fishing for the last 37yrs and consider myself a competent angler. I brought my 4.3mtr tinnie with me, it has all the bells and whistles ( side scan sounder and bow mount electric). Now I just need to spend a heap of time on the local waterways sounding around and experimenting different techniques to back home I guess. Hopefully I get to meet a few of you fellow members over the coming months as I’m always looking for a deckie. Thanks very much for accepting me 

5 hours ago, Newbie to Brisbane said:

Hey guys. I’ve recently moved from Exmouth to Brisbane and have little knowledge of the area as far as fishing goes. I have been lure fishing for the last 37yrs and consider myself a competent angler. I brought my 4.3mtr tinnie with me, it has all the bells and whistles ( side scan sounder and bow mount electric). Now I just need to spend a heap of time on the local waterways sounding around and experimenting different techniques to back home I guess. Hopefully I get to meet a few of you fellow members over the coming months as I’m always looking for a deckie. Thanks very much for accepting me 

G’day @Newbie to Brisbane

Welcome to the forum. You will be able to find heaps of information on Brisbane River Fishing by using the search function in the top of the screen. There is also countless YouTube Videos you can browse through on Brisbane River Fishing 👍.

Seeing as though you like lures, there is a couple ways that people get the rivers fish species (threadfin, jewfish, occasionally snapper).

One method is soft vibes. I am no master on this, but from what I’ve gathered, find the fish on your sounder, and then jug it down in front of them. 

The second major method is getting fish off the surface. I have been trying this desperately for a while to no avail, but basically.

Lights in structure attract bait. Bait will attract threadfin salmon and jewfish. Then, fish your lure on a lightly weighted rig if it’s a plastic, or a shallow diver (though lots of lures work apparently). With a side scan sounder and electric motor you will probably find it easy to locate fish (and you will be able to see them eating bait off the surface too).

I use about a 15lb line with 30lb leader, as threadies have abrasive mouths. If using soft vibes, you may want to use up to 30lb mainline. 

You will be able to try spots like the Port of Brisbane, Gateway Bridge, Dutton Park Area, Riverhills Area, and even the Jindalee area are places people have success at. I would be happy to decky one day. It would give me a break from paddling everywhere. Lol.

Cheers Hamish

33 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

G’day @Newbie to Brisbane

Welcome to the forum. You will be able to find heaps of information on Brisbane River Fishing by using the search function in the top of the screen. There is also countless YouTube Videos you can browse through on Brisbane River Fishing 👍.

Seeing as though you like lures, there is a couple ways that people get the rivers fish species (threadfin, jewfish, occasionally snapper).

One method is soft vibes. I am no master on this, but from what I’ve gathered, find the fish on your sounder, and then jug it down in front of them. 

The second major method is getting fish off the surface. I have been trying this desperately for a while to no avail, but basically.

Lights in structure attract bait. Bait will attract threadfin salmon and jewfish. Then, fish your lure on a lightly weighted rig if it’s a plastic, or a shallow diver (though lots of lures work apparently). With a side scan sounder and electric motor you will probably find it easy to locate fish (and you will be able to see them eating bait off the surface too).

I use about a 15lb line with 30lb leader, as threadies have abrasive mouths. If using soft vibes, you may want to use up to 30lb mainline. 

You will be able to try spots like the Port of Brisbane, Gateway Bridge, Dutton Park Area, Riverhills Area, and even the Jindalee area are places people have success at. I would be happy to decky one day. It would give me a break from paddling everywhere. Lol.

Cheers Hamish

Thanks for the heads up Hamish. I’ve caught quite a few threadfin over the years on quite a few techniques, and have been given some decent spots at the port to try for them and Jew. I definitely don’t have any shortage of lures that they will eat that’s for sure. Happy to take you out one day in the near future with your dad 

On 30/06/2021 at 5:43 PM, Newbie to Brisbane said:

Thanks for the heads up Hamish. I’ve caught quite a few threadfin over the years on quite a few techniques, and have been given some decent spots at the port to try for them and Jew. I definitely don’t have any shortage of lures that they will eat that’s for sure. Happy to take you out one day in the near future with your dad 

That sounds great, thanks for the offer!!!