Lifespan?

ggg

Hi all,

I've just managed to purchase an early to mid 90's Mercury 2 stroke outboard. It is the 40hp 'Classic' model. It's an electric start, oil injected, electric trim and tilt model that does run. It will need a new impeller, spark plugs and possibly a carburetor flush, but is a promising motor. How long do these old outboards last for, and how much would this be worth if I give it a lick of paint (it's faded) and cleaned it up nicely? Thanks

As for the value, I wouldn’t have a clue.

As to how long an outboard lasts comes down to a multitude of factors,

Knowing how many hours are on it can help determine lifespan if it has been regularly serviced, wether it has any corrosion throughout the water galleries or cylinders,  what reading you get from compression test on all pots, that’s just a few, then there’s the electrics, there’s plenty of things to take into consideration when buying a secondhand outboard, and it can definitely pay to have a good mechanic give it a thorough going over,

Do you plan on keeping it for yourself?, or just throw some glitter at it and move it on?

2 hours ago, Another Wazza said:

As for the value, I wouldn’t have a clue.

As to how long an outboard lasts comes down to a multitude of factors,

Knowing how many hours are on it can help determine lifespan if it has been regularly serviced, wether it has any corrosion throughout the water galleries or cylinders,  what reading you get from compression test on all pots, that’s just a few, then there’s the electrics, there’s plenty of things to take into consideration when buying a secondhand outboard, and it can definitely pay to have a good mechanic give it a thorough going over,

Do you plan on keeping it for yourself?, or just throw some glitter at it and move it on?

I'll have to buy a cylinder compression tester on the weekend, as I don't know. I was told the compression was good and it was checked out by a mechanic for the previous owner when he bought it. I plan on trading it for a smaller outboard or selling it. I don't think I'll keep it in the long term, as I want an outboard for a roof topper.

On 25/07/2021 at 1:11 PM, Jaz44 said:

Hi all,

I've just managed to purchase an early to mid 90's Mercury 2 stroke outboard. It is the 40hp 'Classic' model. It's an electric start, oil injected, electric trim and tilt model that does run. It will need a new impeller, spark plugs and possibly a carburetor flush, but is a promising motor. How long do these old outboards last for, and how much would this be worth if I give it a lick of paint (it's faded) and cleaned it up nicely? Thanks

Good luck with the engine Jaz. Have you found a boat for you and been doing much fishing recently?

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/07/2021 at 5:41 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Good luck with the engine Jaz. Have you found a boat for you and been doing much fishing recently?

Sorry mate. I didn't receive the notification. Yes, I've been doing a bit of fishing. What about you?

Main thing with those old mercs is to check the side plates they had a habit of burning through and allowing water into the crankcase. Another thing is to check the bottom seal on the motor unit. If serviced regularly by merc mechanic should be ok if not can be a drama as the bolts could be frozen in and will snap off and cost of repair will be excessive.