New to bass fishing, any help needed!

Sunny boy

Hello my friends, 

I have been fishing in Brisbane river and estuaries for 2 years and wanted to try freshwater now.

Summerset dam is probably closest to get to and i may use kayak for fishing as well.

Can someone kind enough to point me to some easy start spots both land based and with a kayak.

Some advice on bait are welcomed as well!

Thanks brothers and happy new year!

Live shrimp are the go for bass bait, if you can't get those I use/buy live earthworms, nightcrawlers I think, from tackle world lawnton. From kayak I use a bait line and lure line, zerek or ecooda shrimp are my faves. 

P.s.  I've had too many good weather days on somerset made unfishable due to wakeboat and jetskis churning it up, in saying that though it is a shared waterway and they've got as much right as me to do what they do. I'm sure there's some spots to the north of dam they don't go to so maybe check that out before launching kayak. Or just go npd. Better fishing! Good luck either way 👍

12 hours ago, Jono4500 said:

Live shrimp are the go for bass bait, if you can't get those I use/buy live earthworms, nightcrawlers I think, from tackle world lawnton. From kayak I use a bait line and lure line, zerek or ecooda shrimp are my faves. 

P.s.  I've had too many good weather days on somerset made unfishable due to wakeboat and jetskis churning it up, in saying that though it is a shared waterway and they've got as much right as me to do what they do. I'm sure there's some spots to the north of dam they don't go to so maybe check that out before launching kayak. Or just go npd. Better fishing! Good luck either way 👍

Thanks Jono for the tips and yes i find it easier to get earth worms than live shrimps for baits.  For the boat traffic at summerset i probably need find the right time to avoid them, thanks again for your tips!