Reef fishing charter gear recommendations

Kimtown

Hi,

Doing a 7 night great barrier reef live aboard late next year out of Bundaberg and will be buying 4 or 5 brand new outfits to suit, which will include:

1x heavy spin (for GT popping + throwing stickbaits)
2x medium spin (one for casting lures in the shallows and lagoons, one for bait fishing)
1x medium jigging outfit (something that can ideally double as a trolling outfit too would be nice)
1x light spin (for bait fishing and smaller reefies)

No real budget in mind, happy to pay for quality - especially in the reel department as I can put them to good use down home. The heavy popping rod probably won't get as much use at home, so ideally won't spend thousands on this, but something that will suffice for a big GT if it comes along.
All suggestions welcome thanks

Also, if anyone has any good information out there of fishing that area around that time of year, feel free to lend some advice. It will be the first time I'll be doing this type of fishing, so I'm all ears.

9 minutes ago, Andrew_P said:

@Kimtown go see Peter Flor at Florless rods he will build you quality rods that will last. He's just done a Swain Reefs trip out of Bundy so he will know exactly what to build for you.

Florless Rods (@florlessrods) • Instagram photos and videos

That’s exactly where I’m going! 😊

thanks mate I’ll flick him a message. 

A fin nor lethal 100 will pull the big fish in. The 100 has all the fruit inside. The smaller ones are different according to Alan Hawk.

But if you have the cash check out the new 21 certate or 20 saltiga spin in the 14000 size. These things are dead set animals of reels. I have a saltiga and can vouch for the build quality. Stella isn't even in the game now. 

You can spool it with saltiga 12 braid in a PE6 @ 300m which is rated to 100b. 

Trolling and medium jigging check out the shimano talica. 12 or 16 size. Absolute brute of a reel for its size. Super smooth and lever drag. 

Light spin.

Diawa certate. Penn slammer. Shimano saragosa. 

Rods. 

Fit the reels you buy to a rod. 

Go and check out tackle warehouse at cooparoo. 

People say they're expensive. I beg to differ.If you spend up in there you get mad discounts and the boys all know their stuff....also, imo it's better to support local than that big supermarket style chain of stores that destroyed a lot of local tackle shops then bumped the prices up. 

27 minutes ago, Junky said:

A fin nor lethal 100 will pull the big fish in. The 100 has all the fruit inside. The smaller ones are different according to Alan Hawk.

But if you have the cash check out the new 21 certate or 20 saltiga spin in the 14000 size. These things are dead set animals of reels. I have a saltiga and can vouch for the build quality. Stella isn't even in the game now. 

You can spool it with saltiga 12 braid in a PE6 @ 300m which is rated to 100b. 

Trolling and medium jigging check out the shimano talica. 12 or 16 size. Absolute brute of a reel for its size. Super smooth and lever drag. 

Light spin.

Diawa certate. Penn slammer. Shimano saragosa. 

Rods. 

Fit the reels you buy to a rod. 

Go and check out tackle warehouse at cooparoo. 

People say they're expensive. I beg to differ.If you spend up in there you get mad discounts and the boys all know their stuff....also, imo it's better to support local than that big supermarket style chain of stores that destroyed a lot of local tackle shops then bumped the prices up. 

I was thinking a 14000xg Stella as I’m a bit shimano brand bias but I’ll contemplate a salty. 

also yep, set on a Talica for the reel for the trolling and jigging outfit. Just need to find a rod to suit. 

unfortunately being a Victorian I wouldn’t be able to physically visit any stores up that way, I’d most likely have to order online for find stores that stock them rods down here. 

2 hours ago, Kimtown said:

Hi,

Doing a 7 night great barrier reef live aboard late next year out of Bundaberg and will be buying 4 or 5 brand new outfits to suit, which will include:

1x heavy spin (for GT popping + throwing stickbaits)
2x medium spin (one for casting lures in the shallows and lagoons, one for bait fishing)
1x medium jigging outfit (something that can ideally double as a trolling outfit too would be nice)
1x light spin (for bait fishing and smaller reefies)

No real budget in mind, happy to pay for quality - especially in the reel department as I can put them to good use down home. The heavy popping rod probably won't get as much use at home, so ideally won't spend thousands on this, but something that will suffice for a big GT if it comes along.
All suggestions welcome thanks

Also, if anyone has any good information out there of fishing that area around that time of year, feel free to lend some advice. It will be the first time I'll be doing this type of fishing, so I'm all ears.

