The best combo for 300$?

Mylesfisher

Hi Myles

You could use a Shimano Stradic reel, or Saragosa (although this would go over your budget). These would be capable of fishing large lures or live baits. A Shimano bait runner would suffice for bait fishing exclusively.

An Abu Garcia overhead reel and Abu Garcia VeritS would make an OK lure fishing rod. I know someone who uses this combo with success.

You could use rods such as a Shimano Raider, Atomic Arrowz Rod, or Abu Garcia Veritas (or Ugly Stik, if you plan to do only bait foshing).

Cheers Hamish 

14 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

You could use rods such as a Shimano Raider, Atomic Arrowz Rod, or Abu Garcia Veritas (or Ugly Stik, if you plan to do only bait foshing).

Cheers Hamish 

Hamish, Can anyone do that foshing or is it only for southsiders.

PLEASE EXPLAIN, You want to hope Greg doesn't see that.

On 28/12/2021 at 8:53 PM, Mylesfisher said:

Hey guys I've been looking to do some mangrove jack fishing with lures and live bait my budget is 300$ and im looking for a combo that I can trustfully cast long distances. The reel can be baitcaster or spin depending on what you think in the baitcaster vs spin argument feel free to add on what you think

Are you planning to use it in a boat or land based mate? And when you say you want it to trustfully cast long distances, roughly how far are you talking? This will have an impact on preferred rod length.

Also, as you've started this thread to seek an answer to your question, it would be preferable to not add your question to other non-related threads. If you are worried that this thread has slipped down the queue just reply to it to bump it back up the queue 🙂.

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Are you planning to use it in a boat or land based mate? And when you say you want it to trustfully cast long distances, roughly how far are you talking? This will have an impact on preferred rod length.

Also, as you've started this thread to seek an answer to your question, it would be preferable to not add your question to other non-related threads. If you are worried that this thread has slipped down the queue just reply to it to bump it back up the queue 🙂.

I think i want to cast about 20 to 40 metres across because when i dont get live bait in my cast net i flick lures for gts and jacks also is there any good combo thats on sale that has a stradic ci4 4000fb thats in my budget or a combo that has an alternate reel and rod combo and performs up to the veritas 4.0 and the stradic ci4

cheers, Myles

lol i found 3 reels i could mix with a rod for mangrove jack and trevs they are the daiwa exceler lt 4000d-c reel the daiwa legalis lt 4000d-c reel and the shimano sahara whatdo you think would work the best for mangrove jack and what rods should combo it for the budget of 300$ also feel free to add what combo recently has been great for mangrove jack 

cheers, Myles

On 29/12/21 at 12:33 PM, Angry51 said:

Hamish, Can anyone do that foshing or is it only for southsiders.

PLEASE EXPLAIN, You want to hope Greg doesn't see that.

Thanks Angry. Good to see someone checking Hamish’s work when I’m a bit lax in logging on. And you’re right. I noticed his obvious mistake straight away.

Everyone knows Ugly Sticks can be used for lures as well as bait foshing. 

Just now, Mylesfisher said:

lol would the 2500 vanguard be better than the 4000 for mangrove jack if it is please notify me as if it is then i can pair it with the zodias lol i saw people use 2500s for mangrove jack and trevs on the setup i listed in this message please inform me if its better with lighter stuff cheers, Myles

I would go the larger size if you plan to be using live bait.

You don’t need a long cast when chasing jacks, especially when off a boat. A short rod would be fine. I would only use the light rod if you plan to do only lure fishing.

The rod and reel combo you caught a 90cm trevally on would probably handle most Mangrove Jacks, if you do not want to buy a brand new combo.

Cheers Hamish 

4000 size for sure. 

Run 30lb braid. 

Get a 7ft 3kg to 7kg rod that feels good in your hands. 

Get used to fishing with tight drag, otherwise you'll get owned a fair bit, especially with the bigger models. 

Imagine you throw a bessar block off the side of a building and you have to catch it with your outfit, with minimal line being gained. 

Better fish will be caught with lures and plastics. 

On 31/12/21 at 9:15 AM, Mylesfisher said:

For my mangrove jack setup ill use a shimano vanford 4000 and a daiwa supercasta 5-10kg rod with 20lb braid as my main line and 30lb flourocarbon as my leader hope to catch some jacks today

cheers, myles

I’d stay away from the vanford as the vanford is not much different to the Stradic FL the main diffidence is that it’s lighter has a extra bearing in the handle and the price. Other than that it sounds like a great setup . Vanford is a great reel but with money in mind I think the Stradic FL would better suited without sacrificing quality. Hope that helps. And as others mentioned 30lb braid would more then likely be better 

live bait and lures mate the mangrove masher is 4-8kg will this hold up with my shimano vanford 4000 for trevs and mangrove jack ill go for jacks in a couple days but i whanna target trev as im goin out to the broadie and out to strattie ill have 30lb braid and 40lb flouro for jacks and 20lb braid and 30lb mono leader for trevs will this hold up if it doesnt i can choose the supercasta which is 5-10kg

cheers on answering, Myles

4 minutes ago, Mylesfisher said:

you can check the website https://daiwafishing.com.au/products/20-team-daiwa-black-v2-rods and go to the models and tell me what would be the best for mangrove jack and trevs out at south strattie and out at the broaddie

I think Old Scaley and Bro have answered that one.

They will both cast 20 metres with enough weight on the end of the line.

Ill probs go for the macka as it has enough length (its 7 feet) and its 5-8kg and the shimano vanford 4000 for trevs and jacks. Im going out to south strattie is there anything else thats not a trev that i can handle on my setup if there is tell me what line and leader and hooks and swivel and general gear i should target for it going camping and fishing at strattie hope to go for some other fish thats not a trev