My First Boat?

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

Today, just like any other day, I went to school, and teed up a conversation with my teacher, who likes fishing as well. He recently got a new boat. Anyways, we ended up coming to the subject of a boat for me. He suggested I get a small 3M punt (maybe a bit bigger) with a 6HP Engine. Obviously I would get it second hand - new would be way to expensive. 

I spent the day contemplating it (and learning!) and it seems like a good idea. It would be a Brisbane River Machine. I could take my mates out and whiz to spot from spot. When I'm not doing that, I could kayak or fish landbased!  1 slight hiccup. I don't know the first thing about boating. Sure, I know a bit about the types of hulls, motors, sounders, etc, but nothing that's to in depth. 

So what does everyone think? Is this a terrible idea? Should I just keep kayaking until I'm old enough/got enough money to get a boat that will handle Moreton Bay on a good day? Or should I spend my life's savings (a bit depressing when you think about it - I have a total of 1K for 13 years of life 🤣) and get a small boat which will enable me to learn to drive, use, and learn a lot more about boating? I know there's many factors to consider, like storage, trailer, etc.

So, questions - 

1. Should I get a punt if a good deal arises? Or is it a terrible idea?

2. What is worth it for a project boat?

3. If anyone has any other recommendations around the $1 000 budget that will handle the Middle Reaches of The Brisbane River (mainly UQ and up, so no CityCat wake problems), and Jumpinpin on a good day, I'd love to hear it. 

3. Could any legend on here divulge into a bit of boating information? Hulls and motors?

Thanks a heap to anyone who helps,

Cheers Hamish

Options - 

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2021-stessl-3-00m-vagabond-v-bow-punt/SHRM-AD-565484/?Cr=36

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1990-clark-3-7m-v-nose-punt/SSE-AD-7303524/?Cr=23

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/?q=(And.Service.boatsales._.BoatAll.keyword(punt).)&offset=24

(I wouldn't get any of these, just using as examples). 

On 16/08/2021 at 8:57 PM, Ed. said:

Hamish, from a safety and financial point of view, if I was you I would not be getting a 3m punt, with a 6HP motor you would also need to get it and the trailer registered yearly and insured, so that will be an ongoing money drain, also you will need to get a boat licence, not sure what the minimum age is for one of those. Plus by the time you put all the safety gear in, as well as all your fishing gear and the weight of your mates and all their gear you will be crowded, and very little room to move about in the boat. In other words ...IMHO, too small.

I have only been in a small punt once in my life and it was not a pleasant experience and not one I ever repeated. No matter how much you try to avoid wakes and waves you will eventually be amongst them and a small flat nose and bottomed  punt is not what you will want to be in, but that is just me. Others here may have had better experiences.

Cheers
Ed.

Hi Ed.

Thanks for the advice. It helps a lot. You don't need a boat registered if it has a 6HP engine or under, though. 

On 17/08/2021 at 7:43 AM, Angry51 said:

Yeah, What Ed says, I would suggest you just hang on and save up  till

you can afford the boat you really want.

Those little punts are only good for duck shooting on the dam.

Boats are like horses.

A good quality one only costs as much to own as a bad one.

My 2 bobs worth.

Hi Angry

Thanks, I guess I will wait a bit longer until I can get a better boat.

On 17/08/2021 at 8:59 AM, ellicat said:

I think I'm with the others. I felt a little uncomfortable reading your post. Any old motor troubles and you'd have to row to shore which isn't as easy as rowing a yak.

Be patient, Grasshopper.

Thanks Brian. My day will come eventually, I guess. Haha. 

On 17/08/2021 at 9:19 AM, leeroy1 said:

There are a lot of kids in the canals on the Goldy around your age with 3.2m tinnies with up to 15hp on them as i'm sure most have seen the videos.

A lot different in the canals and broadwaater than Brisbane River and Moreton Bay as they are usually within swimming distance to shore if something happens and the amount of boat traffic means someone is usually around, mostly swearing at them to slow down.

As they others said take it slow and safety is the main concern. Why not look at an electric for the Yak to get you further?

Hey Leeroy

Oh, I thought they'd only have 6HP. Lol. That's a bit naughty if they're zooming around in that. I guess a bigger boat would be a lot safer. Dad and I can't really justify putting an electric on a yak. A good battery would cost heaps - our yak is only worth $700. $150 for an engine and $500 for a battery adds up (we'd want a lithium one so it last longer at a lighter weight).

