Who's Watching the Tennis?

AUS-BNE-FISHO

11 hours ago, Angry51 said:

Noooooo!!! please Noooooo!!!

10 hours ago, ellicat said:

I'm not a fan, but I'm sure there are a few who follow along, Hamish.

Angry doesn't seem to be one of them. Haha

No. Definitely not 🤣.

10 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Love the tennis @AUS-BNE-FISHO. Would love to see Diminaur or Kyrgios do well, but I think it will be Medvedev or Nadal in the men’s, and Barty or Osaka in the women’s. I like the Frenchman Hubert as well.

I agree with you Steve - I really hope Ash Barty wins this grand slam though!

4 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

good to see Stosur advance and Kyrgios doing trick shots.

It was a great game to be watching Ray.

Cheers Hamish

On 18/01/2022 at 8:54 PM, Old Scaley said:

Love the tennis @AUS-BNE-FISHO. Would love to see Diminaur or Kyrgios do well, but I think it will be Medvedev or Nadal in the men’s, and Barty or Osaka in the women’s. I like the Frenchman Hubert as well.

I'd say you are spot on with your predictions. They would be my picks to watch. I'd add Tsitsipas on the Men's draw as one to watch and Raducanu (US opens womens champ).

I want the aussies to do well but of Dimnaur, Kyrgios or Barty. I'd only give Barty a chance of actually taking the title out

Dimnaur is all effort and desire - He lacks the true xfactor / talent to blow someone off the court.

Kyrios is the opposite all the talent to win (has beaten Nadal, Djokivic and Federer) but the desire / drive / consistency is not there

Barty has the game / mentality to win. Her serve is a weak point (if you can call it that) as its not as dominate a serve to get free points. When her serve is on it gets the free points, but if she is off a bit here she has to work for her points (which she is good at).

Yep, I'm a tennis fan (was the main sport I played growing up). Obviously going for Barty. Drawn to play Osaka in the fourth round (not that her 3rd round match is a gimme ...) so could be interesting. Have liked what I've seen of Badosa also.

Medvedev and Tsitsipas the obvious choices in the mens. Haven't checked the draw to see if they can meet in the final but would be a good match and they don't get along, which could add spice ......  Agree with @Hweebe about Diminaur - can't see him winning it but hopefully he goes deep.

As always I also look out for 'talent' in the women's draw and have spotted some ..... unfortunately Ash plays once (Giorgi) tomorrow ........... 🙃

If you didn’t enjoy the Kyrgios v Medvedev game tonight, you really should never watch tennis. Amazing to think that a guy who - is ranked outside the top 100, has no coach, hasn’t played since September, is recovering from Covid, has a fragile psyche - could give us such an entertaining game against the world number 2. Great match.

14 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

If you didn’t enjoy the Kyrgios v Medvedev game tonight, you really should never watch tennis. Amazing to think that a guy who - is ranked outside the top 100, has no coach, hasn’t played since September, is recovering from Covid, has a fragile psyche - could give us such an entertaining game against the world number 2. Great match.

Yep, he gave him a good scare and yes, was very entertaining. Surprised Medvedev spoke to the crowd the way he did - he was correct, but won't help them like him/behave at his next match .........

Also, forgot to add earlier that Barty's serve seems to have improved further this season. Fingers crossed.

6 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Do you reckon the crowds at the Open are getting worse? Back in the day, the players always commented on how knowledgeable and fair the Australian fans were. Now it seems that there is a huge bogan element who think they are at the local footy ground. A bit disappointing.

I think a bit of it is because Kyrgios does encourage the crowd, or the crowd knows that they may get a reaction (adding to the entertainment).

Kyrgios has always said Basketball was is first love and preferred sport he just wasn't good at it and landed in Tennis instead. At the moment his passion to entertain outweighs his passion to play tennis/win.

45 minutes ago, Mylesfisher said:

anybody watched king richard 

No, had to Google that one but then realised one of my brothers had mentioned it. Has good ratings - what did you think of it? I was only recalling with my brothers a few days ago how, when Venus won what I am assuming was her first grand slam tournament (1998 Aus Open) and Richard (their Dad), when interviewed, said she had an even better one at home ........ Many would have thought he was crazy, but history would argue that point ........... 🙂. Will have to watch it.

On 21/01/2022 at 8:38 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

...... does everyone have a new favourite female Italian player .......... 😍.

Nah. I don't have favourites, I enjoy the form of all the female players.... from the way they gently hold and massage the 2 balls in one hand to select one, the stretch for the power serve, and the following grunts.... for some reason, the men's side of it just doesn't hold the same interest for me...

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't watch tennis but have an interest in playing indoor table tennis. Is anybody here who is a good tennis player?
I'm a shakehand player, almost totally self-taught except for YouTube videos and the advice I get from the goodhearted people at this site. I'm thinking that a pre-assembled bat would be good. I'm thinking about the beginner combo from Cole's Table Tennis, or the Eastfield Allrounder off of Amazon. I'd like to ask a community that doesn't have a financial interest in plugging any given product though before I make a decision, so I came here.