Is a Baitrunner Really Worth It?

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

Well it's come to my attention that my Penn Spinfisher 650 SSM has seen better days. After a screw fell out of the bail arm, parts were lost, and a piece of biro has been used as a spacer (between some long screw cap I found in my laundry and the side of the bail arm) to ensure the bail arm stays tight (this snapped as well recently and I've been using pieces of twigs I've scavenged off jetties for the spacer), I've decided that it was a well spent $90 6 years ago.

My question is, is a baitrunner really worth it? Over many years, I'm very used to just having my drag set loosely and tightening it when a fish takes the bait (or holding my rod, occasionally). The model baitrunner I'm looking at is the Penn Liveliner SSVI - 

https://www.dinga.com.au/products/penn-spinfisher-ssvi-live-liner-spinning-reels-new-2018

Which has carbon fiber drag washers, 5+1 stainless steel ball bearings, puts off between 9-13.5KG of drag (excessive for any thready/jewie, maybe not a large shark though), retrieves around a metre of line per full crank, and has a full metal body. 

The model I am thinking of choosing would either be the 4500 or 6500 size, which retails somewhere between $192-$215 (pricy!). 

The second option, which is just a Penn Spinfisher SSM 650, is the normal spinning reel I'm looking at - 

https://www.dinga.com.au/products/penn-spinfisher-ssm-heavy-duty-saltwater-spinning-reels-840

This reel only puts off a mere 4.5KG of drag (to be honest, I've still found this plenty for all fish I've caught in the river), 5 stainless steel ball bearings (and one anti reverse one), retrieves around 90CM of line per crank, is fully metal, but only HT 100 drag washers (fibreglass sheet on carbon fibre). 

So, to my main question - is the baitrunner really worth it? It will be used for at least the next five years, mainly chasing Brisbane River grunter, threadies, jew, squire, sharks, and flatties. I will be using it predominately for live bait fishing, occasionally using strip baits or dead baits. What's everyone's opinion?

Oh, and the rod it will be paired with will be a Rogue Firepoint Boat Rod, 5-8KG, 6"6'. This rod has sufficed well over the last 5 years, and I'm hoping it will last for that long again. For the record, the original combo cost me $125.00 from BCF - and has lasted over 6 years. So great value for money.

Thanks for any advice, and apologies for the long topic.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

3 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi all

Well it's come to my attention that my Penn Spinfisher 650 SSM has seen better days. After a screw fell out of the bail arm, parts were lost, and a piece of biro has been used as a spacer (between some long screw cap I found in my laundry and the side of the bail arm) to ensure the bail arm stays tight (this snapped as well recently and I've been using pieces of twigs I've scavenged off jetties for the spacer), I've decided that it was a well spent $90 6 years ago.

My question is, is a baitrunner really worth it? Over many years, I'm very used to just having my drag set loosely and tightening it when a fish takes the bait (or holding my rod, occasionally). The model baitrunner I'm looking at is the Penn Liveliner SSVI - 

https://www.dinga.com.au/products/penn-spinfisher-ssvi-live-liner-spinning-reels-new-2018

Which has carbon fiber drag washers, 5+1 stainless steel ball bearings, puts off between 9-13.5KG of drag (excessive for any thready/jewie, maybe not a large shark though), retrieves around a metre of line per full crank, and has a full metal body. 

The model I am thinking of choosing would either be the 4500 or 6500 size, which retails somewhere between $192-$215 (pricy!). 

The second option, which is just a Penn Spinfisher SSM 650, is the normal spinning reel I'm looking at - 

https://www.dinga.com.au/products/penn-spinfisher-ssm-heavy-duty-saltwater-spinning-reels-840

This reel only puts off a mere 4.5KG of drag (to be honest, I've still found this plenty for all fish I've caught in the river), 5 stainless steel ball bearings (and one anti reverse one), retrieves around 90CM of line per crank, is fully metal, but only HT 100 drag washers (fibreglass sheet on carbon fibre). 

So, to my main question - is the baitrunner really worth it? It will be used for at least the next five years, mainly chasing Brisbane River grunter, threadies, jew, squire, sharks, and flatties. I will be using it predominately for live bait fishing, occasionally using strip baits or dead baits. What's everyone's opinion?

Oh, and the rod it will be paired with will be a Rogue Firepoint Boat Rod, 5-8KG, 6"6'. This rod has sufficed well over the last 5 years, and I'm hoping it will last for that long again. For the record, the original combo cost me $125.00 from BCF - and has lasted over 6 years. So great value for money.

