G'day from the gold coast

Mick GC

Welcome to the forum Mick!  Look forward to seeing any offshore Mackerel reports.

I plan on chasing them the next chance I get in my newish - first boat too.  Three trips offshore so far - the third was aborted due to the oil light coming on before reaching our first spot.  Haven't chased mackerel in my boat yet but hopefully in about three weeks when the boat is back on the water.

Mermaid and Palm beach reefs seem to be the spot offshore from the gold coast.  Been there a couple of times with another AFO member.

Good luck.

Cheers Kat

Welcome Mick.

If you are new to offshore, make sure you pick your days as it can be dangerous. Assuming you will be crossing the Seaway, and if so be aware of deadmans bank straight out from the northern wall - waves break there regularly on a good swell. Also, try to pick your tides - run out on a good swell creates some nasty waves.

As far as fishing goes, perfect time now till March to chase Mackerel. You can fish Palmy and Mermaid reef (as Kat said) as they are not very far out - although they can be busy on the weekends. 12 and 17 fathom reefs off Southport also get a few. Dollies are wider out.

Don't forget your safety gear if going offshore - flares, jackets etc and an epirb if more than 2 nautical miles off shore.

Good luck

Cheers Marty

yep, new to offshore and will go out the seaway. I Have a good mate who spends a fair bit of time out there, will get him to come out the first time, and definatly waiting for the best weather/tides.

All those spots sound good!

I bought new Flares when i got the boat, still need to get a new EPIRB. I have life jackets on the boat but also looking at one of the inflating ones to wear full time

1 minute ago, ellicat said:

O was listening to Doug Bert the other day. He was saying there's Jacks to be caught at the North wall in close. Might be a chance today as just before a thunderstorm is supposed to be prime time for them....just not a good time to be in a boat.

Might shoot around there and have a try

Cheers mate

16 hours ago, ellicat said:

Nothing wrong with the trusty squid and pillie.

I not much help as I don't fish the Seaway. Maybe @AUS-BNE-FISHO can give some insights - I know he's fished it with a guide a few of times. Also,@Kat might be able to assist with places to get live bait (Jacks love live bait).

Do you have a castnet ?

Hey Mick

I have fished the Seaway a few times, mainly early mornings in Winter.

We would start out by netting live herring in the canals near the Runaway Bay Boat Ramp. It is imperative to fish with good livies, opposed to dead bait. As well as herring, bony bream, biddies, and haddyheads were also used.

We would then motor to the Seaway and fish on the left hand side (when leaving the seaway). Ideally, you will remain around 15m from the rocks with the motor still on, or electric motor. Try and stay in the same spot as much as possible.

Jew, trevally, big bream, cod, reef fish, and the occasional jacks were possible here, though I only ever caught trevally, Jew, and bream.

Fish with a sinker big enough to hold on the bottom, a light gauge circle hook, and about a metre of 20 pound trace. Good luck!

Cheers Hamish

So yeah I would try locate some live bait from where you launch from shore via Castnet.  Try some berley even if it is just chicken pellets/bread/tuna oil etc - disperse a little at a time for 10 min or so then cast away!  Depending on where you should get some great bait sized winter whiting, garfish, herring etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2022 at 6:26 AM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Nice work. It's always a bit of fun to get a little bully. 

How heavy did you fish to land him?

Cheers Hamish

Thanks Hamish,

Got him on 40lb mono, was on a Shimano beastmaster TLD25 combo and a pre-made wire trace and 6.0 circle hook (80lb I think)

Was an easy fight but I think I was pretty over geared for him