Deep water sounder Help

skrout

Hi everyone,

I am in need of some help with my sounder. I live in Tassie and do a lot of fishing out the shelf in anywhere from 200 - 800 meters of water. Currently we have a lowrance elite 9 ti2 sounder with the 3 in 1 transducer. Curently we can get bottom to about 300m but after that it drops out. My question is if I get a 1kw transducer, will I be able to pick up bottom and fish in deeper water even though the unit has a 600w output.

I have been looking at other sounders like the simrad s2009 and getting a 1 kw transducer or the lowrance fs 9 which is the upgrade to the ti2. I know you can spend a lot of money and get modules etc but my budget at the moment is around the $3000-$3500.

Any help or recommendations on the sounders you use is much appreciated.

Cheers Skrout

A mate put a 1KW transducer on his big Furuno but the range was only to 800 metres.  No good at all over the shelf when charts said the bottom was 2km down!  You will get better talking to the pros in your region.

Or arrange a test trial of a transducer.  The pro's suppliers must do such tests to win sales...

you can also try ringing Lowrance/Simrad...