First Cast and First Trevally

Kat

Thanks Guys.  I thought it was a golden Trevally? 

My brother in law made the raw fish salad from a NZ recipe I sent him.  The fish was perfect for it - I ate the leftovers today and tasted better than the stuff I paid a fortune for about a month ago.  Love catching fresh fish.

Hope to catch a few tomorrow morning before the Christmas Barbecue.

Hey @Neil Stratford, @Rick Ludd and @Terry H - not that I don't trust you guys to know what you are talking about - it is my first after all - so what do I know - but can any of you send me a link to an identification of a Brassy (Tea Leaf Trevally) - I am having trouble finding a decent one for the Brassy/Tea leaf and when Iooked them up before posting including in a a QLD fish ID poster on my bedroom wall - I could have sworn it was a golden?   

Hey Kat, does this help?

https://www.ikijime.com/fish/brassy-trevally/

https://www.ikijime.com/fish/trevally-golden/

It's important to focus on the physical features themselves rather than the skin colour. For example GTs range from white/silver through to black, goldens from fairly yellow to not at all.

I'm not doubting your 45 measurement btw!

Hi Kat , 

Just goggle what’sthatfish.com

It’s free to join up .

or Grant’s guide to fishes is a great publication to keep on a coffee table also available as an ebook.

I dare say you’d be able to get a Grants Guide to fishes on facebooks market place or Gumtree at a reasonably cheap price if you kept an eye out.

Neil

On 2/12/21 at 3:18 PM, Kat said:

With the fantastic weather we have all been having lately it isn't surprising that there have been very few fishing reports posted recently.  So thought I would give you something to read.

I have been having major fishing withdrawal symptoms.  I had an appointment on the gold coast on Monday that finished about low tide so decided I would pump some yabbies and try and find a bit of water with the least "fresh" content.  Land Based.

After seeking a friend's advice I decided to pump some yabbies at a location on the Nerang that I have not fished or pumped before.  The contours on Google maps looked promising and I headed there as fast as I could so as not to miss the low tide (cast net as a back up plan).

Well obviously my mate had not pumped yabbies there for a very long time or his memory was mistaken.  I walked the whole beach finding a very small Yabby bed and after alot of pumping and sweat running into my eyes I managed probably about 15 yabbies.  Not too bad as long as there weren't too many pickers about. 

The tide was already on its way in and as I was walking up and down the beach trying to find Yabby holes I was surveying the shallows for bait fish etc.  Every minute or so bait fish would be darting toward me, rather than away.  Seemed as if something was spooking them so I walked about 30 metres back to my rod and holder and was just threading on the first Yabby when right in front of me about five metre out there was a bust up on the surface.  I got a little excited and cast out behind the bust up.  Left the Yabby to waft around on the bottom for maybe 30 seconds and then slowly started to wind and "hop" it in toward me.  After about the third hop it was slammed and my line was peeling off the reel. Little by little I gained some line and tightened the drag.  

I have to admit that it is usually this stage where I lose the fish because the drag is tightened to quickly and the leader or knots fail or the hook pulls, but luckily this time, after a few fast runs I landed my first Trevally, 45cm and destined for sashimi or raw fish salad.

I had my trusty Nasci 2500 with 10lb braid and 10lb fluro leader and a no. 4 long baitholder hook - for whiting IMG_20211129_151523_01.thumb.jpg.f1035fff0423731b7cc358749c067fa9.jpg- he was hooked perfectly in the corner of the mouth.

Unfortunately I only landed a few smaller Bream after that but the bite was definitely on despite the huge amount of fresh water and the brackish colour of the river.

I took a pic on the beach and then a brag mat when I got to my mates place.

IMG_20211129_124858.jpg

Awesome job Kat. Trevally go pretty hard on light gear I’m sure it won’t be your last trevally on light gear . Good job!