Salty Captain

GregOug

2 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Hi Greg, 

Recently purchased both the salty captain engine flush and the boat wash (they are separate products). 

The hose attachments and fittings they come with are of better quality than expected and worth the money in my opinion. The engine flush is good peace of mind more than anything 

Thanks Sam. Does it clean the boat? And is it worth the money in your opinion?

If you look at its Ph levels I think it's only slightly acidic, I've read else where that it seems to be fine on gelcoat, glass, wraps etc.. not sure over a long period of time though. 

I tend to not use it every time, if I'm going out the next day or the day after. Only when I know the boat will be sitting there for a week or so. But that's only cos I'm a tight***!

Yeah mate it speeds up the process for sure!

Edited by samsteele115

Well, I used it for the first time a couple of days ago and I must say I wasn’t that impressed. Didn’t seem to make any difference to how clean the boat was at the end. Don’t know if removed the salt because usually don’t notice much salt even before I start washing it. It’s cleaning qualities don’t seem particularly remarkable. In fact, it takes twice as long because you have to spray the whole boat with foam, then wait for it to ‘work’. The pathetic instructions don’t say how long that wait should be, but I left it maybe 15 minutes. Used the gurney on it after that. Overall, very disappointed. Ripped off again!

25 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Bugger! Pretty sure it says to wait 3-5mins on mine? I find it quite satisfying to use, but sorry for the bum steer. I guess if you have a high pressure hose nothing will really beat that. I'm stuck with 300kpa mains pressure and no gerney 🙄

No problem. They are probably just saving on money during COVID by omitting the instruction sheet. 

I have started using ALDI car wash, applied with a foaming gun on a pressure washer (2700psi) to clean the boat.  Works a treat.

I use salt away for muff flushes- have an appllcator... flush for say 10min then 'turn on' salt away.

If using the boat for a few days in a row, I tend to run motor in a tank with aldi boat wash until the water is HOT...

55 minutes ago, dmck said:

I have started using ALDI car wash, applied with a foaming gun on a pressure washer (2700psi) to clean the boat.  Works a treat.

I use salt away for muff flushes- have an appllcator... flush for say 10min then 'turn on' salt away.

If using the boat for a few days in a row, I tend to run motor in a tank with aldi boat wash until the water is HOT...

The problem is, how do you know the motor flush is doing anything? Or even that it’s not damaging your motor? At least with the foaming wash you can see it’s a waste of time.

22 hours ago, GregOug said:

So you use the Aldi boat wash in your motor as well? Is it designed for that?

I'm assuming its designed to clean.  When I use my tank, around 300 litres  I probably only add about 50-ml of detergent.  I then run the motor for about 30-45 min.  I have used kitchen detergent previously (to the Aldi).

I'm assuming the long time in the water (getting hotter) will remove the salt and the detergent will aid its removal.

So far - so good.

As a detergent to clean the boat the Aldi seems the equivalent of 'truck wash' and squid ink is certainly easier to sponge off once its been sitting in suds for 10min.

• 2 years later...

I've been using it for about 4 years every wash and flush.

Had the motor jackets inspected on it's 300 hour service two days ago...absolutely looks like new inside. I was surprised and almost amazed. Zero tarnish on the brass on the thermostat as well.

All of the anodes were working normally as well, corroding away as they should, so it does not bother them and some people fear.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used both the boat wash and the engine flush. I can say for sure the boat wash works, but it's expensive so I switched to a 4x4 "after beach wash" that, while it doesn't do as good a job, is a ton cheaper and for a beat up fishing boat I'm not that concerned about appearance. I still use their engine flush religiously though. I didn't get their expensive "captain's musket" thing... I bought exactly the same thing in a cheaper brand on special from Anaconda.

If you have a pretty new boat and want to keep it looking flash by all means use the Salty Captain products... they do work. Just comparing the cover on my outboard after washing with "salty captain" compared to the 4x4 wash shows a significant difference in salt spotting on the black surface once it all dries.