Suggestions on Whiting Rod and Reel please

Kat

Hi AFO,ers 

I am after some suggestions on a new whiting rod and reel.  For both land and boat based fishing (not for surf beaches).  Ideally it should be something that can handle the Flattie bycatch too.  But predominantly bait fishing for whiting.

One of my land based fisho mates on the GC has a Catana (8ft I think) spooled with 8lb braid and he regularly outfishes me in terms of the size of whiting - 37, 38, 39's.  Probably technique mostly but I do regularly catch 30 to 35cm whiting (although not recently - still getting used to boat fishing).  But I have had a fish with his outfit and I do like it but was hoping for similar in a shorter rod.

The rod I currently use was a much appreciated hand me down from a friend and is a good all rounder but definitely not whippy - blackhawk Ecooda have it paired with my Nasci 2500.

Any suggestions of a rod and reel pairing/combo would be appreciated.  Preferably ones that are readily available to check out at a local tackle shop .

Cheers Kat

Hi Kat , Ive been using Live Fibre Champion Trophy 10ft 6inch Low rods and Alvey 600 A5 side cast reels loaded whiting 6 lb nylon for whiting for many years . I personally prefer the side cast option for whiting.

I use a Diawa Black Label BL 762 MLFS rod with a 2000 Stella spinning reel with 12lb braid for tossing plastics for  flathead.

regards

Neil

Hi @ellicatI don't know if it is just me but it seems to be hard to find a glass rod with plenty of whip.  What is yours and is it still available? What length is it?

Hi @AUS-BNE-FISHO yeah no point anyone trying to convert me to mono.  Started with braid and just get annoyed every time I use mono 😸.  I know mono is good for certain types of fishing and would use it where the floating line helped but only if necessary (most fishos with years of experience that I know use mono but I just can't make that leap yet).  In terms of the ugly stick thrones I have checked out don't seem very whippy to me?  Am I wrong?  I know there are lots of different types of rods from same manufacturers and each tackle shop only has certain options in stock at any one time.  And yes I am a Shimano lass - just haven't had good experiences with the Daiwa reels.  Although have never had a decent one.  The cheap ones I have been given/bought really put me off.  The drags seem so sticky and the reels have not felt as good as the Shimano.

Hi @Neil Stratford.  As I said the guys I know often use Alvey's with mono and generally really long whippy rods (one mate has had his for decades and he calls it the killer - he outfishes me easily! Bits so do most other people I fish with 🙂 These types rods are quite old and wouldn't be available now.  I am still learning so many things not sure I really want to learn how to use an Alvey but I have read that they have their advantages over spinning reels - 1.  If you accidentally dunk them in the estuary like I did last week (because I was tired and not thinking) then you don't lose your investment or at least you don't have to panic clean, rinse and stress for the next few weeks!  I seem to remember that they are also good for letting our line for timid fish?  Honestly so much to learn can't remember half of it most days 🙄.  Not sure if I can afford the live fibre you have or if it is still available? and certainly can't afford the Stella!  Although it is my dream reel and is definitely on the bucket list along with a metre long flattie lol.  

Thanks all for the suggestions so far.  Looked at a Gary Howard today but need it to fit in both the car and the boat so a two piece required but not in stock yet and I am being talked into a 9ft rather than 8ft.  So that is an option if the stock comes in on Tuesday.  Really need to pair it with something and see if it will be too heavy for me to hold and cast from the edges of an estuary or beach for hours on end.

1 hour ago, Kat said:

Hi @AUS-BNE-FISHO yeah no point anyone trying to convert me to mono.  Started with braid and just get annoyed every time I use mono 😸.  I know mono is good for certain types of fishing and would use it where the floating line helped but only if necessary (most fishos with years of experience that I know use mono but I just can't make that leap yet).  In terms of the ugly stick thrones I have checked out don't seem very whippy to me?  Am I wrong?  I know there are lots of different types of rods from same manufacturers and each tackle shop only has certain options in stock at any one time.  And yes I am a Shimano lass - just haven't had good experiences with the Daiwa reels.  Although have never had a decent one.  The cheap ones I have been given/bought really put me off.  The drags seem so sticky and the reels have not felt as good as the Shimano.

Hey Kat

Fair enough. I use a model called the Ugly Stik 'Gold'. They are 2-4KG. They are quite whippy in my opinion. I like Shimano too, especially the light spin reels. 

If you have a better rod you like than I'd use that. 

Cheers Hamish

Hey Hamish.  I don't have a better rod - that is why I am asking 🐱.  Just didn't know if I was looking at the same rod you were referring to. Probably not.  Will have a look now.  Is it an ugly stick model that is still readily available?  Or did you buy yours a while ago...?

Hey Brian - glad to know I am sort of on the right track.  Are you completely satisfied with it - or if you had your choice again would you buy a longer two piece version?  Thanks wait to hear from you when you have a look.  Wont be rod shopping again until Tuesday avo.

Cheers Kat

Gary Howard breambo 3W. 

Its a 9ft, 3 wrap glass rod that is built for whiting. Best whiting rod on the market imo. 

Another mate uses a cheaper rod that has interchangeable solid tips. It's really whipy and about 8ft long. He got it from Kmart I think. 

He also swears by baitrunner style reels for the larger elbow slapper fish.

Just incase your still looking and or haven’t decided or just not sure yet . Another good rod to check out .Atomic arrows bream surface rod has plenty of whip and is great for bait and lure fishing . It’s a 1.5-3.5kg rod and it’s perfect for whiting bream and flathead. Mine is matched up with a shimano Stradic 1000 spooled with 6lb braid . It’s 7 foot so perfect for both landbased and non landbased fishing. There are some other good rods people have mentioned on this thread but I think the arrows bream surface would make top 3 best mentioned. Especially considering if your mainly going for whiting and maybe the odd flathead and also for both landbased and non landbased . Rods over 7 foot can be a bit of a hassle on boats. The rod comes in a 1 piece and 2 piece model . Match’s 1000 size Shimano reels and daiwa 2000 size reels.

• 3 weeks later...