Do tuskies feed at night?

Drop Bear

27 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

So I know parrots don't feed at night but what about tuskies?

A big tusky really is a bucket list fish for me and I fish a bit at night and thought I should be targeting them...

Good question Robbie. I just did some quick research and it appears they may hide in crevices, etc at night.  https://www.whatsthatfish.com/fish/blackspot-tuskfish/2400   Don't appear to form a mucus ball to protect themselves like parrotfish apparently do.

@jon - any idea?

19 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Good question Robbie. I just did some quick research and it appears they may hide in crevices, etc at night.  https://www.whatsthatfish.com/fish/blackspot-tuskfish/2400   Don't appear to form a mucus ball to protect themselves like parrotfish apparently do.

@jon - any idea?

I was under the impression that they hide up at night in caves and crevices also. I thought they did the slime thing too but maybe not. I’ve never heard of any getting caught at night but did see one that had been speared at night. Probably asleep/hiding I’d imagine. This study from Japan indicates that there are far less active at night https://link.springer.com/article/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2007.01446.x

20 hours ago, Daryl McPhee said:

The Labrid Family which contains the tuskfish and wrasses are a group of fish that are only usually active during the day. They don't form a mucous bubble like some of the Scarid Family, but they are typically hiding somewhere and not feeding at night. 

Thanks mate. Are you doing any talks soon? I am sad I ended up missing the ones you did a few years ago. 

On 30/06/2021 at 6:43 PM, Drop Bear said:

So I know parrots don't feed at night but what about tuskies?

A big tusky really is a bucket list fish for me and I fish a bit at night and thought I should be targeting them...

Hey Robbie

I’ve heard live crabs are a gun bait for them as well. Sometimes up to a legal sand crab size! Though I have no idea how to rig them.

I always thought they hid away, or didn’t bite at night.

Cheers Hamish

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2021 at 3:00 PM, Daryl McPhee said:

Hey DropBear, 

I have a public one coming up soon at the Jacobs Well Environment Centre on "The Secret Life of Sharks", and a couple of non public ones at the Southport Fishing Club on bream and whiting, and one for the Mt Cootha guides on the environmental history of Moreton Bay. 

Daryl  

Here is some info for the next one: 

The Secret Life of Sharks^ (1).jpg