Rod suggestions and general information

Brodie_S

Looking for 2pc 6-7’3 graphite rod that’s gonna go well with a 5000 size shimano spooled with 300m of 20lb/PE 1.7 braid. Not really sure what I’m gonna be using this setup for all I know so far is it’s mainly going to be a boat rod and maybe every blue moon a light landbased game rod. This setup is mainly going to be used offshore mid nsw anywhere from port stevens to Coffs Harbour . So basically 

1 looking for a new rod need suggestions 

2 need any good advice I can get about ocean/offshore fishing 

3 need any good advice on lure choice fishing methods , speices and any other helpful information I can get .

thanks 

27 minutes ago, Ed. said:

If you want to use it as a boat rod and light game setup and don't have a reel already, then I would recommend getting a lever drag overhead rod/reel setup, they are IMHO a much nicer and better setup to use on a boat.

I will probably get one in the future but I already have the spin reel and the braid is coming in the mail soon . Not to long ago I found a saltist overhead 2010s model on market place in good condition for $20 it was only on marketplace for 20 minutes or so . I messaged the seller 5 minutes after it had been listed but someone already beat me would have been a great to have it but all well you can’t win everytime 

19 hours ago, Nog said:

Shimnao Terez TZS72M (20-40lb) 7'2"  if you want to spend a bit of coin.  I have the TZS72MH to pair with a Saragosa 10000 and it's a beast of a setup.

Whatever your budget is bro

Yeah I’d love to get a setup like that but I don’t have the money for it my budget for the rod would be under $200

On 05/08/2021 at 12:28 PM, Breaming with bro said:

Looking for 2pc 6-7’3 graphite rod that’s gonna go well with a 5000 size shimano spooled with 300m of 20lb/PE 1.7 braid. Not really sure what I’m gonna be using this setup for all I know so far is it’s mainly going to be a boat rod and maybe every blue moon a light landbased game rod. This setup is mainly going to be used offshore mid nsw anywhere from port stevens to Coffs Harbour . So basically 

1 looking for a new rod need suggestions 

2 need any good advice I can get about ocean/offshore fishing 

3 need any good advice on lure choice fishing methods , speices and any other helpful information I can get .

thanks 

Hey Bro

I can't help you on a rod. Apart from an Ugly Stik, which would probably be do-able, I'm not that much help. You could also look at the Live Fibre rods but I'd imagine they'd cost too much. 

Good luck offshore fishing. I think persistence is key. Snapper and Kingfish both like live baits - maybe jig some (you can get them in harbour, near pylons, etc) and try them 

Cheers Hamish

52 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Bro

I can't help you on a rod. Apart from an Ugly Stik, which would probably be do-able, I'm not that much help. You could also look at the Live Fibre rods but I'd imagine they'd cost too much. 

Good luck offshore fishing. I think persistence is key. Snapper and Kingfish both like live baits - maybe jig some (you can get them in harbour, near pylons, etc) and try them 

Cheers Hamish

Thanks for the tips and nah I’m after a graphite rod so I’ll have to pass on the ugly stik might have a look at the live fibres though

Hi, Breaming with Bro, you could go over to the BCF site and do a search for rods that would suit you. Go to the fishing section, then select rods, andthen select the criteria on the left of the page that you need, ie; length, how many pieces, Kg, and price range. Might narrow it down for you, see what they have, then do the same on the Anaconda site.

7 hours ago, Nog said:

5 hours ago, Ed. said:

Hi, Breaming with Bro, you could go over to the BCF site and do a search for rods that would suit you. Go to the fishing section, then select rods, andthen select the criteria on the left of the page that you need, ie; length, how many pieces, Kg, and price range. Might narrow it down for you, see what they have, then do the same on the Anaconda site.

Thanks I’ll check out those new abu rods . Didn’t realise you could do that on those sites thanks for the tip Ed

On 09/08/2021 at 7:51 PM, Ed. said:

No Problem, I forgot to mention Dinga.com.au, if you join them  (which is free) I think that they give you $20 off your first order, as well as free delivery on orders over $20.

Cheers

Ed.

yeah thanks I've bought FC rock from their site when it was cheap overall not a bad online tackle store . The atomic arrows rods are on special at the moment the smaller bream/estuary/light stuff is $112 and the offshore models are $135. would recommend getting one atm if you want one as its very rare they get this cheap I've only seen them this cheap when i got my first arrows rod ages ago. I ended up getting the ASS-270H offshore model its a 7 foot 14-30lb rod with a casting range of 10-50 grams which is perfect for what I want as I want to use some bigger lures like 30-40 stickbaits bigger plastics metal slugs etc im going to match it up with a Daiwa kix 4000 would have went with a stradic 5000 but they don't have enough line capacity. daiwa reels seem to have a lot stronger drags then shimanos and a lot more line capacity. After this hopefully I can stay away from buying reels/rods as now my arsenal is almost complete just need to get that reel for this rod .This is my rod/reel arsenal now. note this took a lot of saving up for and somehow I still managed to actually put a decent amount of money away for savings .

UL setup .atomic arrows bream surface 3-8lb / stradic fl 1000 

light setup .daiwa TD nero 2-4kg / sedona 2500

medium light setup. atomic arrows estuary 6-12lb / stradic ci4+FB 2500

medium bait setup. daiwa RZ 6-9kg / Sienna 4000

medium heavy setup . daiwa TD nero 4-9kg / daiwa legalis nero LT 4000

coming soon heavy setup . atomic arrows offshore 14-30lb / daiwa kix LT 4000

5 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

After this hopefully I can stay away from buying reels/rods as now my arsenal is almost complete just need to get that reel for this rod .This is my rod/reel arsenal now.

I don't know about the "staying away from buying  reels/rods" bit, once you start getting a bit of gear you will always keep an eye out for the latest and greatest stuff in "specials" that come up, which you must have because it will have this or that or other feature which your current gear does not have! 🤣

A lot of us have been, and still are down that particular rabbit hole.😄

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

I don't know about the "staying away from buying  reels/rods" bit, once you start getting a bit of gear you will always keep an eye out for the latest and greatest stuff in "specials" that come up, which you must have because it will have this or that or other feature which your current gear does not have! 🤣

A lot of us have been, and still are down that particular rabbit hole.😄

I was thinking the same thing when I read that comment from Bro. Haha

Pretty good collection for a young fella though @Breaming with bro

Today I went out to town to grab my reel note it was legal I didn't break any lockdown restrictions or rules 

I went to my local tackle shop great place out of all the tackle shops I've been to its one of the best and luckily for me its not far from where I live not so lucky for the wallet . I went there got my new reel (Daiwa kix 4000) had a quick chat with the owner and came home .  I spooled the tiniest bit of 6lb mono backing on to the reel as I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to fit all 300m of Tasline on to the reel. got a pencil 2 bricks and some weights and made a homemade line spooler and I began cranking . Surprisingly 300m of 0.225 Tasline PE 1.7 fit the reel perfectly it wasn't over filled or under it was just perfect.Soon as I was done spooling the rod came in the mail .Perfect timing I matched the rod and reel together on the rod and it was a match made in heaven they felt excellent together. The arrowz rod looked and felt excellent quality as they usually do. Its no high end Wilson, Temple reef or Hamachi rod but for the price they are a great deal especially when they are on discount. Thanks everybody for the advice and recommendations can't wait to go out and use it

The photos 

377C50C2-D707-40D1-B89D-3231393AA8C0.jpeg

5004B837-344F-403E-8443-5EA72DE556C1.jpeg

80118B6C-59C3-468B-8488-1B2F5C0DA971.jpeg