Flopper

4 hours ago, Flopper said:

I recently reloaded my reels with 6lb braid and bought some 10lb leader all has been good until this week 

I tried to rerig yesterday & every time I tied my leader on it broke when I pulled it tight.

I have been using a double uni knot

Am I pulling too hard or has my leader had it it's only about 3 months old

is the braid breaking or the leader or the knot or is it slipping? 

It could just be like ellicat said you are putting too much friction on the knot as you pull it tight and its heating up. 6lb braid is pretty strong. For that light stuff I would only use a uni to uni as I don't like tying an FG. I can barely see it as it is haha.  

On 12/1/22 at 9:47 AM, Flopper said:

Threw my new glasses away got out my old specs .

Used  a bit of Moisture 

Problem solved 

Thanks for the input

If you have any issues with the double uni i highly recommend trying out alberto knot variations or FG knot variations but double uni should be good I’ve just found certain braids don’t like it 

16 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

The Alberto I tie is just as strong as the FG the normal Alberto sucks I use a variation. I’ve tested it myself and the FG and the Alberto variation Is pretty much the same in terms of strength

Nice one mate. I would like to know that one. Do you have a link? I find the FG takes too long on light line so I only use it on heavier line and want an alternative to the uni to uni. 

42 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate. I would like to know that one. Do you have a link? I find the FG takes too long on light line so I only use it on heavier line and want an alternative to the uni to uni. 

Yeah sure . Before I was using just the standard Alberto and I kept Experiencing issues with it. Such as if I got snagged and absolutely needed to snap the line and was using 6 braid and 6lb leader the knot would snap and I’d have to tie a new leader . Now 95 percent of time when the same thing happens even with heavier leader the. The line will snap not far from the end of the rig and I’ll still have plenty of leader left . I use this Alberto variation for all my light tackle stuff but for my heavier gear I use the FG. It’s only a small adjustment to the standard Alberto but man it makes a massive difference of the strength in the knot 

• 3 weeks later...

2 rod lengths. 

Can't beat the FG imo. 

The problem I've found with the knot on the Spool when casting is it will pick up a lower layer and end in a birds nest.

That gets old real soon. 

Some days I don't bother with leader at all, particularly bottom bashing and floating when the bite is on. 

Still catch good fish this way.