3 weeks in paradise - Moreton Isl 07.12 - 27.12

benno573

21 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Nice videos Benno, what part of Morton Island is the camp site in? Are the rocks where you were fishing far from it? Thinking about going over for a quick camping trip with the missus.

Where the red dots are.

NE corner of the island -

Capture1.JPG.1f0c0dde0a3c7c32100dcee497da823d.JPG

Closeup of camping area and rock fishing spot. There is plenty of beach fishing straight out from the camping area or anywhere along the eastern beach (except for the green zone.)

Capture.thumb.JPG.d40b0285c71d332b1591fc96f5537ab8.JPG

47 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Nice videos Benno, what part of Morton Island is the camp site in? Are the rocks where you were fishing far from it? Thinking about going over for a quick camping trip with the missus.

hey mate, 

We camp at the north point campground, lot less admin when you have a drinkable water readily available and a dunny as well.

from where we camp, you can walk to the rocks at north point which fish ok sometimes, especially on first light spinning for tailor.  you will get dart, bream, trevally etc here but it is not an easy place to fish in any kind of swell.  by far the best rock spots are accessed from the far northern end of the eastern beach which is called cape cliff.  about a 5 min drive from the campground and then a 10 min walk up the rocks (20-25 min for @ellicat).  there's a few goat tracks through up there to take you to the good spots.  usually quite reliable for dart and bream, also get assorted trevally, tailor, tarwhine and the occassional spango, kingie, mulloway, snapper, stripie, moses perch, mackerel, bonito, tuna, gold spot sweetlips (spotted hind) and drummer.  Have seen a bonefish caught here as well.  I usually take some pippies and fresh flesh baits (butter bream work great for this and you usually catch a couple on the pippies) and a few different sized metals to throw around.

you do need to show proof of vax to get to moreton though.

34 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Thanks Brian, unfortunately, just found out that the Co-Vid restrictions of visiting Fraser will rule us out of going there, I think the same for Stradbroke, will just have to find another place to visit.

Cheers

Ed.

Hey Ed,

I'm looking for covid advice for Straddie. Do you have a link you could share? 

4 hours ago, Ed. said:

Try this link:

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/covid-19

it should be half way down the page.

I just rang Sealink, you don't have to be vaccinated to go to Straddie but you do if you want to camp there or enter any of the Sealink cafe's

Cheers

Ed

Thanks mate. 

I have 2 vax but missed out on getting the 3rd last Thursday due to my wife (and probably me) getting covid...

I will need to put it off for a week now. Oh well... more time for drinking I suppose haha. 

Hope yourself and Bec don't have it too bad with the symptoms @Drop Bear - all the best for the move over. 

@benno573 - awesome report, awesome highlights, some awesome/consistently reliable fishing and some awesome photos (you have quite the knack 🙂) - all round just AWESOME!!!!  Really makes me want to get over there. Must have been a tad nervous about your fingers when grabbing the giant sandie? The manta ray experience would have been fantastic - people would pay very good money to experience that 🙂.

On 14/01/2022 at 3:16 PM, Sunny boy said:

3 weeks of castaway! What a feeling!

Any Inconvenience???

the only major inconvenience was having to come home at the end of it!

it's a fairly isolated spot with minimal amenities so as long as you prepare accordingly it is no issue.  @ellicat did very well with the shopping list he was given to resupply us.

On 14/01/2022 at 8:58 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

@benno573 - awesome report, awesome highlights, some awesome/consistently reliable fishing and some awesome photos (you have quite the knack 🙂) - all round just AWESOME!!!!  Really makes me want to get over there. Must have been a tad nervous about your fingers when grabbing the giant sandie? The manta ray experience would have been fantastic - people would pay very good money to experience that 🙂.

Thanks mate - stop thinking about it and just do it!

i cheated a little with the sandie - i herded him into the shallows and then pinned him with the SUP paddle which made picking him up a bit easier.  i quite often see mantas when i fish that area on the yak but have never had one attempt "netflix and chill" with me.

Looked like an epic trip. I was over there 20 and 24 December as a late decision to go camping. Lucked out on the weather as rain mostly stayed away aside from the occasional short shower.

The plus also was that it wasn't too busy either. The MICAT Ferry to and from Moreton does get expensive during holiday periods.

I camped on the Eastern Beach, Pippies and Dart were plentiful but no horses close to your PB dart.

Comparing Beach/Island camping, which would be your pick?

Fraser, Straddie, Moreton, Bribie, Double Island