Myles’s catches and questions

Mylesfisher

What is the best rod for Jack’s? Is baitcaster better than spin for jacks? What line should I use for jacks? What leader? What swivel? How long should the leader be? Sinker size? Best reel? Reel size? And what bait live or dead should i use? Also any good locations I can target in a tinny

sorry for the long list but I want my setup to be perfect

also my budget is 250$ for the rod and 400$ for the reel

cheers, Myles

• ellicat changed the title to Myles’s catches and questions
2 hours ago, Mylesfisher said:

These are the only w catches we were able to get photos of we got a 90cm gt 2 flatheads a 37cm bream and a whiting 

Nice work Myles. Sounds like you caught some good fish.

90CM is huge for a canal GT. POIDH. Lol.

If you wanted a spin combo you could get an Abu Garcia Veritas with a Shimano Stradic. Around a 4-7KG rod and 3000-4000 size reel. 20 or 30 pound braid. 30-80 pound leader depending on how big the fish are.

If you’re using lures a lot of people have success on poppers, hardbodies, and soft plastics (ie sugarpen or zman grubz). If you’re fishing with live baits you’d want to try them unweighted and on the bottom. Big livies, like mullet, are supposedly ok. A lot of the questions you are asking you will need to experiment with yourself. Sometimes fish in different areas need different rigs.

I wouldn’t buy a bait caster unless you’re exclusively using it with lures. They aren’t that much good with bait.

Cheers

Hamish