Electric motor on a kayak

Grmby

I'm surprised that you have not had more replies to your post, so I will chip in with my two cents worth even though it doesn't relate exactly to your query.

Some (many) years ago I had a 4.9 meter Canadian style canoe that I used to fish Hinze Dam when fossil fuel boats were banned. I fitted it with a small 28lb thrust electric motor to extend my travel range and time on the water.

It was great for traveling further and faster than I could paddle, and good for trolling too.  It got me back to the ramp quicker if the weather turned nasty while I was out on the water, and I really appreciated it a couple of times heading back into a stiff head wind.

I always thought of it as one of my better decisions, and that the price of the motor and battery was money well spent.

Cheers,   deegee12g

Hi 

Not sure of your location but might be of interest to you. I was speaking with a chap at npd couple weeks back who builds and installs brackets n motors on yaks, explained to me he has a different than standard remote control system and has rewired some for better speed control and is better for the battery. Think he was on pine lakes on Facebook, don't think he's on this forum. I get around on my kayak, motors arnt for me but each to there own. 

• 2 weeks later...

I put an 18lb watersnake on my 3m kayak and it works a treat. Youtube search potatoes GDITB and there is a video on it. 

spec wise, i have a 38ah battery which is good for a 4 hour session of regular but not solid use. Going off the gps on the sounder, it goes 5knots +- wind and tide. I initially had it mounted off the side, but this was inefficient and uncomfortable to use.  I had to use the rudder to counter the off centered push of the motor. 

After a couple of trips i decided to make an aluminium bracket for the motor to fit in place of the rudder so i can stear with the foot pedals.  I pulled the switches off the motor and used extra wire to put the switches in a small box next to my seat. I have the battery in a bracket which has survived one capsize. 

for a larger kayak i would definitely go a higher thrust engine. Also check and make sure to use appropriate gauge wire for the current the motors draw, use water proof connectors, and a fuse. Ive used mine over 50 times and find it quite low maintenance.