Bargain hunting

Do$tylz

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 24/02/2022 at 9:01 AM, kmcrosby78 said:

Perhaps that's why Bec moved you to an ISLAND .......... although she may have underestimated your tenacity ...... I'm assuming they'd DELIVER to your island ......... 🤔🤫

I ate stingray the other day. Delicious. I made a hand spear from a long stick and added an old spear from a spear gun. They are everywhere on the flats on the incoming tide. 

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I ate stingray the other day. Delicious. I made a hand spear from a long stick and added an old spear from a spear gun. They are everywhere on the flats on the incoming tide. 

I’ve had Ray before. If you cut the flaps into circles it’s hard to distinguish from scallops without the roe. In fact, my trawler skipper many years ago said that most fish shops used skate in place of scallops.

Regardless, I’ve been eyeing off a recipe from my Rick Stein ‘Fish and Shellfish’ book for skate for ages. I’ve attached it here. I hope I’m not breaking copyright. At least I am attributing it to him. I also highly recommend buying a copy of the book. Every recipe I’ve tried so far has been superb!

Photo_2022-02-25_155007.jpg

Document_2022-02-25_154858.pdf

Years ago I was inspired to keep a ray after watching a cooking segment on one of those lifestyle shows where a Noosa chief was preparing and cooking a ray. I made such a mess of butchering the poor animal that I tossed the mangled bits into the bin and never tried again. I need to take some lessons from you @Drop Bear

@GregOug, I am a big Rick Stein fan and have a few of his recipe books. I will keep an eye out for that one.

• 1 year later...