Kayak Pine River luring

JonoWall
Go to solution Solved by Grmby,

Gday all,

Not new to fishing but am new to kayak fishing and especially lure fishing, have always been a bait fisherman targeting whiting/bream from shore or reef fish out in the deep water.

Have picked up a kayak and live near the pine(Dohles Rocks) so am asking for any spots that are good to hit and especially techniques with and what lures to use. At the moment  i have a 1/2 Switchblade which i havent tried yet, currently using a soft plastic paddle tail with a 1/12 head.

Appreciate all advice! 
Thanks!

Yep, somepeople learn quickly, some learn slowly and some l ike me don't seem to learn at all. I have caught the odd fish aorund the pine but tough going. There are a lot of boats around so maybe sneaking around the corner into Bramble Bay might give you some better territory. Your man Peter Jung has done some videos of fishing on the pine with plastics if you can find him on the youtubes. But Grmby's advice is sound obviously and I can't help you much at all sorry.

On 26/07/2021 at 3:25 PM, JonoWall said:

Gday all,

Not new to fishing but am new to kayak fishing and especially lure fishing, have always been a bait fisherman targeting whiting/bream from shore or reef fish out in the deep water.

Have picked up a kayak and live near the pine(Dohles Rocks) so am asking for any spots that are good to hit and especially techniques with and what lures to use. At the moment  i have a 1/2 Switchblade which i havent tried yet, currently using a soft plastic paddle tail with a 1/12 head.

Appreciate all advice! 
Thanks!

Hi Jono

Make sure you are fishing in the snags, and with the lightest tackle possible. From what I can gather, the Pine is hit pretty hard, so try and avoid crowds, I suppose.

Good luck!

Cheers Hamish

On 27/07/2021 at 1:48 PM, Grmby said:

I fish the pine quite a bit more towards the mouth. 
Run out tide definitely plastics 1/6 or 1/4 depending on how fast it’s heading out. Z man plastics most colours, bright colours when it’s sunny dull in low light. 
hard bodies on high tide around the bridges 

daiwa double clutch 95mm are always good 

started lure fishing around 7-8 years ago after being a bait fisho and won’t be going back to bait. 
persistence is the key and a lot of trial and error working out what is best and when, have a variety of colours and styles of lure 

good luck

Thanks for that! Do you seem to swap the lure off the same leader or are you swapping leader as well? 
trying to figure the best way to change out tackle on the go 

Usually keep the same leader on the day.

leader I use is fluorocarbon between 10-12lb

I’ve never had any issues with that size, for bream it would be lower 6-8lb although I rarely target bream.

A high tide early morning around the bridge on the Brighton side is my goto for fishing. Good size tailor, flathead and have got the odd school mackerel there. 

6 minutes ago, Grmby said:

Usually keep the same leader on the day.

leader I use is fluorocarbon between 10-12lb

I’ve never had any issues with that size, for bream it would be lower 6-8lb although I rarely target bream.

A high tide early morning around the bridge on the Brighton side is my goto for fishing. Good size tailor, flathead and have got the odd school mackerel there. 

Yea beauty,

so you just start long cause I imagine you cut it off the lure rather than untie 🤣

Around the bridge are you near the channel markers or closer to the bars? 

sorry for the questions! Appreciate the Answers!

• 2 years later...

Hi, first time posting in a very long time, and onto an old thread at that 

Ive recently purchased myself a kayak and will be launching from Dohles Rocks, as its a 5 min drive down the road. Heading around the rocks themselves, Bald Hills creek, Freshwater creek and Hays Inlet. Can I assume the above tips are still pertinent. 

How is the fishing around these areas lately from the water? Ive not caught much from lad at allrecently.

Thanks