Yippee Yeppoon #2

AUS-BNE-FISHO

2 minutes ago, Junky said:

Least you managed a feed mate. 

What tablets are you taking? 

I don't get crook but my wife and kids do. They take kwell. 

Seems to work. 

They start their dose the day before an outing. 

Yep, that was good Junky. 

I have taken Kwells and Ginger Tablets with mixed success. On all the days I've been out with someone from AFO, it's been quiet calm, and I've been fine. But on a charter and a couple times when I've been out and it's been lumpy, I get sick quiet quick. 

Cheers Hamish

Shame they weren't on the chew. Bigger shame to have dropped the flathead ! I remember a recent post from @GregN70 saying fishing the Fitzroy was tough.

I take Travacalm Original fairly successfully when going outside. (Doesn't work everytime 😞 )  It has a combination of the active ingredients from both Kwell and Dramomine. You need to follow the instructions and you need to start the day with a full stomach.

18 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Shame they weren't on the chew. Bigger shame to have dropped the flathead ! I remember a recent post from @GregN70 saying fishing the Fitzroy was tough.

I take Travacalm Original fairly successfully when going outside. (Doesn't work everytime 😞 )  It has a combination of the active ingredients from both Kwell and Dramomine. You need to follow the instructions and you need to start the day with a full stomach.

Yeah, it was Brian. I think one of the main reasons we struggled was because we had no sounder. I'm not going to blame it all on that or anything, but we might've been driving straight over a school of fish. 

Thanks for the tip with Travacalm. I will have to try it one day. I would make sure it is not on a big day though, if it didn't work, a full stomach and rough seas sounds like a disaster!

Cheers Hamish

On 16/07/2021 at 4:42 PM, ellicat said:

Yeah, the Fitzroy could be one of the most challenging places i've ever fished. If I had to try feed myself in a survival situation there im sure id die of starvation.

As for taking sea sick medication, over the years i found the best was to take a Kwell before bed the night before, then when up in the morning or about an hour before hitting the water have 1 or 2 Travacalms. That Kwell the night before is the key, and is always the best for me.

On 19/07/2021 at 10:13 AM, GregN70 said:

Yeah, the Fitzroy could be one of the most challenging places i've ever fished. If I had to try feed myself in a survival situation there im sure id die of starvation.

As for taking sea sick medication, over the years i found the best was to take a Kwell before bed the night before, then when up in the morning or about an hour before hitting the water have 1 or 2 Travacalms. That Kwell the night before is the key, and is always the best for me.

Hi Greg

Man. It’s a shame you were not rewarded for persistence. 
I have heard a kwell the night before can work. I will try this as well as the one ellicat suggested eventually. 
Cheers Hamish

7 hours ago, GregOug said:

Hi Hamish,

Thanks for the interesting report. Just a word of caution. Not sure what type of welding your uncle was doing but you normally shouldn’t watch someone welding without wearing a welding helmet yourself. There is real danger of permanently damaging your eyes.

cheers

Greg

Hi Greg

No worries. I should’ve specified. I wore a welding helmet too. It was a bit harder to see but I could still make everything out.

Cheera Hamish

There is still hope. When i first started boat fishing I needed to dose up on the kwell tablets but over time you will gain your sea legs if you persist.

Now I don't take any tablets and can get through all but the roughest days (when i probably shouldn't be out on the water)

The theory is sea sickness is caused by your brain and your balance (inner ear) being out of sync.

• I found the number 1 thing that helped me in the early days was to keep the eyes on the distant horizon, that really helps the brain / eyes / balance all stay in sync with the horizon helping that.
  • Avoid looking down at your feet or spending too much time tying hooks / terminal etc - This will trigger the sea sickness
  • A good hearty breakfast meal seemed to also help.

11 hours ago, Hweebe said:

There is still hope. When i first started boat fishing I needed to dose up on the kwell tablets but over time you will gain your sea legs if you persist.

Now I don't take any tablets and can get through all but the roughest days (when i probably shouldn't be out on the water)

The theory is sea sickness is caused by your brain and your balance (inner ear) being out of sync.

• I found the number 1 thing that helped me in the early days was to keep the eyes on the distant horizon, that really helps the brain / eyes / balance all stay in sync with the horizon helping that.
  • Avoid looking down at your feet or spending too much time tying hooks / terminal etc - This will trigger the sea sickness

As @Hweebe said, for myself, I rarely get seasick and the times I have been it was due to having spent too much time looking towards the floor, such as when tying a lot of knots or problems with motor or boat, but the biggest thing for me is not getting enough sleep the night before going out.

Having breakfast is good as it will give you something to throw up if that happens, as there is nothing worse than dry retching!, wanting to throw up but not being able to do so as your stomach is empty.

18 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Hi Hweebe

Thanks. That's just more reason for me to go out fishing more. That is interesting about the theory, I've never heard that. Basically, I'll just need lots of focus and be careful to not look down. I hope it works for me over time 🤞

7 hours ago, Ed. said:

As @Hweebe said, for myself, I rarely get seasick and the times I have been it was due to having spent too much time looking towards the floor, such as when tying a lot of knots or problems with motor or boat, but the biggest thing for me is not getting enough sleep the night before going out.

Having breakfast is good as it will give you something to throw up if that happens, as there is nothing worse than dry retching!, wanting to throw up but not being able to do so as your stomach is empty.

Hi Ed.

I always try to go to bed the night before fishing. Sometimes it is hard when I'm so excited though. I will start eating a bit before I go out on rougher days.

Cheers Hamish

• 1 year later...