Hey mate,

What charter are you going with? 

I only ask because it will change greatly what fishing options you will have. some of them just do bottom bashing while others put you in a dory and you can do what you like. 

22 minutes ago, Kimtown said:

I was thinking a 14000xg Stella as I’m a bit shimano brand bias but I’ll contemplate a salty. 

also yep, set on a Talica for the reel for the trolling and jigging outfit. Just need to find a rod to suit. 

unfortunately being a Victorian I wouldn’t be able to physically visit any stores up that way, I’d most likely have to order online for find stores that stock them rods down here. 

Ahh. Sorry bud, I assumed you lived here in QLD. 

Alan Hawk check out this link and have a read up if you already haven't. 

Rods are all different and I only comment on what I have. 

My saltiga C710-8 rod is a brute. They have it in a C85-8 as well. 

Nice and light too. 

16 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey mate,

What charter are you going with? 

I only ask because it will change greatly what fishing options you will have. some of them just do bottom bashing while others put you in a dory and you can do what you like. 

Big cat reality - so for the most part we will be fishing on individual Tender’s/Dory’s without a guide helping us. Basically doing everything ourselves outside of the cooking, cleaning and accomodation part - just the way I like it 🙂

I’ll personally be doing a bit of everything. Probably throw poppers and stick baits out for the morning until I tire out and then revert to bait fishing or trolling the afternoons… maybe idk lol 

8 minutes ago, Kimtown said:

All good mate, that website is amazing. Thanks for that!

had a solid laugh about this in the Stella review:

You'll need:

1) Some tap water.

2) Finely ground coffee.

3) A standard plastic credit card, not one of those fancy metal credit cards.

Method:

- Boil the water.

- Put the coffee in the hot water.

- Drink it.

- Go online and use the credit card to order a Ouija board.

- Use it to make contact with the spirit of a 12th century sorcerer and ask him whether the SWC is waterproof or not since Shimano apparently can't decide!”

Yeah he doesn't hold back. 

Now read the saltiga. 🤙🏼🤙🏼🤙🏼

21 hours ago, Kimtown said:

Big cat reality - so for the most part we will be fishing on individual Tender’s/Dory’s without a guide helping us. Basically doing everything ourselves outside of the cooking, cleaning and accomodation part - just the way I like it 🙂

I’ll personally be doing a bit of everything. Probably throw poppers and stick baits out for the morning until I tire out and then revert to bait fishing or trolling the afternoons… maybe idk lol 

Awesome. Lots of shallow water fishing. Top water over shallow reefs is so satisfying/exciting. 

Sounds like you have all bases covered. I hope you have a ball mate. 

14 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Awesome. Lots of shallow water fishing. Top water over shallow reefs is so satisfying/exciting. 

Sounds like you have all bases covered. I hope you have a ball mate. 

I can’t wait! I searched the forum and stumbled across one of your earlier posts from a while back where I noticed you’ve done a similar trip and you were taking the following gear: 

• 30lb Braid on 6000 Sustain on 7 foot 6PE casting rod - for casting slugs and plastics
  • 50lb Mono Tyrons 20 on 6 foot rod. It currently has 30lb on it gonna up this to 50 Floating live baits.
  • 50 lb Braid on 25k Saragosa on 6.6 rod for baits and plastics into heavy country. 
  • 15 lb Braid on Stradic on 15 lb rod for bait jigs and dicking around with small lures.   “

I’m assuming you actually went on this trip and took the above gear.. brands aside, is there anything you’d change or add/subtract in the future if you were to go back? 

I notice you didn’t take a really heavy casting rod. Didn’t do much popping for GT or did you use the charters equipment for this?

Based on the advice given here, plus some more research, heres all the outfits what I'm looking at so far. Please feel free to critique, suggest anything else.