Thanks for any advice, and apologies for the long topic.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Baitrunners definitely have their time and place and in your situation it would suit well. But like @Kat mentioned it is easier to get busted off when using them near heavy structure. I’ve always just used standard spinning reels for bait fishing with loose drag and it has worked fine.when I get a run I flip the bail arm over so the line can go out freely while I tighted up the drag then when the drag is tight enough I flip the bail arm back over and then I’m on. I would suggest save your money and just get a spinfisher again if you wanted a higher quality spinning reel you could go with a daiwa legalis or shimano nasci but I think the penn would do the job just as well as it did before. No need to buy anything fancy .

hope that helps 😀

The Penn Spinfisher Liveliners are a little bit heavier than the standard version and they are pretty well sealed against salt water ingress,  you don't have to use the liveliner function if you don't want to, and in which case you can just use it the same as a standard reel. I also have 5 of them, 2 x 2500, 1x 4500, 1x 6500, 1x 8500 and obviously prefer them to the standard reels. Just my opinion though, go to a store and try one out. The Penn Spinfishers have a tiny bit more resistance turning the handle compared to some other brands because of all the seals, but I quite like the feel, very good drags and they aren't as flimsy like some other brands in the same size.🙂

They are also a few steps up in the model range compared to the SSM models hence the dearer price. The Spinfishers also are also available in a non liveliner version too.

One thing though is, that if you want to buy a Penn neoprene reel cover for the Liveliner models then you will need the next size up. ie; 2500 and 4500 will require the "large" cover.

22 hours ago, Kat said:

Hey Hamish.  I was given a fairly hefty good quality Shimano Baitrunner - older model but great quality (as many older things are lol).  To be honest I have barely used it. Mainly because I don't really know what the advantages are - as you say if you want to you can set your drag light.  I would be interested to learn from other more experienced members (that would be almost everyone), what the advantages are and when they would use a baitrunner.  I actually prefer to hold my rod as much as I can when fishing unless I am live baiting.  Also found that if you are chasing fish such as Snapper near reefs by the time you get to the rod and "flick the switch" you are more than likely reefed already.  Can't wait to see the replies as I am bored and haven't fished for almost two weeks😭

Cheers Kat

Thanks Kat. I rarely hold my rod when fishing live baiting to be honest - or even dead baiting. I find most fish I hook tend to run away from structure, and only start running in there when I pull them towards it. I guess that's different on a boat though.

19 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Baitrunners definitely have their time and place and in your situation it would suit well. But like @Kat mentioned it is easier to get busted off when using them near heavy structure. I’ve always just used standard spinning reels for bait fishing with loose drag and it has worked fine.when I get a run I flip the bail arm over so the line can go out freely while I tighted up the drag then when the drag is tight enough I flip the bail arm back over and then I’m on. I would suggest save your money and just get a spinfisher again if you wanted a higher quality spinning reel you could go with a daiwa legalis or shimano nasci but I think the penn would do the job just as well as it did before. No need to buy anything fancy .

hope that helps 😀

Thanks Bro. I don't think I will end up buying a high (er) end spinning reel.

18 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Hi Hamish. I have Shimano Baitrunner 8000 D that I pair up with either an Ugly Stick or an old Silstar Crystal Tip Rod, 25lb braid. Next time I respool it I might use mono because I use it for baitfishing or livie fishing only. I don’t think I would want to be casting and retrieving with that set up for too long, but I do like it for non-lure fishing. The advantage that I see is you can set your main drag correctly and adjust the light drag to suit the area and the fish target. Unless you are fishing fairly heavy line, adjusting your drag on the run can be problematic. So if you are only going to use it for bait or livie fishing, I would recommend going with the baitrunner style reel. Or just cash in more bottles and buy them both. 😀

Hey Steve

Thanks for the tips.

Oh yeah, and I may be able to stop cashing in bottles. I've just written up a resume to try and get a job at Woolies (although I'm not sure if they will employ me until I'm older - legally I can be employed at 13 though I think I need to be older for woolies). 

17 hours ago, ellicat said:

Today I was looking at some reels that I haven't used in a long time. I thought what can I do with this 6000 size Shimano Baitrunner. Then I read this thread and it is obvious.

Hamish, you can have mine for free to try out and if you like it then all is good. If you don't - give it to someone else. It won't be as flash as a new reel of course. It has 50lb braid on it I think, but you would need to change that as it is well past its use by date (probably 15 years old).

