Wall to wall salmon

tiotony

Hi Tony

That’s incredible! Those are some great fish. It must be so much fun to catch them.

Those baitfish are called frogmouth pilchards. A half frogmouth pilchard is one of my favourite salmon baits. When they are dead they are very mushy though, and they don’t stay alive well after going through the net.

Merry Christmas,

Hamish 

4 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Tony

That’s incredible! Those are some great fish. It must be so much fun to catch them.

Those baitfish are called frogmouth pilchards. A half frogmouth pilchard is one of my favourite salmon baits. When they are dead they are very mushy though, and they don’t stay alive well after going through the net.

Merry Christmas,

Hamish 

I thought they might be too, but they're very white colour rather than blue/green like frogmouth pilchards. Maybe lighter just because they are on the beach rather than estuary.

Use a whole one instead of half 😄

On 25/12/2021 at 11:27 AM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Those baitfish are called frogmouth pilchards.

Sorry Hamish, they are anchovies, also locally known as yorkies in parts of CQ. Great bait for many things, excellent dead bait on the reefs too. 

Frogmouth pilchards don’t grow as big and are much more stout - the anchovies are very skinny.

3 minutes ago, benno573 said:

Sorry Hamish, they are anchovies, also locally known as yorkies in parts of CQ. Great bait for many things, excellent dead bait on the reefs too. 

Frogmouth pilchards don’t grow as big and are much more stout - the anchovies are very skinny.

Thanks for the clarification Benno. I never knew. I had many people tell me they were frogmouth pilchards.

Cheers Hamish