baitcasterz for jacks

Mylesfisher

Hey guys its me myles ive realised after a few weeks of live bait fishing that i generally catch more jacks on lures so id like to buy a baitcaster for jacks and trevs i saw my lure box use a shimano curador 200 for skip casting but generally most peoples choices in rods and reels vary would any of you reccomend a baitcaster rod and reel for jacks and trevally

16 hours ago, Mylesfisher said:

Hey guys its me myles ive realised after a few weeks of live bait fishing that i generally catch more jacks on lures so id like to buy a baitcaster for jacks and trevs i saw my lure box use a shimano curador 200 for skip casting but generally most peoples choices in rods and reels vary would any of you reccomend a baitcaster rod and reel for jacks and trevally

In my opinion baitcasters aren’t necessary for jack/trevally fishing even when casting is tricky. Personally I’ve found if you practice enough you can get just as much casting accuracy with a spinning setup you can also do skip casting with a spinning setup it’s just harder to learn. For me accurate casting near mangroves and snags is second nature with a spinning setup . It did take a lot of time and practice on the water but it was worth it for me anyway the cons of using a bait caster to in that situation is generally the drag system on baitcasting reels isn’t as good as spinning reels/overheads 

not saying bait casting setups are a waste of time they are definitely useful and have their time and place I just think for jack and trevally fishing you don’t need another setup for them if you already have a medium weight lure fishing spinning setup 

On 19/01/2022 at 6:56 PM, Mylesfisher said:

I used exclusively a bait caster for chasing jacks and trevally what i used to fish gold coast canals at night. Bait casters definitely take practise, but pretty rewarding once you get the hang of it and being able to land a lure on a dime.

For me the ability to thumb the spool allows to to finesse exactly where the lure lands. Or if you have been over eager you can quickly thumb the spool to stop an over throw.

In saying there my setup for canal fishing was always one spin and one baitcaster.

You will want a decent rod to skull drag a jack or trev though.

I finally got my rod lol its a vanford 4000 on a daiwa td 20 black with daiwa j grand 20lb braid and some japanese flourocarbon 30lb with a 95 mm splash prawn it has been smashed against bridge pylons and i got it 3 days ago will this affect my catch rates? ive gotten no bites yet but ive only flicked when i practised im looking for a spot on the gold coast to flick the mmd splashie (btw the bib isnt chipped only the nose of the shrimp is and it the body has scratches) also is the flouro good lookin to learn how to use the mmd got any videos? im going to lake orr tomorrow morning with my mate hopefully i can hook a jack this season cheers, Myles

WIN_20220121_20_47_53_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220121_20_48_07_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220121_20_48_19_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220121_20_49_06_Pro.jpg

Hi Myles

Judging by other threads you have posted, you seem to be wanting a longer cast. You will not achieve this with the same level of ease or to the same degree in general using a baitcaster, opposed to a spin reel. 

Your new combo sounds good for jacks. If you start flicking it around early morning, late afternoon, and at night with that surface lure, you will have a good chance at a jack or trevally. You will find that bite rates are not the same on surface in sunlight hours, mainly because bait isn't busting up as much. 

Good luck,

Cheers Hamish

22 minutes ago, Mylesfisher said:

it says reel and flick should i do this slowly? also im using harros loop knot for the splash prawn and a slim beauty knot for braid to flouro is this good?

Mate, there are a number of ways to work any given lure, the real trick is working out (for yourself) which retrieval gets the fish, there is no substitute for time spent actually fishing.

As for knots, that is entirely personal preference, the best knot is the one you can tie easily, and have enough confidence that it will do the job, again, there’s no substitute for time spent trying all sorts of different knots out, to see what works best for you.

Im looking forward to seeing some results of all your hard work, best of luck.

The jacks haven’t been around recently we chucked a g splash and a splash prawn and got nothing for 4 days no bites so we are going for big flatties my mate got on a 1.13m one but it snapped him off we use 30lb for Em but next after Australia Day we’ll go for snapper at wavebreak I’m using 20lb braid 20kg swivels and 30lb fc rock and 4/0s do I need a divider between sinker and swivel and are my swivels the right size also what bait should I use? Cheers, Myles

1 hour ago, Mylesfisher said:

The jacks haven’t been around recently we chucked a g splash and a splash prawn and got nothing for 4 days no bites so we are going for big flatties my mate got on a 1.13m one but it snapped him off we use 30lb for Em but next after Australia Day we’ll go for snapper at wavebreak I’m using 20lb braid 20kg swivels and 30lb fc rock and 4/0s do I need a divider between sinker and swivel and are my swivels the right size also what bait should I use? Cheers, Myles

I’d use a small bead between the sinker and swivel but really it’s not necessary and you can get away without using one fine. And yeah swivels sounds fine and I’d use freshly caught mullet or whiting as bait I’ve found with the only few jacks I’ve caught freshly caught bait worked better then servo Baits. I would cast right up against the mangroves and it seemed to work well the only issue I had was it was very tricky pulling them away from snags and structures in the water. Estuary cod and queenfish were very common by catch 

On 25/1/22 at 10:26 PM, Mylesfisher said:

matewhat bait should i use for snapper?

Personally I’ve never caught big snapper before but I’d imagine using freshly caught baits such as white bait garfish or yellow tail would work alright. This sounds like a question for @Junky @Cobiaaddict  @ellicatand some others who have good experience with snapper . Can’t remember all the snapper fishos on AFO but there’s a fair few

what i use to do 9 years ago when i was 5 or 6 i use to cut the head off of fresh squid and put a whole pilchard in the hood, have a sliding sinker and a sliding hook with one tied at the bottom, for big snapper it was great. (that was in New Zealand not sure how it will work here.)

Edit: Sorry did not see the same thing above

Edited by Tuna are fish