Engine Flushing

Bigboat

Yeah saltaway is not cheap but neither is a new motor. My mechanic could show me how the saltaway had formed a film on the head and waterjacket and swears buy it.  

I have heard of blokes who run their motor for 10 min, then add some washing up detergent to the mix for 5 min then a fresh water flush for another 5.  I guess the theory is that the detergent helps dissolve the salt then the fresh flushes it away. Not tried it myself.

ja

• 1 year later...

When flushing my motor I start at full hose pressure then back the flow back about 1/2 so there is still a good amount of water going through but you feel the thermostat opening and closing regulating the temperature in the powerhead. The cycling of the thermostat is easily felt in the tell tale water stream. I let the motor cycle the thermostat for a good 5 minutes then feed through the saltaway, shutting down the motor just before the last of the saltaway leaves the canister. This leaves a residue of saltaway inside the motor on shut down.

I set the revs to about 1000rpm for the flush.