mangrove jack surface lures

Mylesfisher

hey guys its me myles ive been watching my friend fishing off landbased for the past few days he caught a 58cm queenfish and a small mangrove jack im getting my own setup a macka daiwa td 20 black and a vanford 4000 im going to use 20lb daiwa j grand braid and fc rock 30lb should i upgrade the leader? im getting the mmd splash prawn what colours do you reccomend? also what size splashie for jacks? im also getting the sugapen what size is good for jacks? what colour is good for jacks? also what assist hooks do you put on these lures also is there any good surface lures specifically for jacks also any good spots to tackle landbased on the gold coast sorry for dragging on this comment but i want some tips as im a newbie to surface lures and would love to catch a jack on them cheers, Myles

Gee, sorry I don't know the full answer, but it would seem sensible that if he has caught a jack and a queenfish on a particular lure that he should keep using that lure. I'd be trying something in the 120mm range - two sets of trebles - no need for assist hooks.

As for colours, it depends on water clarity and the day. Try getting a purple one and also a lumo green with markings.

Maybe try a Zerek fish trap 110mm in green and pink. My mate got some fish on that today. Outfished me 3 to 1.

1 hour ago, Mylesfisher said:

hey guys its me myles ive been watching my friend fishing off landbased for the past few days he caught a 58cm queenfish and a small mangrove jack im getting my own setup a macka daiwa td 20 black and a vanford 4000 im going to use 20lb daiwa j grand braid and fc rock 30lb should i upgrade the leader? im getting the mmd splash prawn what colours do you reccomend? also what size splashie for jacks? im also getting the sugapen what size is good for jacks? what colour is good for jacks? also what assist hooks do you put on these lures also is there any good surface lures specifically for jacks also any good spots to tackle landbased on the gold coast sorry for dragging on this comment but i want some tips as im a newbie to surface lures and would love to catch a jack on them cheers, Myles

Hi Myles

Your leader sounds good, although you could go slightly heavier. 

I am not sure what colour people use for jacks, but I know the new range in the 120mm size is popular for larger trevally and jacks. I see a lot of fish coming off gold, purple, and pink lures. Like ellicat said assist hooks aren't necessary, and MMD lures come with trebles already.

Holt Production Swim Prawns are also popular lures for mangrove jacks if you're looking for plastics. 

Any rock bar or type of structure will hold jacks. You just need to cast a lot. 

Cheers Hamish