Bananas on boats - Good Luck or Bad Luck?

Kat

Ive taken bananas on boats many times and caught fish, have also been on other boats where the skipper is woofing into them, without any catastrophies unfolding.

Having said that, I have smashed many...many mirrors in my time, and have no qualms  about walking under ladders either, I think it’s entirely up to the individual to decide what sits best with them, and who or what to blame when things go south,

Brian, that’s some mighty fine looking worms you got there, I haven’t been able to restock my supply since panic buying became a thing, did you get them from ALDI?, haha

Apparently it was very bad luck a few centuries ago. The story goes that when the Europeans traders first arrived in the South Pacific they began transporting tropical fruits in their wooden Luggers. The bananas give off a gas and also rot quickly, and the boat’s timber hull would rot and down she goes.  It sure if they have the same effect on aluminium or fibreglass, but there you go.

6 hours ago, tugger said:

Caught plenty of fish with bananas on my boat

Yep.... Me too. 

It's a load of garbage. 

The story has been hijacked by superstition. Well I'm to poor to be superstitious. 

Old scaley is onto it. 

Fruit boat crews years ago would trade stories of fish catches when back at Port. 

It was said that all fruit transporters caught good hauls of fish except the banana boats. They had limited fish and sometimes none at all. 

It was because bananas rot quickly, so the vessel transporting the fruit would have to be at optimum speed all the time hence the crew didn't catch much along the way. 

The other boats didn't have to be so fast so they had time to fish etc, and could pull up in sheltered waters if conditions were bad. 

Not the Nana boats. They just kept going. 

Check out Andy's fishing. 

He makes a point of eating a banana an episode just to put the rumours to rest. 

13 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

If you bring bananas on my boat i will guarantee that you will not catch fish and have a quick trip back to ramp and possibly even a swim.

P1010553.JPG

P1010554.JPG

Yes I know - @ellicattold me the story about going out with you and after not catching much brought out a bag of banana lollies!

I think it was the first day I went out with @deegee12g, before I had ever heard of the Banana superstition, I was on a diet and pulled out morning tea, a 🍌.  I received an evil sideways glance and got the story.  @deegee12galso told me if it was you I would probably be thrown overboard lol.

Perhaps we need to do some blind trials. Get the miss's to either hide one in the boat or not and check results after you are back and after you know if there is a nana in the boat. Me thinks it won't make much difference 🙂
I hope this Summer and Autumn I will get to do lots of fishing from Amity. Gonna try and chase squid and whiting and crabs.