Heavy Popping:
Marusame Caranx PE6-10 78222
14000 XG SW Stella
80lbs braid 

Medium casting:
Bone OTLP771H OceanThug LightPop PE3-6
10000 hg Saragosa
50-65lbs braid

Medium bait:
Crucis Elite Hoodlum 702MH 10-15KG 7’0”
10000 hg Saragosa
50lbs braid

Medium overhead, trolling/jigging:
Phantom Overhead 5’7”
Talica 12 or 16
50-65lbs braid

Light spin:
Something around 7’0” and PE1-3
5000 Saragosa
25-30lbs braid

I'm still debating whether its worth taking a microjigging rod, and whether i take another really light bait fish rod or just use the light spin outfit for that purpose (probably saves taking up anything unnecessary).

For those who have done a similar trip, am I missing anything, do all these combinations seem okay?

Cheers

Jeezus there’s a lot of $$ for the one trip! Just note the saragosa 10000 is a pretty heavy reel and low gear (4.9:1) not high gear. I’d also not go below 6ft for your trolling rod. The extra length gives you more control. 
I’d be taking a 50lb 7ft overhead setup for shallowish (<50m) water and a 80lb 6’6 overhead setup for deep (>50m) water.you could troll with both of these if you have 10m of mono leader atop the braid.  Plus a light spin setup 30lb braid and a heavy spin that could double as your popper rod (65lb-80lb braid)
Id guarantee you will be using the light spin and light overhead the most.
Don’t bother with the ultralight stuff 30lb is the minimum I would fish in reefy country. 

to be honest the Shimano  Terez line of rods would do all of this for you. Match them to the reel you want (can’t go wrong with mid range Shimano) at the shop and pull on them and see what you like. Go to a smaller store if you are spending this much $$ and they will price match or even beat the big guys I’m sure. 

Keep it simple. Remember the fish don’t know what gear they are attached to!

27 minutes ago, Andrew_P said:

Jeezus there’s a lot of $$ for the one trip! Just note the saragosa 10000 is a pretty heavy reel and low gear (4.9:1) not high gear. I’d also not go below 6ft for your trolling rod. The extra length gives you more control. 
I’d be taking a 50lb 7ft overhead setup for shallowish (<50m) water and a 80lb 6’6 overhead setup for deep (>50m) water.you could troll with both of these if you have 10m of mono leader atop the braid.  Plus a light spin setup 30lb braid and a heavy spin that could double as your popper rod (65lb-80lb braid)
Id guarantee you will be using the light spin and light overhead the most.
Don’t bother with the ultralight stuff 30lb is the minimum I would fish in reefy country. 

to be honest the Shimano  Terez line of rods would do all of this for you. Match them to the reel you want (can’t go wrong with mid range Shimano) at the shop and pull on them and see what you like. Go to a smaller store if you are spending this much $$ and they will price match or even beat the big guys I’m sure. 

Keep it simple. Remember the fish don’t know what gear they are attached to!

Yeah I tend to go a bit OTT when it comes to stuff like this but everything I buy I try to have legitimate justification on why I buy it. I’ve already got a couple Saragossa 10000’s that’s why they are included and I’d still get decent use out of the popping rod for BFT down here in Melbourne and a 14000 Stella would just be amazing to have everything. Maybe it’s not all justified but I’m okay with spending this amount of money personally  

Thanks for the response,  I’ll take it on all on board. FYI I own a couple of terez too, I love the rods and would happily take them, but the problem lays in that they are 1pc and it’d be really difficult to get them up there. So unfortunately they aren’t really an option for me  

On 11/07/2021 at 12:12 AM, Terry H said:

Are you are flying up? If so, why not pickup a rod tube and fly with some of your existing rods? I have done this domestically and internationally without much hassle. 

I am flying and I am planning on doing this, however I don’t own many 2 piece rods in the required sizes for this trip, so I’ll need to purchase. 

