Gelly

22 minutes ago, Gelly said:

Hi, I am heading to tin can bay and staying in the villas in coming weeks. I have a 6mtr glass boat and was wondering if I could get some ideas on fishing spots as this is our first time. My girls like getting out catching a fish or 2.

has any one got any advice 

thanks 

Nice one mate. Are you going offshore or staying in the estuary? 

A lot of boat for the estuary so assuming offshore but wanted to check. 

There’s a lot of ground up there for estuary type fishing. Yabbies aren’t hard to find and lots of areas for bread n butter species like whiting, bream, flathead etc. Closer to the wide bay bar you can also find pelagics at this time of year - school or spotty Macks will often come inside the bar if the bait is thick. Not sure how recent weather may have affected water quality for this though.

We go up to Tin Can Bay each year. We have found the fishing to be a bit hit and miss, even in the passage between Inskip Point and the bottom end of Fraser. We go around April each year though so you may do well this time of year. Not sure.  You can easily reach the inside of Fraser but the channel I just mentioned can chop up pretty bad depending on the wind. There are a few ledges that hold fish around the inside of Fraser.

1 hour ago, Gelly said:

Thanks Greg, its certainly looks like a great place to fish, just hard to find information.

Depending on wind i will take a look at the inside of Fraser.

Great crabbing. 

If you are up for a night fish, just soak some yabbies over the yabby banks on the incoming tide at night and you will be sure to get a feed of whiting. Plenty of flathead on the banks as well. This will also work in the day. 

If you get some live baits you can soak these on any snag, especially at night for Jack, Grunter and Bream. 

The bar can be nasty so only attempt this if you know what you are doing and get some local knowledge. There are plenty of good grounds out there and pelagics will be on as well as the benthic reefies. 

Don't forget the spray as the midges can pick you up some times. 

I hope you have a great trip. 

• 2 weeks later...