Hi Brian

Thanks for the kind offer! I think I will take you up on it! Sounds like it will be a great reel.

Also, thanks for the other tips relating to baitrunners.

13 hours ago, Cobiaaddict said:

YES, I have 5, swear by them, the amount of fish they have accounted for in the bay fishing for snapper is countless

Thanks @Cobiaaddict, sounds like you love them!

3 hours ago, Ed. said:

The Penn Spinfisher Liveliners are a little bit heavier than the standard version and they are pretty well sealed against salt water ingress,  you don't have to use the liveliner function if you don't want to, and in which case you can just use it the same as a standard reel. I also have 5 of them, 2 x 2500, 1x 4500, 1x 6500, 1x 8500 and obviously prefer them to the standard reels. Just my opinion though, go to a store and try one out. The Penn Spinfishers have a tiny bit more resistance turning the handle compared to some other brands because of all the seals, but I quite like the feel, very good drags and they aren't as flimsy like some other brands in the same size.🙂

They are also a few steps up in the model range compared to the SSM models hence the dearer price. The Spinfishers also are also available in a non liveliner version too.

One thing though is, that if you want to buy a Penn neoprene reel cover for the Liveliner models then you will need the next size up. ie; 2500 and 4500 will require the "large" cover.

Hi Ed.

Thanks for the great tips. If I do end up purchasing one I'll definitely test it out on my rod before I buy it.

Cheers,

Hamish

5 hours ago, Tuna are fish said:

Back when i lived in NZ, bait runners were epic, you could just float a pilchard down a burly trail and catch snapper by the dozen.  it is also great for live baiting as you can have the drag loose and the tighten it with the flick of the switch,  for live baiting as you said you will be mainly using  it for i would say go for it.  Both look like good reels.

Thanks for the tips Tuna. Fishing in NZ sounds like good fun! Lots of snapper and kingies over there.

Cheers Hamish

I always carry at least one bait runner style reel for live baiting yakkas, allow me to set the baitrunner drag loose enough that the yakka can still swim and once you get a hit can quickly and easily increase the drag with a flick to strike.

If there are no livies i will sometimes use the baitrunner function to float baits out in the current.

So basically use it to get the bait (live or dead) to be able to move around more rather then in a fixed location if it were on a locked up reel.

5 hours ago, benno573 said:

hamish, a baitrunner is the perfect reel for the kind of fishing you do.

I used to run several when i regularly fished the river with livies, also great when floating baits for snapper, macks etc.  Great for shark fishing as well.

Very generous mr @ellicat - hopefully hamish can catch more fish on that reel that i have ever seen you catch! 😛 

Thanks for the tips Benno.

1 hour ago, Hweebe said:

I always carry at least one bait runner style reel for live baiting yakkas, allow me to set the baitrunner drag loose enough that the yakka can still swim and once you get a hit can quickly and easily increase the drag with a flick to strike.

If there are no livies i will sometimes use the baitrunner function to float baits out in the current.

So basically use it to get the bait (live or dead) to be able to move around more rather then in a fixed location if it were on a locked up reel.

Cheers Hweebe, sounds like they come in handy a lot when fishing in the bay/offshore as well as the estuaries. 

54 minutes ago, Eatsausage said:

It’s up to you if you wish to manually set the hooks after a fish runs or if you’d like to put on some circle hooks set the drag and put rods in holders and let them hook them selves upon running. I’d prefer them to hook themselves as that way they don’t get a chance to spit the bait out 

Thank you @Eatsausage - I almost always use circle hooks when livie fishing, so I think the baitrunner would be the best option.

Cheers Hamish

1. Will it make fishing easier?

2. Will the amount of use it gets justify the expense

I've just bought a 2500 baitrunner just for shark fishing (and for live baiting for flathead in the future. While you can just tighten the drag on a regular reel, i find that it can be a little clunky sometimes and have even lost fish due to playing with the drag tbh. i did actually find it very very handy when we had all 3 lines go at once last time i was out. i was able to just click 2 buttons and the drag set so i could fight the 1st fish. without them, i might have lost alot of line. Honestly, i think once you use it and hook a few fish, you will see how easy it is and you'll love it.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bigkingie said:

Handy if you want to let the fish run a bit before setting the hook and you don't want to hold the rod. So good for estuary flathead drifting, live baiting etc. I picked one up at last Sunday's markets by the way for $60. 

Thanks @bigkingie. I'm already on the quest for another one, on Gumtree and Marketplace. They are great reels.

Cheers Hamish