Brisbane river lure fishing how to? (landbased)

charlie.hans.fishing

Hey there, have some questions about lure fishing the brisbane river. I'd like to fish for bream in particular. 

I would like to know some lure suggestions, and retrieve suggestions for lure fishing in and around the brisbane river area. 

Recently i have caught a little bream on a grub tail soft plastic with a 1/8th jighead, and wanted to know if this same lure type as well as other soft plastic variations would work well in the river? 

What size soft plastics? What colours? What brands? 

I've heard ecogear aqua prawn imitations are great for breambos in the river, in lighter colours that show up well such as salt and pepper, white, etc. 

I have both deep and shallow diving hardbodies and some crankbaits and would like to know if these  are suitable for the river also? They are definitely not the most natural colour for the river but i think they would work ok due to the muddiness of the water? Trying to match the hatch seems to be difficult without much advice in terms of size - these hardbodies i have range from 40mm to 70mm. 

Videos on youtube suggest using smaller chubbies and little crankbaits with sandy prawn like colours for bream. 

Retrieves: 

For hardbodies it seems a slow roll with a low rod tip is a good strategy around structure and is hard to go wrong with, is this true?

Also, are little twitches, pauses, and rolls ideal with soft plastics?

Thanks and much appreciated, Charlie. 

Hi Charlie 

You are far more likely to encounter bream on the river using hardbodies around rock bars. Any small chubby lure will work.

Plastics are best for fishing for flatties and larger fish , as opposed to brram, as bream often hold on structure where plastics will get snagged.

Cheers Hamish