On 17/08/2021 at 11:41 AM, Old Scaley said:

Hamish, I agree with the others - stick with the kayak for now. For a start, boat’s are overpriced at the moment. By the time you are old enough to drive a car and a bigger boat, the pandemic should be behind us and prices will have dropped. With the kayak, you can tow that behind your pushie and go out solo. The punt will need to be transported and there will be fewer places to launch it. 

Those kids on the canals are a disaster waiting to happen. No doubt some of them are living in houses on the canal which means they can jump in the tinny anytime without needing Mum or Dad to transport them to a ramp. And if they are under 16 they won’t have a licence which they are required to have for motors over 6hp. Your turn will come. In the meantime keep looking for those deckie opportunities and learn as much as you can before you get your own tub.

Hi Steve

Thanks for the tips. It would be good if the boats got cheaper - I was shocked at how costly some were. They are very lucky to live on a house near the water. Just the other day Dad and I were thinking that we should've snapped a house up on the river just after the floods happened.

On 17/08/2021 at 12:01 PM, Tuna are fish said:

Anywhere that you can go in a small tinny you can go in a yak, if you are going to get anything maybe get an eclectic motor for your kayak, or save till your 16 and the pandemic is over so that boat prices are a little bit cheaper.

Hey Tuna

The problem is a kayak cannot go everywhere a small tinny can go - I could go further in one day with an motor instead of paddles, lol

On 17/08/2021 at 5:17 PM, SuperHans said:

Hi Hamish,

The advice above is really good. But if you really cant wait I would be working on your dad to buy a boat [and maybe offer half of your savings towards it]. He will then be responsible for registration, safety equipment, driving it on the trailer etc while you develop your boating skills. Skippers have a lot of responsibility, especially for the safety of their passengers. If he is agreeable then maybe he can look at something a little bigger too? 

Hey Hans

I wish that would happen - I ask him everyday. There's always some sort of excuse though (or just a no).

On 18/08/2021 at 10:01 PM, GregOug said:

I agree with everyone above. If you had the money to buy a decent 12 foot aluminium with a reliable motor and you only intended to use it in the river I would say go for it, but you’re not going to get one for $1000. Keep saving and buy one when you can afford it.

Hey Greg

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I can get a job when I'm fourteen and start saving from there.

Cheers Hamish

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Ed.

Thanks for the advice. It helps a lot. You don't need a boat registered if it has a 6HP engine or under, though. 

Hamish, actually you do, here is a cut and paste from the Qld. gov. boat registration site.

"All boats—including personal watercraft (PWC)—with an engine of 3kW or more must be registered when they are on the water in Queensland."

(and 3kW is equivalent to 4HP).

Cheers

Ed.

On 20/08/2021 at 7:05 PM, Ed. said:

Hamish, actually you do, here is a cut and paste from the Qld. gov. boat registration site.

"All boats—including personal watercraft (PWC)—with an engine of 3kW or more must be registered when they are on the water in Queensland."

(and 3kW is equivalent to 4HP).

Cheers

Ed.

Thanks Ed. I was wrong!

8 hours ago, benno573 said:

Don’t do it Hamish.

the problem with an old boat/motor is just that - it is old. Even with regular maintenance and servicing, there will still be issues. Add into that two regos (boat+trailer), upkeep, maintenance, consumables (fuel, oil etc)... without a regular income you would find yourself off the water real quick.

ill throw a curveball out there... consider perhaps the type of kayak you have and maybe look to invest into a hobie or similar. I can easily cover 15km+ in a day on my hobie despite the fact, as you have pointed out previously, I am fat and old. I can fish a lot of places that you can on a boat and certainly anywhere you can in a 3m tinny with a 6hp - and the best bit a lot of places you just can’t get to on a boat of any size. You can pick up reasonable second hand ones for $1500-ish.

pros: no rego costs, no insurance costs, minimal maintenance, no trailer.

cons: person powered, still requires a car to move it (maybe a push bike attachment option)

Hi Benno

Thanks for the advice. That is definitely a good option. If I got a tandem one it would be even better, then Dad and I could both go in it. I don't mind paddling, in fact at the moment I'd probably prefer that so I can get a bit stronger. Lol.

7 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

The best thing I did was save for a 4m tinny with 15hp in relatively good and safe condition (after considering the same advice from many of the same members!). It was about 3k from memory. I learnt some valuable boating lessons in something a lot cheaper but not so cheap where safety was compromised. Sure, I got a taste for bay and offshore fishing a couple of years later and subsequently upgraded. But I wouldn't have changed that purchase decision if I had my time again 

Thanks Sam. I think this is what I'll do. It seems like a far more sensible thing.

Cheers Hamish

• 2 weeks later...