6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Ok so I know most of you think I am making my own private reef in Moreton Bay. Well its true and only the Southsiders will be told where it is. 馃檪

Great video but as I feared, the video has unfortunately shown a bit too much background and I fear those festy northside hicks will recognise Macleay and Russel Islands in the background .......聽馃. They're also no doubt wondering why us southsiders aren't clever enough to launch closer to our drop zone, rather than having to haul the oysters all the way from the Brisbane River to our southern island location ...........聽馃槅.

Australians of the year you lot. 馃憤馃徎馃憤馃徎馃憤馃徎

Thank you for what you're doing. When I retire, I will join you.聽

Are these being dropped in green zones mate?聽

Asking not for fishing but for the share farmers going in and helping themselves to your hard work.聽

I hope I am wrong but the amount of blatant theft out there in the bay is beyond comprehension.聽

8 hours ago, Junky said:

Are these being dropped in green zones mate?聽

Asking not for fishing but for the share farmers going in and helping themselves to your hard work.聽

I hope I am wrong but the amount of blatant theft out there in the bay is beyond comprehension.聽

I would like to put them in green zones but only because St Helena is a pretty awesome spot and would be great for shellfish reef restoration.聽

These ones are subtidal so there is no problem with theft.

We had 50 bags (about 300 dozen) oysters stollen from our lease last Christmas. That sucked.聽聽

Generally there are plenty of oysters out there on rocks etc if you wanted a feed so I don't really worry too much about people taking them for themselves. I hope I am right...聽

20 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

the video has unfortunately shown a bit too much background

I know we are gonna get a lot of fishers at the spot. It is a bit of a shame because we want to show (by underwater video) that they are producing a great number of fish. Taking them would reduce the numbers but I hope there will be so many and mostly juvenile that it won't matter.聽

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

Yep. They started earlier than the Moreton Bay restoration.

Stop lying Brian. I'm confident enough that we are going to beat the hapless Northsiders (again ......) that we can be honest about this one. @Jono4500, that was just a trick that @Drop Bear聽did for fun to see how many northsider's would anchor up on a barren spot and put many, many hours in waiting for snapper to appear ............聽馃ぃ.

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Stop lying Brian. I'm confident enough that we are going to beat the hapless Northsiders (again ......) that we can be honest about this one. @Jono4500, that was just a trick that @Drop Bear聽did for fun to see how many northsider's would anchor up on a barren spot and put many, many hours in waiting for snapper to appear ............聽馃ぃ.

only way you guys can win is through deception. just speaks of the southsiders true nature

16 hours ago, Jono4500 said:

There's a spot in the pumice stone passage known as the ripples, there's a buoy marked 'shellfish restoration device' or similar. Is that what's going on there as well?聽

That one went in about 3 -4 years ago. I have dived on it a fair bit. They have seen a 16x increase in fish numbers.

Pretty awesome.聽

13 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

OOPS I should have read this before I posted the misinformation in the last post. haha.聽

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Previous Member
Reply to this topic...

聽 Pasted as rich text. 聽聽Paste as plain text instead

聽 Only 75 emoji are allowed.

聽 Your link has been automatically embedded. 聽聽Display as a link instead

聽 Your previous content has been restored. 聽聽Clear editor

聽 You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest Posts

• Similar Content

• By Drop Bear
      Hey legends,
      OzFish is installing small bins to make it easier for fishers to dispose of there used line and hooks etc in the right way.聽
      We really need your help.
      Can you please let me know locations that could use them?
      These could be jetties or聽fishing platforms, boat ramps or banks. Basically anywhere people are fishing that might use them instead of dumping it in the water.聽
      Please let me know;
      Description (eg port of Brisbane boat ramp - under the bridge)
      and if you can Address (eg 1337 AFOistops Drive, Fishingheaven)
      and if you have any other information that would be fantastic.
      Thanks
      Robbie.聽
    • By Fletch01
      Hi All,
      I have been researching info about doing a trip out to Hutchinson Shoal (on a good day) and wanted to get some info on the best passage out as I hear it can be a bit sketchy at times.聽

