Reef Magic 2021

tugger

Another great trip and haul there @tugger, well done mate.  Nice solid pearlie, bet it made you happy 🙂. In the last photo, what is the trout looking fish in the top right (below the tuskies/parrot) - coral cod?  Always interesting looking at all variations in colour in the trout. Assuming the ones with the dark blotches on them just have the usual white flesh underneath?

58 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Another great trip and haul there @tugger, well done mate.  Nice solid pearlie, bet it made you happy 🙂. In the last photo, what is the trout looking fish in the top right (below the tuskies/parrot) - coral cod?  Always interesting looking at all variations in colour in the trout. Assuming the ones with the dark blotches on them just have the usual white flesh underneath?

Thanks Kelvin the fish is a tomato cod, and yes they have white flesh under that blotch I have had a few trout with that before

• tugger changed the title to Reef Magic 2021
1 hour ago, GregN70 said:

Looks like I might need to do a trip south soon.

Getting keen to catch some reef fish.

Some great fishing around the bunker group but I must admit it was a good bite to that we don't always get. Sometimes you have to work harder for the fish this time we couldn't go wrong especially the coral trout. We were releasing trout over 60cm as we were already bagged out on trout.

8 hours ago, tugger said:

Most of it frozen some eaten fresh and this lot will last about 2 months before all of it is gone. Nothing like pulling Trout and Lipper out of the freezer to feed the family a couple times of week. We love fish at home and a bit goes to my extended family as well you got to look after mum and dad.

Good to know it is not going to waste.

13 hours ago, Tuna are fish said:

Good to know it is not going to waste.

All good I do go to great lengths to look after the catch from ice slurries to washing the fillets in the salt water from the fishing grounds. I have done this method for over 35 years and I can't tell the difference from fresh or frozen afterwards. 

41 minutes ago, benno573 said:

@tugger if you had a choice, would you prefer Coro trout or coral trout on the table? 

In my personal opinion, I haven’t found anything that tops a coro for me but I also eat those funny yellow fish you despise. 😂

Coronation trout are pretty good in my opinion to I think they are on top we had one for lunch on the 1st day on the boat.