Paravanes - what fish to expect other than Schoolies

Ryannnnnnnn

Hey all, 

Had a great time trolling paravanes with spoons for the first time in SEQ recently. Ended up getting 11 Schoolies which was heaps of fun.

What other fish can I expect to catch on paravanes, do other mackerals like spotties or Spanish take them, or do they like lures that are trolled closer to the surface? What about tuna, trevally and reefies? 

Looking forward trying the trolling boards over some reefs / headlands 

Cheers

Ryan 

11 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

You will get bonito as well. Very welcome by catch. 

Spotties will take them not sure about spanish but when they are fired up I would expect them to take anything. 

And yes plenty of grinners. 

Yep, I think on the right day/conditions a large variety of fish would take them. I know Spero (from Fishing Monthly Moreton Bay reports) caught a huge queenfish just east of Green Island when he stopped to wind in a mackerel (it hit his other spoon as it descended). I've heard of spoons being used in the surf/off the rocks for jewies, so again, in the right situation I'm sure it would work. 

I caught my first ever (and still my best) coral trout whilst trolling with a spoon out from Mackay as a young teenager - was on a heavy trolling handline (chord and then probably 100-200lb mono and a big barrel sinker to sink it down) when fishing with a family friend so if they go for that, I'm sure they'd go for a better presented spoon on a paravane.

Perhaps some of us could try them in different locations and see what we come up with over time 🙂.

Oh and I just remembered I caught a nice grey mackerel using them just north of Peel Island a couple of years ago 🙂.

• 3 weeks later...