45 minutes ago, Terry H said:

Shimano tubes come up to 2.2m which I think should handle single piece 7 ft rods: https://www.shimanofish.com.au/content/fish/oceania/au/en/homepage/productdetail.P-ROD_TUBES.html 

That’s not the problem, the issue is they only have one of them tiny little Qantas planes that fly Melbourne > Bundaberg and they don’t accept oversize luggage (from my very little research), therefore, I need to post it up. And I think it’s just easier to post smaller length parcels… or something…. Actually it’s probably no different either way to post… I actually don’t really know why I’m looking at 2 piece haha

15 minutes ago, Kimtown said:

And I think it’s just easier to post smaller length parcels… or something…. Actually it’s probably no different either way to post… I actually don’t really know why I’m looking at 2 piece haha

It is much easier to add a rod tube that is 5'6 to flight luggage, than one that is 7-8ft, I have a 7'9" Shimano popper rod that is 2 piece and it breaks down to 5'3" at its longest, so even just sticking it in the car to travel with is so much easier than if it was a single piece rod. If it is a small plane you are going in, a small 5'6" tube should be no problem to fly with.

Postage wise, I think that anything over 1m will be too long but Couriers aren't a problem.

9 hours ago, Ed. said:

It is much easier to add a rod tube that is 5'6 to flight luggage, than one that is 7-8ft, I have a 7'9" Shimano popper rod that is 2 piece and it breaks down to 5'3" at its longest, so even just sticking it in the car to travel with is so much easier than if it was a single piece rod. If it is a small plane you are going in, a small 5'6" tube should be no problem to fly with.

Postage wise, I think that anything over 1m will be too long but Couriers aren't a problem.

I’d have to look into it again but I’m almost certain they said no extra luggage on the small flight 

Regardless, I’m going with the notion that I’ll choose the fishing gear that fits and then the transport method of said gear comes second  

On 06/07/2021 at 10:23 AM, Kimtown said:

Go the Stella!  Shimano bias too 😉

On 07/07/2021 at 8:10 AM, Kimtown said:

50lb Mono Tyrons 20 on 6 foot rod

This was the rod I used the most. We were mostly doing bottom bashing as there were 10 fishers on the boat. 50lb was ok. I would have liked a little more drag pressure and heavier line at times but it did really well. If you are fishing all day you cant hold much more than what this could offer. 

37 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Don't forget to take a decent rod bucket/gimbal belt with you, it will make it so much easier on you if you have to skull drag fish up from the bottom.

How about butt cushion things?

also side note; is this website really difficult to navigate via PC web browser or is it just my PC?

22 minutes ago, Kimtown said:

also side note; is this website really difficult to navigate via PC web browser or is it just my PC?

I don't have any issues using the latest Firefox browser on PC.

If you're after a particular forum category (e.g. Saltwater) just click on Forum > Forum Categories, then select the forum/s you want on the RHS.

If you want to follow all recent threads, Click Activity > All Activity etc.

Feel free to pm any questions. 🙂

On 09/07/2021 at 8:31 AM, Kimtown said:

Medium casting:
Bone OTLP771H OceanThug LightPop PE3-6
10000 hg Saragosa
50-65lbs braid

I might substitute this rod out for something cheaper (it’s about $429.00)

Can anyone recommend any 7 foot lure casting rods around PE 2 up to 6 that is more affordable?

At the moment I’m looking at the Daiwa Demon Blood S702- PE 3/5 which is $389 but I think I’d rather just pay the $50 more for the Marusame 

any other options out there? Pref 2 piece

Hi Kimtown, what weight lures are you thinking of casting? You could have a look at these:

Shimano Anthems SW rods, there is an Anthem SW 692 medium to heavy spinning rod 60gm lures and 30-50lb line for under $300, that Anthem SW model range  has 12 rods in it both overhead and spinning.  I have the heavier 792 GT popping rod (under $350) which does PE8-10 and lure weight 100-250gm, I have the Penn Spinfisher SSVI8500LL reel on it, these are 2 piece rods which join at the butt, so easier to transport.

Demon Blood 792XH PE5-6, 90-230gm,  2 piece spilt at butt, about $240-320  (just checked again and it may be sold out)

Ugly Stik USBW-SP 701H 15-24kg 25-120g, I piece about $165

Cheers

Ed.

