Swains reef

Kimtown

Hey guys

Heading to Swains reef 27th of October 2022. Just doing as much research as I can now.  

I’m wondering, is this a decent guide on what species to expect there for that time of year?

https://www.fishingcairns.com.au/fishing-calendar/

I know it’s Cairns but I figure the species should be somewhat similar?

if not, is there another guide / almanac out there I could read?

also, what are peoples thoughts on a Daiwa demonblood 5’6 - 6-8 paired with a Talica 12 2spd with 65lbs braid for trolling for the game species there… dog tooth, spaniards, sail fish, small marlin etc 

if anyone can give me any more valuable knowledge of the Swains that’d be awesome. Heading there with bigcatreality, looking forward to it. 

42 minutes ago, Andrew_P said:

https://easternvoyager.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Eastern-Voyager-Suggested-Fishing-Tackle.pdf

I wouldn’t use a rod under 6ft from the mothership. That’s asking for trouble. 
plenty of time to do your research. Plenty of threads on this topic in AFO

Why though?

hard angle to fight if going under the boat?

7 hours ago, tugger said:

You should see alot of coral trout, red throat emperor, spangled emperor, tuskies and hopefully some red emperor. That's on the bottom dwellers then trolling will pick up what said.

Awesome, sounds like it should be an excellent trip then with some prized table fish on offer! 

3 hours ago, Junky said:

Talica' a good reel. 

Rod is on the shorter side but will still deliver line. 

I'd be taking a big casting outfit out there. Can still troll with a big spinner. 

Yeah for sure, I’m taking an 8 foot / 14000 outfit for GT

as well as a medium casting outfit, a medium bait rig and some various other rods. 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey mate,

Love it up there. Have a great trip.

I like to go a little heavier than normal on these trips. The fish don't see too many baits and there are lots of good fish that will dump you in the coral... and plenty of sharks. 

Sharks always take the best fish... well confirmation bias proves they do haha. 

I don't mind a short rod on those boats. They help you get them off the bottom and the boats I have been have low enough gunnels to let you lean over the side. Fish brought up from a depth are pretty much done for by they get to the boat and ready for the gaff. Tuna and sometimes mackerel can be different to this as they seem to play up for longer. 

Big baits = big fish. You will likely catch a stack of hussar. cut the head off and put the hook through the lip so there is plenty of hook showing. Great for big trout and Red Emperor. Not sure if you get large mouth nannies that far south? If so, they love them too.

You will still get plenty of shark mackerel and a few Spanish. When you anchor up, ALWAYS put a pilly out under a balloon with a steel trace. 

Awesome advice mate 

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, Kimtown said:

Hey guys bit of a bump

will GT be hard to come by that time of year?

is it even worth taking a heavy popping rod?

They are always there mate. No harm taking another rod.

In the trips that I have been on i find that the boats are more focused on deeper waters for bait fishing reefies. This makes popping not really worth trying. 

2 hours ago, Kimtown said:

Any GT or Spaniards?

We weren't really there at the best time of the year for spaniards but Max nailed the only one that was caught. There were a couple of school yellowfin caught too. Plenty of GTs around the back of the boat at times. The whaler sharks were scared of them but the GTs were scared of the lemon sharks. A very high chance of any GT hooked being taxed at the top marginal rate in those circumstances. 

18 hours ago, Daryl McPhee said:

We weren't really there at the best time of the year for spaniards but Max nailed the only one that was caught. There were a couple of school yellowfin caught too. Plenty of GTs around the back of the boat at times. The whaler sharks were scared of them but the GTs were scared of the lemon sharks. A very high chance of any GT hooked being taxed at the top marginal rate in those circumstances. 

Cheers for info!

what time of year did you go?

• 8 months later...

I’ve  seen a few squid lurking around the back of the boat at night, you could throw a jig at them if you want, but for the purpose of bait gathering, the squid & pilly’s provided will catch everything you need, plenty of iodine Bream & other species available to use as flesh baits if you desire 👍