Would appreciate following someone out or alternatively getting someone to ride along on my first run out (I鈥檒l provide the bait, boat and and everything bar the rods) just to get a feel for the lay of the land etc.聽
      Boat is a Silver Shark 580DC with a 115hp Yamaha, plan to launch from Scarborough ramp if we can get away before it turns into a parking lot. Have been reviewing the contour maps etc. and marking out the route and spots to get the lines wet in advance.聽

• By kmcrosby78
      Dusted the cobwebs off my boat (shamefully I hadn鈥檛 used it since school started back in January... 馃え) and took my Dad, brother and my two sons Liam (9) and George (6) out on Monday morning at gentleman鈥檚 hour. Launched from Manly and headed straight to the eastern side of Green Island to drift for arrow squid and cuttlefish. Had a southwesterly wind and an outgoing tide which worked well.
      Successful mission with 20 caught in total with a range of jig colours. We missed plenty with either huts that didn鈥檛 connect or they were on for most of the way but dropped off before the boat. Liam managed to snare two that dropped off but stayed within sight which was cool to see - doesn鈥檛 say much for the intelligence of cuttlefish though .... 馃. Had one jig 聽lose it鈥檚 life to a green sea toadfish, luckily only a cheap one.
      Then tried fishing but tide had turned so wind against tide which with five POB wasn鈥檛 ideal. I got one legal tuskfish, the rest all throwbacks.聽

I took Liam and George again Tuesday morning and we got another 7 so a few nice feeds for our extended family. Again tried fishing but first spot we were harassed by a huge school of striped trumpeter and when we moved we kept getting bitten clean off by probably green sea roads - grrrr!!!!
      Was great to be out on the water again and quality time spent with family. 聽Would encourage others to nab some of these tasty critters - just drift around east of Green Island 聽in 6m+ and you should find them - yum!!!
      Please login or register to view this image
    • By samsteele115
      Another day, another wrong forecast. Probably saw 1 other boat out there yesterday and I reckon it might be the weather forecaster wanting the bay to themselves by scaring everyone off with a 15-20 knot northerly forecast. It was a glass out!聽
      I fished the聽bay islands targeting snapper with my brother in the arvo which happened to be a run out tide. We got some just legals or just unders that were all released back into the 4-6m depth聽where they came from. 聽
      (only got a pic of one the day before. This 36cm is apparently the first squire caught on Gobblers Lures new paddleshad)
      We got snipped a few times also, and eventually caught the suspected culprits;聽school mackerel. All undersized though! Still fun on 6lb. The first keeper fish was a Watson's leaping bonito. I don't mind eating those things. They are nice smoked too.聽
      The bite slowed in that area and we moved on to target flathead and squid. It was awesome sightcasting the squid when we saw them, but we only got 2. Enough for dinner at least!聽
      I got 2 of the target species before calling it a day as the light faded. Man I love flathead fishing. A 45cm and 57cm were caught and kept and we had a delicious assortment for dinner 馃檪聽
      Please login or register to view this video 聽
    • By Do$tylz
      I should be sleeping but I just got sent this article from an old work colleague and its kept me up.聽
      Please login or register to view this content Just tragic news and a tragic story. My condolences to聽family and friends.
      I was out on the water today (no pics, didnt catch anything worth it) and we noticed how much activity there was from helicopters and a few police boats earlier on. I was hoping it was just training and thought "nah, can't be another accident".
      Sorry to come back (after another hiatus) with a debbie-downer post but I聽want to remind people about safety on the water. That's now 3 lives gone in a few months on the water that many of us play in.
      Lifejackets! Put them on. Especially when you are in choppy waters in the bay or when on your own. I get it, wearing the big block ones聽are聽a pain. Fine. Then go buy the slim ones. Spend $70 to save your own life. Spend another $70 and get 1 for your passenger too.
  • Latest Topics

• Popular Contributors

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Newest Clubs

• Links

• Latest Videos