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

Hi Kimtown, what weight lures are you thinking of casting? You could have a look at these:

Shimano Anthems SW rods, there is an Anthem SW 692 medium to heavy spinning rod 60gm lures and 30-50lb line for under $300, that Anthem SW model range  has 12 rods in it both overhead and spinning.  I have the heavier 792 GT popping rod (under $350) which does PE8-10 and lure weight 100-250gm, I have the Penn Spinfisher SSVI8500LL reel on it, these are 2 piece rods which join at the butt, so easier to transport.

Demon Blood 792XH PE5-6, 90-230gm,  2 piece spilt at butt, about $240-320  (just checked again and it may be sold out)

Ugly Stik USBW-SP 701H 15-24kg 25-120g, I piece about $165

Cheers

Ed.

I think I like the sound of the 7’ 3-5 PE demon blood a little more as a medium outfit rod, 230gm seems like a lot though?

I’ll try and track down a anthems have a feel of one 

Yes, you are right, 230gm is a lot but it is spec'ed to handle lures up from 90gm, I made a heap of  20cm poppers and I was surprised that none went over 150gm, averaged around the 120gm weight and I used large 4x trebles, (probably because I used a very light Silky Oak wood).  230gm is about 8oz in the old parlance, I am not sure what the weight of store bought poppers/lures are.

The reason I chose that particular Anthem SW as that seemed to  be built right in respect to my reel, I looked at about 6-7 rods and when I fitted my reel on them, the first guide on most of them was too small, too close to the blank and or too close to the reel seat, which would mean that there would be a lot of line slap against the first guide. The diameter of the large spool and distance of the reel from the blank, would have too great a  line angle coming of it causing the line hoops hitting that first guide and the casting distance would be reduced.

My GT popping rod is too long and too stiff (as it is a PE8-10) to be used as a jigging rod as the leverage against me would be quite bad, but I do have other and shorter rods which I use for jigging, so a 7ft one or lighter PE rod would be better, but I only bought mine for GT popping (distance and heaps of grunt). You should take your reel into a store and try it out on any rods that you are interested in to see if it suits and if the rod bends the way you want it to.

Don't forget to check the rod guides alignment with the blanks' backbone before you buy any.

11 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Yes, you are right, 230gm is a lot but it is spec'ed to handle lures up from 90gm, I made a heap of  20cm poppers and I was surprised that none went over 150gm, averaged around the 120gm weight and I used large 4x trebles, (probably because I used a very light Silky Oak wood).  230gm is about 8oz in the old parlance, I am not sure what the weight of store bought poppers/lures are.

The reason I chose that particular Anthem SW as that seemed to  be built right in respect to my reel, I looked at about 6-7 rods and when I fitted my reel on them, the first guide on most of them was too small, too close to the blank and or too close to the reel seat, which would mean that there would be a lot of line slap against the first guide. The diameter of the large spool and distance of the reel from the blank, would have too great a  line angle coming of it causing the line hoops hitting that first guide and the casting distance would be reduced.

My GT popping rod is too long and too stiff (as it is a PE8-10) to be used as a jigging rod as the leverage against me would be quite bad, but I do have other and shorter rods which I use for jigging, so a 7ft one or lighter PE rod would be better, but I only bought mine for GT popping (distance and heaps of grunt). You should take your reel into a store and try it out on any rods that you are interested in to see if it suits and if the rod bends the way you want it to.

Don't forget to check the rod guides alignment with the blanks' backbone before you buy any.

Great post, thanks for the info!

43 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Hi @Kimtown, found a Youtube link to some guys fishing for Bluefin tuna in Victoria using the Anthem SW rods.

Oh yep, that’s Winga. He’s a pretty well known Melbourne fisho who lives and breathes Shimano gear! Good enough for him, good enough for me, I guess!

they are a very good price also

13 minutes ago, Ed. said:

I usually stay away from Shimano gear as a rule but I made an exception in this case.😁

I love my saragossa’s and Terez’s I have, I don’t have much more shimano stuff other than very cheap stuff. I’m pretty set on an xg Stella though